Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 22, 2014, 02:01:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modifying MC8 Battery compartment to hold house batteries too  (Read 3273 times)
lv2rescue

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2007, 09:29:30 AM »

The off gasing occurs after a day of driving and then hooking up and automatically having the charger energized with shore power. If I wait overnight, and then turn the charger on, everything is fine. So is temperature compensation the issue?

I also did some battery research based on some of the responses I have received.
One mentioned 2 group 31's would have more cold cranking amps than 2 8D's. According to the manufacturer I spoke with I currently have 1400 CCA with 2 8D's, and 2 group 31's would have 950  CCA. So the myth is busted. Now if you want to put 4 group 31's then you would have 1900 CCA, but I thought the idea was to reduce weight, space, expense. I have had some tough starts in really cold (5 degrees F.)weather, so I sure like having the extra amps in the 8D's. I am also planning on putting in a block heater at some point.

I have all the ducting torn out and I am currently cleaning up the surfaces before I install some 20 gauge stainless to the back, top, and bottom of the compartment. I am looking at slimslider trays for the battery trays, just trying to verify my measurements to make sure it all fits.
Thanks again everyone for all your feedback on all this stuff.
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2007, 11:13:40 AM »

NewbieMC9- I'm in the process of bus shop construction-so I wont make it this year. You'd be welcome to stop by here- 30 miles west of Atlanta on I-20-  Chuck

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2007, 11:34:26 AM »

Lv2 - Although when I posted it I was not clear - I meant that the Group 31's CCA's Vs. the 8D's was on a pound per pound basis - sorry if I misled you

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2007, 05:52:59 PM »

"Since water boils at 212 degrees (at sea level) the temp should not cause the batteries to boil."

Yes, you are right Jack, but the term "boiling" is used to describe vigorous bubbling due to excessive gas production caused by overcharging.
---------------------
Battery temperature is an important factor in whether a battery is being overcharged at a particular voltage and the charging voltage needs to be reduced if the battery temperature is high. A charger that works correctly at ambient temperature MUST overcharge a battery at a high temperature unless it monitors the battery temperature and incorporates temperature compensation. Many chargers don't have this facility and even those that do, need to have the temperature probe mounted on the battery post to sense correctly.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: