Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 11:22:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can a 6-71 with 2 valve head get a jake? I have come across a few references  (Read 1853 times)
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« on: September 28, 2007, 03:52:35 AM »

that said you needed to have a 4 valve head.  Is this so?  I checked the jacobs site and other than the part # they do not have too much info on 6-71 jakes.  Any and all info appreciated, patrick.

HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 02:23:57 PM »

Dunno.  Yeah, I also went to www.jakebrake.com and they quickly sent me some huge files on the older Jake Brake products that needed to be modified for my application.  Cummins pancake.

In the past, they actually answered my phone calls live and in person and got me an engineering question answered in about 5-6 minutes.  Very professional.

If memory serves, yes, they did in fact make the Jake for the DD 2-valve head models, which is what everyone had when they came out with the Jake.

Be obsolete stuff now, but that is most of our situations.  The Jake gentleman also told me they made a few for the 110 Detroit six.  Hummmmm!!!    Good luck.  Smiley Smiley Smiley
larryh
4905A-893 P8M

ready to run with the big dogs

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 02:50:27 PM »

I can remember installing a set on a 6-71  it's been over 30 years I believe they came off a cummins 220

the gentlemen that has the truck at least still did abt 3 yrs ago is from Metaline WA can't remember his name maybe it will come to me he had it in a old B Model Mack.

Larry H

Savvy ponderable:
A cowboy's only afraid of two things:
havin' ta walk,
and the love of a good woman.
"This posting was generated using an environmentally friendly, self contained flatulence generator, therefore no fossils or neutrons were harmed in the creation of this posting.

Quartzsite,
CraigC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 10:10:59 PM »

I have had several on 2 value inline 671's. I have some of the caps that are necessary to install them on a 2 value head. I also have a old instruction/parts manual with the necessary info. If this is of any interest contact me at Craigc at hughes dot net.

Craig C
Central, Calif.
4104  8V71TA/V730

Craig C
4104 8V71TA/V730
zubzub

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 07:28:06 AM »

So basically that is a no, unless I luck out.  Thanks, I guess I'll work on the hand brake.

Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 08:44:28 AM »

So basically that is a no, unless I luck out.  Thanks, I guess I'll work on the hand brake.

Don't waste your time.  The hand brake is all but useless just for parking, it will have almost no effect if you are moving.

A well maintained brake system, upgraded to spring brakes and all new valves will serve you well.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Dave Siegel

Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 04:18:39 PM »

Hey Len you are right. Our coach almost caught on fire from the hand brake. But I don't understand the part about spring brakes. I have completely rebuilt the brakes on our coach and they work great. I have increased the size of the cans, there are springs on the new shoes and the drums have been rebuilt with new hubs and magna-fluxed. What am I missing here. (Oh, by the way our coach is a 1948.)

Dave & Jan Siegel    1948 GMC  "Silversides"
               Naples, Florida
   Dave is Host to the "Help Assist Pages"
  (Free roadside help for Bus Conversions)
         www.help-assist-list.com
zubzub

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 04:54:16 PM »

I really want some redundancy in the braking.  Spring brakes are not going to help if my brakes are shot(overheated /whatever)  this bus will be going to mexico, and some of dem hills is steep, you kind of need to take a run at them.  Patrick.

CraigC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 07:31:17 PM »

Patrick
I do not understand your statement basically NO.

Yes, Jakes can be installed on a 2 value head.

Craig C
4104 8V71TA/V730
zubzub

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 08:26:04 PM »

I meant it sounds like a bear to find the parts etc...so while possible, unlikely.

CraigC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 10:49:34 PM »

Patrick
I have 12 caps that are specific to the 2 value head installation. That is enough to do 2 - 671's all of the rest of the parts are the same as a 4 value head. You do not use the jake bridges that are used on the 4 value head.
I hopes that is of some help.
Craig

Craig C
4104 8V71TA/V730
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: