Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 01:18:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Webasto in a seated 102A3 ?  (Read 1169 times)
Fredward

MC-5A #5401 8" roof raise 8V71 with MT647

Ignore
« on: September 28, 2007, 07:40:39 PM »

I was snooping around a local bus garage this afternoon and there was what appeared to be a 102 sitting there that they are planning to junk out. I couldn't recognize the engine other than i know it was not a two stroke Detroit. I noticed what appeared to be a diesel fired water heater hooked up to the engine. Was that a fairly common option on newer coaches delivered to cold weather climates?

Would there be any value to me in getting them to sell it to me? Could I adapt it for use in my bus? What would it be worth? Is there separate control circuitry for it that could be salvaged? Or would be required?

I know the shop manager, so I can ask him, but he was gone by the time I got there today. Mostly wondering if its usable and what it might be worth.

Fred

Fred Thomson
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 05:11:32 PM »

All the new coaches 'round here are equipped from the factory with diesel fired heaters, Webasto, Espar, Proheat. I'd hazard a guess to think that it is a standard option no matter the destination of the coach from the factory, but what do I know?

Four strokes don't make enough heat to keep the motor at operating temp and the interior warm at the same time.

Also set up as block heaters for at the ski slopes.

Also, all the transits have been equipped for as long as the 4 strokes have been installed.

Good used take-out, all bits and pieces to make it work included, no more than $500, less if you can get away with it.

Just so you know, the cigarette pack sized controller costs somewhere $500 new all by itself new....

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 07:02:26 PM »

All the new coaches 'round here are equipped from the factory with diesel fired heaters, Webasto, Espar, Proheat. I'd hazard a guess to think that it is a standard option no matter the destination of the coach from the factory, but what do I know?

Four strokes don't make enough heat to keep the motor at operating temp and the interior warm at the same time.

Also set up as block heaters for at the ski slopes.

Also, all the transits have been equipped for as long as the 4 strokes have been installed.

Good used take-out, all bits and pieces to make it work included, no more than $500, less if you can get away with it.

Just so you know, the cigarette pack sized controller costs somewhere $500 new all by itself new....

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Another bus nut sold me a new Proheat X45 when his life changed course, but it didn't come with the 7 day timer of which you speak. A query to the manufacturer netted the usual result..."Contact an authorized dealer" (and pay full retail).
So I kept an eye on the Eplace, and snagged a brand new one about 2 months ago for $38.56 shipped.

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 07:02:17 AM »

Hi Guy's

You really don't need the timer. A simple home t-stat or on/off switch will work just fine. You need to know which two wires to use though...

Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Fredward

MC-5A #5401 8" roof raise 8V71 with MT647

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 09:56:10 AM »

I guess I better check on it. Knowing the service manager, he might just say "take it out".

Buswarrior, will i have to look far to find the brain box? Or as Nick was saying, do I just hook up the water fuel and give it voltage to make it work? -Nick what do you think?

Fred

Fred Thomson
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 10:31:27 AM »

Hi Guy's

You really don't need the timer. A simple home t-stat or on/off switch will work just fine. You need to know which two wires to use though...
Good Luck
Nick-

I have the ProHeat X45 install manual, as well as the 7 day timer install book. If anyone needs any of the info, email or PM me and I'll send it to you.

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 03:13:52 PM »

Hello Fredward.

Webasto is the brand I'm familiar with.

The brain box is attached to the side of a Webasto. There are a number of excellent safety features, limit switches and thermostatic features on these to prevent them from burning down the house.

I am led to believe that the others are quite similiar, in that they have a number of protection and control circuits that must work in concert to function safely.

The control up at the driver is another set of fun, which is easily understood if you have the manual.

Some have timers digital, some have timers 3 day clock, some just have on and off, depends on vintage and which one was optioned.

Webasto has all of their manuals, very detailed, available online for free.

As long as they give you the complete Furnace, with the length of wire cut off, and the driver's control with a length of wire cut off, you should be good to put it back together.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 06:20:11 PM »

Hi Fred,

If it's a Proheat, there is 4 wires that run to the timer. Use the red & green wires in the timer harnes to cycle the proheat on and off.

The other 2 wires [black & white] are for powering up the timer.

Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 04:53:53 AM »

If you have a ProHeat, You can go to this site and download the manual  (it is about 88 Pages)  Jack

http://www.teleflexcomfortpro.com/pdf/Truck_&_Bus/Proheat_X45/Installation_&_Maintenance/X45_Service_Eng.pdf

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: