Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 20, 2014, 09:27:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lethal towed  (Read 3162 times)
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2007, 05:58:08 AM »

Paul: Turning is one of the reasons for the crossed chains. With the chains in an X configuration, they can be almost tight. When you turn, one chain gets slack at the bus end while the opposite chain gets slack at the car end.  Try drawing it out on paper.

Component parts of the tow hitch (both ends) that are permanently bolted or welded to the vehicle frame are considered to be part of the frame. There is really no excuse for any part of that ever coming loose. Improper installation or lack of maintenance is not an excuse. The legitimate failure points are the coupler ball or mount failing and the pivot points where the tow bar connects to the car.

Note that some tow bar companies cover their butt by putting short cables around the pivot pins between the tow bar and the base plate. Two piece coupler balls have been illegal for many years. Use a 2" ball with a 1" stem machined out of a solid piece of steel and design the bus hitch to be close to the car height so that a big offset is not required on the stinger.
Dreamscape

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2007, 07:27:12 AM »

Stan,

Thanks for clarifying on how it's supposed to be done.

Paul
superpickle

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2007, 09:42:11 AM »

Does make me wonder just How the old fart had it hooked up  Huh

I have seen peeps with Both chains dragging and sparking like hell , made me very un easy to be close to them , for sure...  Roll Eyes

We will ALWAYS be at the mercy of the IDIOTS that think they can use Cruise to go in the back and make a sandwich...  Angry

Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2007, 07:49:44 PM »

I have seen peeps with Both chains dragging and sparking like hell , made me very un easy to be close to them , for sure...  Roll Eyes

We will ALWAYS be at the mercy of the IDIOTS that think they can use Cruise to go in the back and make a sandwich...  Angry

Paul,
I don't know who started that nasty rumor! It is a bold face LIE!! I do not go to the back to make a sandwich! I don't even have a fridge!

I set the cruise so I can go to the back and pee! LOL!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
superpickle

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2007, 09:20:37 PM »

Paul,
I don't know who started that nasty rumor! It is a bold face LIE!! I do not go to the back to make a sandwich! I don't even have a fridge!

I set the cruise so I can go to the back and pee! LOL!
Grin  BK  Grin

Oh... OK, thats Different.. NEVER MIND  Grin

Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2007, 05:22:11 AM »

What is everyones feelings about safety CHAINS vs. safety Cables?  We use cables. I think I heard or read somewhere that cables are less apt to snap or break under a hard load than a chain.  Opinions, comments, BTDTs?  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2007, 06:16:57 AM »

Depends on the cable or chain size. Either is fine if they are properly sized for the application.

I saw a s&s with what looked like a dog chain for safety chains - I hope he never needed them!

I was told by a state trooper that the SC law did not require safety chains - only required the towed vehicle must remain attached to the tow vehicle. There is no reduction in responsibility if the towed vehicle separates from the tow vehicle regardless of the safety chain use or lack there of.

Personally, I cross the chains under the hitch to cradle the trailer tongue if there is a separation.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2007, 07:18:09 AM »

Personally, I cross the chains under the hitch to cradle the trailer tongue if there is a separation.

I thought everybody did this. Also the chains should be tight enough to prevent the trailer tongue from touching the ground if it comes unhooked. As long as the chains are crossed, it is impossible to get them too tight.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2007, 07:32:41 AM »

We use the coiled 3/8" diameter safety cables (6000# rating). We wrap the coils around the arms of the towbar and cross them under the hitch before attaching them to the bus. I tested this configuration by connecting everything then unhitched the towbar and pushed the car backwards. As the cables tightened up the towbar remained off the ground about 2" below the ball on the hitch.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2007, 05:37:23 PM »

I thought everybody did this. Also the chains should be tight enough to prevent the trailer tongue from touching the ground if it comes unhooked. As long as the chains are crossed, it is impossible to get them too tight.

At least one member was not aware of crossing the chains. I think the second part of your sentence is only true if the chains are equally spaced at both ends. If they are wide spaced on the towed vehicle and close to the ball on the towing vehicle you need a little bit of slack.
Dreamscape

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2007, 05:52:39 PM »

At least one member was not aware of crossing the chains. I think the second part of your sentence is only true if the chains are equally spaced at both ends. If they are wide spaced on the towed vehicle and close to the ball on the towing vehicle you need a little bit of slack.

That would be me.  Grin I have never towed anything behind our bus, or even towed a car behind anything. So this is all new and good information for me. Someday we might tow a toad, so this will help. Thanks for the information.

Paul
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: