Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 05:27:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ?best plsce to install block heater?  (Read 2495 times)
ttomas

Ignore
« on: September 30, 2007, 10:30:10 AM »

could any one tell me the beat place to install a block heater on a mc9-6v92. I have one that came off of my last bus. It goes in line in the water system. The old one was a cummins engine and the heater was below was the radiator. any other advice or ideas are very welcome. Thanks
 tomas
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 02:16:32 PM »

The best place is on the block at a 4 bolt plate on the pax side of the engine.   Location is right beside the dipstick.   You'll see a flat plate retained by 4 bolts.  You may find a block heater is installed. 
I'd recommend using the correct DD style block heater.  They are not expensive and it'll work.  You may be able to rig something with your rad hose heater...but you cannot use it in th radiator hoses...you'll only heat the rads in an MC9.   I don't believe you'll have room for it below the water pump.  Not sure what would be heated up from there??  For sure the correct block heater/location will heat both banks in short order. 
The correct block heater is a PITA to install, it will require that you remove the water from the engine.  The chassis coolant can be isolated with two gate valves, one of which is located beneat the Pax side engine frame rail, and the other is in the one inch line that crosses over the engine and trans.  It is a little more difficult to reach, but it can be done.  If you still have access to engine floor hatches, it's easy to access. 
Plan on a method to catch 12 gallons (engine and rads only)and keep it clean if your coolant is in good condition.   
If not...drain the whole cooling system and refill with the correct coolant.   
The dipstick may have to be slightly reshaped to get the block heater leads to exit properly.
Get the old gasket off and do a neat job of sealin up the new block heater.  Too much touble to redo. 
Be sure to bleed the cooling system when you finish, before you start the engine.  Once run, check it for air in the coolant again. 
HTH, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 03:17:19 PM »

You may look for the right one at your local parts places, and find out they were wrong, or call Luke at US Coach, and the right one, and some free advice if you need it, will be on the way. 888-262-2434

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
ttomas

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 04:39:31 PM »

Thanks ever so much guys. i will install a DD heater.   Tom
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 07:51:22 PM »

Regardless of what you install, keep in mind that the element cannot touch metal in the engine.   Be sure that the element has clearance around the element.  The correct unit will have.  The heater may not be a DD product, but will be designed for your engine.
Buswarrior gives good advice suggesting US Coach (Luke) for sourcing your block heater.
US Coach will get it right the first time.  And, they will ship quickly.  Ask for Mike.  He's the parts guy and will get you fixed up.
If you have an ex-NJT, let them know.  There are a good many components on NJTs that are not standard MC9 fare.   A block heater is not one of those items. 
If you have an ex-NJT, there's a small door adjacent to the RH taillight that has a plug inside for a block heater.   May need some TLC, but probably useable.  You may also find the wires inside the RH engine compartment laying under the AC compressor.  Check them for condition...may be useable. 
A better idea, but much more work, is to install a switch in the dash to control the block heater and wire it thru the house circuit.  Be sure that you consider the 15A that block heaters use if you wire it through the house panel.  You may not have 15A of headroom.  If you have 50A service it's likely you do have. 
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 04:01:45 AM »

I see my bus has a cord hanging under the compressor that I have assumed is a block heater but I need to get power back to it some way. I waqnt to test it out before leaving in Nov for Yuma. Jerry

1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 05:30:49 PM »

i'm glad the rest of you got here first.  i was just goin to tell him to put it on the engine.  that's where i put mine.  Cheesy 

but i had an audience laughing while i did it - Gumpy, Jack Conrad and Ray, Bill and a few other kibitzers

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: