Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 21, 2014, 07:24:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modifying MC8 Battery compartment to hold house batteries too  (Read 3027 times)
ttomas

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2007, 03:16:32 PM »

In our mc9,in the battery comp., I have removed all duct work and unnessary things including the air cond. filter access door. My intention is to  build a rack to place the house batteries. there is ample room even though I still have the 8d batteries. I will replace the 8d's with smaller when they wear out.
   Removing the duct was not hard as I did it while the bus floor was out.
I installed the generator in the condensor/heat radiator compartment.
                                                   tomas
lv2rescue

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2007, 07:08:35 PM »

I have had problems with my 4 golf cart batteries getting hot in the engine compartment and when I park and plug in for the night, the battery charger just boils the batteries and all I smell is rotten eggs. So I usually wait overnight before I turn the battery charger on. That compartment gets REAL hot! I had another MC8 that had a small ABS water tank where the house batteries are on this one and the ABS melted. I gotta figure that is hard on batteries for the long term. Plus I want to get the corrosive stuff out of the engine compartment. Not sure what kind of long term corrosion issues might crop up.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I was hoping I wasn't the first to think of trying this. I started tearing out the panels yesterday. I'll also check into the group 31's.
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2007, 01:18:27 AM »

"the battery charger just boils the batteries "

and the opposite happens when the temperature is very low so the batteries are way undercharged.

Getting the (usually optional) remote battery temperature sensor solves this problem

DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2007, 05:06:26 AM »

I have had problems with my 4 golf cart batteries getting hot in the engine compartment and when I park and plug in for the night, the battery charger just boils the batteries and all I smell is rotten eggs. So I usually wait overnight before I turn the battery charger on. That compartment gets REAL hot! I had another MC8 that had a small ABS water tank where the house batteries are on this one and the ABS melted. I gotta figure that is hard on batteries for the long term. Plus I want to get the corrosive stuff out of the engine compartment. Not sure what kind of long term corrosion issues might crop up.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I was hoping I wasn't the first to think of trying this. I started tearing out the panels yesterday. I'll also check into the group 31's.

I very strongly recommend you get yourself a good digital voltmeter and clamp on ammeter if you do not already have them and check the output of your charger. . If your battery charger is boiling your batteries and you smell rotten eggs, then you have a defective battery charger or defective batteries. The heat is not causing the over charging, the overcharging is causing the heat.

I would also suggest you resolve this overcharging problem before you do anything else. It is extremely dangerous. The fumes you smell are very explosive and one small spark is all it would take to create a catastrophe.

Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2007, 07:45:21 AM »

Richard, rather than alarm lv unnecessarily, perhaps your comments on the info at
http://www.amplepower.com/primer/temp/index.html on the subject of temperature and batteries might be relevant to the discussion.

I would agree that the writing style is a little sensationalist, but the basic information - that generally heat stuffs things up and cool extends life-span -- is correct and the cautions are certainly applicable to batteries in the near vicinity of a ton and a half of hot metal in an enclosure with practically zero ventilation when the engine is shut down.

Temperature compensation and overcharging may not be an issue with a starting battery and normal alternator charging system since it is designed to undercharge the battery anyway, but a large capacity battery being hammered by a high capacity mains charger is surely deserving of special consideration and precautions when the battery is excessively hot. In the absence of temperature monitoring, it would make perfect sense to be cautious and the fact that no problems were reported if charging was delayed for a while indicates that the charger is probably quite OK.
Certainly any battery installed in the engine compartment would greatly benefit from substantial shielding from heat directly radiated from the engine, as well as separate ventilation to prevent "soaking" by conduction and convection after engine shut-down.

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2007, 09:45:41 AM »

Richard,

I agree with Tony about you caution on overcharging.  When I was in Vocational school the teacher put a battery on the shop charger in the back of the room.  That "room" was 80 feet long and had 25 foot ceilings.  With 30 of at our work benches he began his daily academic lessons.  20 min in there was a roaring boom from the back of the room followed a split second later by a loud BAM.  The battery had exploded and the entire top had been blown off.  The to went straight up and hit the 4 foot square heating/ventalation duct that was fied to the ceiling.  The top bent the duct in a good 6 inches.  Had any of us been bent over that batery we would have been killed.  Close and we would have easily lost hearing or sight due to the acid being sprayed everywhere within many feet.  It was luck that this happened when we were all gathered at the far end of the shop.  That battery was uncovered, sitting in the open and was on a stool next to the charger.  It was a freak accident....a fluke...an anomaly and it could have killed.  A crummy 6 volt battery!  I shudder at the thought of this kind of thing happening in an enclosed space from gas generated by a huge 8D bat. being charged at the rate to be expected.  The 8D being located next to the main fuel tank...well!  What sticks in my craw is when I hear the old salts say thibgs like "don't do that, it might spoil your day" and they are cautioning someone on using a proceedure that is potentially life threatening.  I was a supervisor for many years and it was my responsibility to make sure that none of my airmen came to harm.  That Brit stuff about understatement is funny but there is a hidden danger in not creating the appropriate emphasis.  Danger signs are RED for a reason.  In the statement the "he was killed in a feak accident"  the operative word there is "killed".  If you are over a battery compartment in the coach or standing outside the compartment or are 40 feet away when you are hit by the compartment door....you may likely be killed.  That would be my caution on boiling a battery in a compartment.  Thanks, Richard.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2007, 10:51:06 AM »

Well, I are cornfused!! I can not decide whether JohnED and tonylee are agreeing with me or not.  You'all have to underestand that I am just a dumb ole' redneck hillbilly and sometimes it is hard to get something thru this ole thick noggin. 

I tried to read the Ample Power writeup, but it was just a little too complicated for me to understand what the point they were trying to make is, so I will will tell you about my specific experience and is the reason I wrote the cautionary note to  lv2rescue. In hindsight, it appears that maybe I should have made it even stronger.

Anyhow, back in the early days of RV'ing I had a pickup truck with a slide in 12 ft. camper. I had installed a battery in the sink area to provide auxiliary (house) battery power.
I ignored the rotten egg smell I noticed occasionally as I was just a young squirt and had never experienced that before.

Sad to say, I should have not ignored the smell. I was on a trip, and fortunately the kids were not in the camper. A spark from somewhere (maybe the propane refrig) ignited the gases and it blew the top off the battery as well as blowing the sink out of the counter and up to the ceiling and blowing the doors off the sink cabinet. A tremendous amount of damage and I am sure if the kids had been in there at the time they would have been seriously injured or killed.

So, my post was to warn of the danger of overcharging, regardless of the compartment temperature.  I hope this clears everything up.
Richard

PS My opinion is that the temperature of a battery compartment will not cause the battery to overcharge and vent explosive fumes. A higher temperature may change the voltage at which a battery starts to boil somewhat, but my opinion is that the charging voltage must be in the 14 volt or higher range to cause this problem, regardless of the compartment temperature. 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 12:07:58 PM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2007, 01:24:18 PM »

I copied Jack's setup and put my propane cylinders in the old battery comapatment and moved my start batts to the engine compartment.
  I have had my batteries in this location for 4 years w/o any ill effects.    Photo below shows my relocated main power switch. The link below has more bus pics:
http://groups.msn.com/July2004Busphotos/shoebox.msnw?Page=1
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 01:26:51 PM by ChuckMC8 » Logged

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2007, 10:23:28 PM »

Richard,

I typed in "Tony" when i meant to type "you", meaning you Richard.  What I wrote was confusing in that regard.  You seem to have first hand experience similar to my highschool incedent.  Yes, I was agreeing with you completely.  Get a meter, do the battery boiling problem FIRST.

Sorry!  My vision blurs in the evening so you don't quite get your money's worth.  That won't be my last typo for sure.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2007, 04:53:36 AM »

Richard,

I typed in "Tony" when i meant to type "you", meaning you Richard.  What I wrote was confusing in that regard.  You seem to have first hand experience similar to my highschool incedent.  Yes, I was agreeing with you completely.  Get a meter, do the battery boiling problem FIRST.

Sorry!  My vision blurs in the evening so you don't quite get your money's worth.  That won't be my last typo for sure.

John

I understand now. Thanks. I suspected that was what you meant, but I was not really sure, just as I am sure that I will have typo's also. LOL

Richard

Dallas

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2007, 07:31:50 PM »

I thought I'd resurrect this thread again with the project I've been working on for Mike Hill and his MC9.

This is the battery box with sliding trays I put together to go in his engine compartment where the old A/C compressor had been.
The box will go in sideways and when the slides are pulled out the batteries will be able to be pulled out through the side door.
I made the slides a little more than 3/4 extension because of space constraints.
The sealed roller bearings are part #R8-ZZ from KML
They are about 1 1/4" tall and 5/16" wide.
The tubing is 1" square 14g and the slide rails are 1 1/4" X 3/16"
Dallas

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2007, 07:36:03 PM »

Here's a shot of the slides closed.

By the way, I made this tray so that it could hold 2 8D's, 6 T-105's or 6 Group 31's. To put 31's in it, the front and rear batteries will have to hang over by a couple of inches.
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2007, 07:42:33 PM »

lv,

I really doubt that the abient temps in the engine compartment are causing your batteries to boil over while charging.

that is a charging issue and nothing else.

I suspect you will boil your batteries wherever you put them if using that charger.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2007, 06:18:54 AM »

I really doubt that the abient temps in the engine compartment are causing your batteries to boil over while charging.

We have a thermistor in the engine compartment of our MC-8 to monitor the engine compartment temperature.  It is installed above the engine behind the blower openings.  With ambient temps in the 90s, engine compartment runs about 140-145.   Since water boils at 212 degrees (at sea level) the temp should not cause the batteries to boil.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2007, 07:49:42 AM »

I copied Jack's setup and put my propane cylinders in the old battery comapatment and moved my start batts to the engine compartment.
  I have had my batteries in this location for 4 years w/o any ill effects.    Photo below shows my relocated main power switch. The link below has more bus pics:
http://http://groups.msn.com/July2004Busphotos/shoebox.msnw?Page=1

Iteresting Chuck,

Are you coming to the to Kyles- Non Rally ?  would love to see/borow some of your ideas.

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: