Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 20, 2014, 04:15:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: does my bus need to be inspected?  (Read 2727 times)
4106-123

Ignore
« on: October 03, 2007, 06:42:43 PM »

1961 4106 does it need some type of dot inspection? i can not find a definitive answer using the search feature so i thought i would ask. if it does need to be inspected were would one go? i live in nc thanks!
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 06:58:46 PM »

Short simple answer is NO it is not required by law to be inspected!
Now on the other hand, if ya really want to keep up with what kinda shape it is in. It would be wise to either find a "Bus Friendly Garage" (I believe Uncle Ned & NCBob know a great one in NC) & have them to do a annual inspection on it for you, with out the paper work & red tape of course! If it'll pass the DOT required annual inspection, you'll have no worries for at least a yr! Just my thoughts, as I am a commercial bus operator and qualified to do DOT annual inspections @ our KY LAkeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage! We'd be more than happy to do it for you, but in all honesty there are literally hundreds of quite qualified locations between us & you that would be easier for you to have it done at! Just check with the local charter outfits and see if they can do it (if not they know who can!). Just be sure to let the inspecting mechanic know that your only having this done for your own personal piece of mind that all is safe and that you don't need a sticker,any paper work or even his signiture. Just his personal & professional honest opinion as to what the condition of your coach is! Now if there are major problems that you already know about either fix them first, or don't be mad when he tells you his honest opinion as it might not be exactly what ya wish to hear from someone your paying to tell you what condition your coach is in! JMHO FWIW Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 05:06:15 AM »

Bryce is correct...in NC if the bus is over 35 years old, and registered as a Home Car, is is exempt from inspection.

You'll find the regulation on the NCDOT web site although it takes some doing. I printed it out just in case some wise-a$$ State trooper isn't aware of it if I'm stopped and carry it attached to my vehicle papers.  You needn't worry about it when traveling in other States as they can't enforce NC vehicle inspection laws anyway.  Your local Tag Office should be able to furnish you a copy.

Bob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 06:28:18 AM »

a strange rule that says that a 35 YO bus/MH travelling at 70mph is somehow intrinsically safer than a 34 YO bus/MH.  Logically should be inspected twice a year at that age.

bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 06:43:25 AM »

Logically maybe, but not legally. 

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 07:08:42 AM »

Quote from: tonylee
a strange rule that says that a 35 YO bus/MH travelling at 70mph is somehow intrinsically safer than a 34 YO bus/MH.  Logically should be inspected twice a year at that age.

Not in my shop! I want it to be sitting still while I do the inspection! Besides Belfert's the only one who ever pulled outta my shop doing 70 mph! LOL!
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
tomhamrick

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 07:45:18 AM »

I live in NC and have a normal auto inspection sticker on my Eagle. Same as S&S motorhomes.
Tom Hamrick

Tom Hamrick
1991 Prevost H3-40 VIP
1981 Eagle 10
Forest City, NC
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 07:56:59 AM »

I believe that the state of NC has found out that people that have and drive older vehicles take better care of them than the younger cars.
    If you have a 1996 or newer the inspection is 19:00$ they are the only ones the can track to make sure you pay to drive on the state highways."just another tax" in the name of saftey and emissions.
   buy a computer that can reset the codes then take it buy and get it inspected  always passes.

uncle ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
kingfa39

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 12:49:44 PM »

I lived in NC for 27 yrs with my bus, the only inspection that was needed is a reg vehicle inspection same as a car. NC is a vehicle frendly place and i had my bus inspected there 27 times. No need to worry
Frank Allen
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 01:31:15 PM »

Where I live in SW OR, our County right now does NOT have any vehicle inspection/emissions testing program at all.  This will eventually change as our trusty Gov signed stuff requiring it.  Oh well.

However...yeah, as NC has found out, older people who own and use older equipment like coach RVs usually (not always) keep their stuff in better shape than younger people with newer stuff.   Go figure.

People sometimes laugh with me and say I keep my '74 Crown Super Coach in better shape than I medically/physically keep myself.  Yep.  I can fix my bus and I do.  Me?......Oh well.  Time marches on.  Smiley Smiley Smiley
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 01:39:37 PM »

even if not required.....it might be a good idea from time to time have one done.  not many regularly get under thier bus

a inspection every now and then for state of mind of nipping something in the butt may save you a bunch of money.

ex:  Recently had my MC-8 inspected ( PA requires it annuallyand also among the most strict) noted a leaking front wheel seal.  noted early enough it did not rui the brake lining
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 05:26:13 PM »

I just take mine to the dealer every year.  fluid and filter change and inspection.  They are coached to find stuff for me to spend money on, but I do like the result.  Twice they have found things that could have left me on the side of the road, not to mention spending a lot more to get it fixed than the mere $95 an hour at Prevost.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Charles Seaton

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 02:09:51 PM »

I have always had my historic coaches inspected each year.  Not a requirement in NY, but a good way to keep up with issues.  During ther first few years, I even displayed the stickers until being informed by a police officers that it was not necessary.
NCbob

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 09:28:36 AM »

4106-123 Asked specifically about Inspections in NC so here's the straight skinny right from the DOT pages:

Vehicle Requirements

Vehicle Safety Inspection

A North Carolina vehicle safety inspection is required within 10 days of receiving a North Carolina license plate or by the last day of the month printed on the inspection sticker. Vehicles 35 years old, or older, are exempt from the North Carolina vehicle safety inspection. The cost of a passed safety inspection is $9.10. The vehicle inspection can be performed at any of the 7,500 licensed inspection stations throughout the state. Most service stations, automobile dealerships and vehicle repair garages are licensed inspection stations.

NCbob

belfert

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2007, 11:21:56 AM »

What kind of safety inspection is the state requiring that costs $9.10?  That amount won't buy more than 5 or 10 minutes of shop time in most car shops.

My bus had a state of Virginia safety inspection done, but it was done by the SELLING dealer!  Of course it will pass!  It is a huge conflict of interest to allow a dealer to do state safety inspections for vehicles they are selling.  My bus never would have passed a legitimate safety inspection done to state rules.  I did call someone over at the State of Virigina to complain about them allowing dealers to inspect their own vehicles, but I can't recall what came of it.

I stopped at a Detroit dealer in Roanoke, Viriginia to have an oil change and basic engine/tranny inspection done.  They had a list from the state of VA posted that listed everything that was to be inspected on a vehicle during an inspection.  The fee for a tractor-trailer is $51.  No way would any shop do an inspection to the state requirements for $51.  One requirement says at least two wheels/drums are to be pulled and inspected.

Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2007, 12:10:22 PM »

Brian,

When were you here? If I would have known we could had done lunch or something. Dennis (Hi Yo Silver) might have been able to come along also. Next time look us up.

Laryn

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2007, 12:44:14 PM »

Brian,

When were you here?
If I would have known we could had done lunch or something. Dennis (Hi Yo Silver) might have been able to come along also. Next time look us up.

Laryn

Long time ago, back when the DINA Saga began! LOL!

www.kylakesidetravel.net

belfert

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2007, 12:48:07 PM »

This was back in April of '06.  I haven't been any further east than BK's place since then.
NCbob

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2007, 02:54:18 PM »

Brian, we do things the easy way here in NC with as little government control as possible.  I know you folks from the big northern states have a problem with anything that doesn't cost a lot of money...but here it's just to make sure the lights and signals are operating properly, wipers and horn.  That's it.

As it is, these inspections are nothing more than an undercover tax which goes over like a pork chop at a Bar Mitzvahs with us laid back folks.

Our state gives the owner or operator the credit for having good sense about putting a vehicle on the road with less than complete working brakes or running gear...the penalties for which are astronomical.

Bob

belfert

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2007, 05:43:24 PM »

I live in Minnesota and we don't have any vehicle inspections at all.  Just pay your yearly tab fee and you're good to go.  We did have emissions testing for about 5 years in the Minneapolis metro area, but that has been gone for a number of years.
ArtGill

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2007, 05:57:26 PM »

A little more on NC.  The inspection must have a building large enough to hold the Vehicle being inspected.  So, this eliminates may of the inspection stations.  Our coaches are old enough that they can't do the emissions test.  If your car is new enough to have the plug to check its computer, the inspection is $35.00.  And if you have current license plates on a car and don't get it inspected they will mail you a fine of $250.00, even you don't have wheels on your car.  The government gotcha's never end.

Art

Art & Cheryll Gill
Morehead City, NC
1989 Eagle Model 20 NJT, 6v92ta
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: