Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 08:38:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modifying MC8 Battery compartment to hold house batteries too  (Read 3090 times)
lv2rescue

Ignore
« on: September 25, 2007, 06:25:42 PM »

Hey,
has anyone modified the existing MC8 engine battery compartment to house both engine batteries and house batteries? It appears by my measurements, if I remove the duct work from the factory air and heat that I will end up with a rectangular compartment that is just about perfect for 2- 8D's on an upper shelf with a slide out, and a lower shelf with 4 golf cart batteries also on a slide out. I don't think this sheet metal is structural, but I am not 100% sure what is behind the duct work. Anyone tried this? What do you think?
Thanks in advance.
wvanative

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 06:35:57 PM »

Boy I have not seen it done in any conversions but it sounds like a great idea, and would free up space that usually would be used to store house batteries.

Dean Hamilton Villa Grove, IL East Central IL. Near Champaign
Still Dreaming and planning
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 06:40:57 PM »

I don't have an 8, I have a 5C. And I moved my batteries but I took the roll out trays and cut them apart. I added 3or so inches and now each one will hold 3  group 31 batteries.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
captain ron

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 06:44:27 PM »

Dallas is removing bus batteries from a MCI 8 and putting in engine compartment then trying to modify that area to hold an AC unit and genset. You can remove all panels in that bay you want to as they are not structural. The fuel tank also shares that bay.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 07:26:54 PM »

If you are not keeping the bus air. You do not need to keep the 2 8-d's. You can change over to group 31 batterys. Now as long as you are changeing over to group 31's you can move them to the engine compartment. This will give you a much shorter run from the batteries to the starter. Or put the 8D's in the battery compartment and have tons of room for the house battery's!
                                                  HTH Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

lv2rescue

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 07:55:19 PM »

I have done some preliminary measurements of the compartment and it looks like it will work. I just need to find a new spot for the engine battery shut-off switch. I currently have the house batteries in the engine compartment and the engine heat is just killing them. I am also concerned about the long term effects of increased corrosion to the rear compartment area. I am hoping that keeping them cool will help their longevity and also save some space for something else. I like having the 8D's as starter batteries for those cold start morniings where I need as many cranking amps as I can get. If it sounds viable I will start working on measuring twice to cut once and take some photos to help someone else do the same thing.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 05:39:36 AM »

We replaced our bus batteries with 2 group 31s and relocated them to the engine compartment (just inside the passenger side door of the engine compartment).  We removed the fiber glass duct that connects the blower compartment to the floor opening as well as the partition that separates the batteries from the rest of the compartment.  We added vents in the floor and made this our LP compartment. Looking into this compartment, to the right of the compartment is the fuel tank. Behind the compartment is the AC evaporator, heater core, and blower motor/fans. As was mentioned none of thsse walls are structural.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 05:47:06 AM »

I currently have the house batteries in the engine compartment and the engine heat is just killing them.

How do you determine something like this? For as many years as most of us can remember the automotive battery has lived in the engine compartment of the the automobile which should be in the same temperature range as the engine compartment of a bus and I have not seen any race to move them back under the floorboard like they were many years ago.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 07:46:58 AM »

lv2 - in most cases Group 31's will have more CCA's than 8D's - FWIW

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 07:55:03 AM »

I took out all the sheet metal and made the battery compartment go all the way through to the plywood panel that is behind where the condenser was. I put in a slide out tray and moved the shut off switch to the first bay wall. I have a total of ten batteries in the space I created some for starting some for the house some for the genset starting. The only thing I might have changed is to get a heavier duty tray to hold all the weight. I had to be creative with the cables so the tray and battery (and battery monitor) connections work their way in and out with out needing to be disconnected.

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 06:07:39 PM »

Richard, you took the words out of my mouth.

captain ron

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 09:14:56 PM »

It must of been while you were kissing me. Grin
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 09:35:25 PM »

It must of been while you were kissing me. Grin

I ain't even gonna ask who was kissing who or where they were kissing!

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 12:18:57 AM »

For as many years as most of us can remember the automotive battery has lived in the engine compartment of the the automobile which should be in the same temperature range as the engine compartment of a bus and I have not seen any race to move them back under the floorboard like they were many years ago.

Many modern vehicles have shrouded batteries with air ducts feeding cool air from the front of the vehicle so obviously heat must be of some concern. The standard auto charging system tends to undercharge the starting batteries anyway so heat is less likely to be a problem than with house batteries.

Another factor is the risk of overcharging a hot battery from a non-temperature compensated battery charger. With some types of batteries, high battery temperatures combined with high charging currents can supposedly result in a runaway effect.

jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 01:53:33 AM »

Many modern vehicles have shrouded batteries with air ducts feeding cool air from the front of the vehicle so obviously heat must be of some concern.

My bus may or may not be a modern vehicle, depending on your point of view. It does have a two great big blowers to force heat out of the injun compartment.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: