Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 30, 2014, 03:29:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (i bet) this question has never been asked ???  (Read 4733 times)
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2007, 02:06:43 PM »

A very good question and the answers are many---it all depends upon the type of bus and the experiece level of the driver.  My '74 Crown 40' ex-schoolie has a turning circle equal to, or greater than, the Queen Mary or a Air Craft Carrier.  A big one.  Or maybe an Enterprise class Starship.

I mean when I first got her, I had to routinely turn left 3 times soosss I did not have to turn right.  Now am just used to it.  Did have my mechanic friend check to sees if there was some way to tighten up the turning radius.  He told me no, it was the 16K front axle and fat tires.  Good luck.  Smiley Smiley Smiley
Charles Seaton

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2007, 02:13:55 PM »

Forget bus drivers parking buses.  Some of the newer ones have rarely engaged reverse.  The best limited space drivers are mechanics and shifters. It takes a lot of skill to park rows of buses only a foot apart.
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2007, 02:35:26 PM »

One of my proudest moments was when I parallel parked a 40' tour bus in a single space once, and on the first try!  I didn't know I could, I just wasn't smart enough not to try it in front of the people waiting to load.  Phewww!  I would rather be LUCKY than SMART sometimes.  LOL
Dennis   

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
scottie

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2007, 04:45:54 AM »

boy there some great answers to my question... thank you!!

i was just heading out the door,tape measure in one hand ,digital camera in the other, to measure the road from ditch to ditch and measure my lane way tree to tree,but its POURING RAIN  so another day lol

there is a school bus for sale about 20 minutes away from here....gee i could ask the guy for a test drive and see if that would fit in my laneway,,,thats all i need getting that big yellow thing stuck inbetween two trees and calling the guy up and telling him ill buy it, but you have to come here to pick up the money lol

i do see school buses fly down my road ,i could allways flag one down and see what they think.
with my luck a mci will come up for sale,excellent condition,really close to here,and a great price,and i cant even park it in my own laneway..
scottie
scottie

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2007, 05:48:11 AM »

okay im back, the rain slowed down so i ran out ,tooks 4 pictures which i cannot post  (too big?) so ill only post one,and i did some  measureing

the road from ditch to ditch is 26 feet,
 the laneway ditch to ditch is 15 feet
distance between my gate posts is 13 feet....

so if i was able to get the bus into my laneway, it would fit between the gate posts ...right ?? 96 inches or 102 inches wide??
so any comments,do you think i have enough room,or should i go shopping for a "short" bus
scottie
maria-n-skip

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2007, 06:48:31 AM »

Scottie,

I might be a little worried about the mail box. What you can do now that you have some dimensions is to get a piece of paper and simulate it by hand.

To scale draw out the intersection. With a compass bysect the the 90 deg angles.
 Set you compass to 52 foot scaled. move up and down the intersected line with the compass to be on the driveway going onto the road. Draw the arc. then do the same from the road to your driveway. These would represent the pathes you would need to drive. If it cuts the
 corner where the two roads meet then you may have to fill in that area. Play with moving
 up and down the intersect line to see the different path you could take. If you have outside
 room on the arcs to the outside road then you can go with a larger turning radius. Don't
forget this is the inside path add the 8 feet or so to the arc for the outsie of the bus.

I'm sure I didn't explain that very well but I hope you get the idea.

Skip

H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2007, 09:45:29 AM »

Kind of difficult to tell distance and perspective from a picture, but it looks to me that you will have no problems.  YOu will have start your turn on the far side of the road from the lane as the rears will follow a path about 8 or 9 feet inside the arc  the front tires take.  Mine is tighter than what this looks like, and is not an issue.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2007, 01:48:22 PM »

Looks like something might make that turn, probably scrape a little onthe mailbox and do a little cross-country at the edges of the roadway and driveway.

An schoolie probably could make the turn, But an MCI and a lot of the highway coaches would need some extra space. They just don't turn quite as tight as buses like Flx 870's and RTS buses.

Oh.. and my use of the terms turning radius or variances.. Brain Fart.. Sorry about that.... Cheesy

The best part of driving a great handling bus is knowing exactly where the edges are at all times.

We and I say that loosley and while trying not to say exactly where. Used to run 40 foot RTS buses through ticket booth lanes with 4 inches of tire clearance at 50 mph. Usually scared the fudge out of the booth attendants after hours. It was the only fun the late night shift had while ferrying the buses back to the garage area.

If in doubt get out and look where your tracks are. Big parking lots are good places to do actual turning tests also.

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2007, 03:56:17 PM »

I am going to say.....yes, any highway coach save a maybe a 45 footer will make that turn...not much wiggle room though

schoolies are not a good comparison
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2007, 03:58:03 PM »

I think backing in would pose more of an issue due to front end swing, would have to have the bus just in the right spot starting off to allow the @$# to go in and the front not to walk into the ditch
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2007, 04:48:45 PM »

Well I'll bet $ that if someone will pay me to take a few terrible days off work, & for fuel, meals, expenses, etc. I could take my 45'er up there and back it in on the first try, and make it look like childs play! Any taker$?
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2007, 06:48:17 PM »

Well I'll bet $ that if someone will pay me to take a few terrible days off work, & for fuel, meals, expenses, etc. I could take my 45'er up there and back it in on the first try, and make it look like childs play! Any taker$?
Grin  BK  Grin

I could probably do it also. It takes patience and experience. Knowing where your edges are always helps too. No I am not game for a challenge. I have done more difficult turns. May not have been pretty but they can be done.

Sound like it time for a bus rodeo to me?...

We would need a lot of cones and really big parking lot. Ever done a slalom in reverse for 1,000 feet
through cones set 100 feet apart? I have and fast too.. Or did the instructor say I went too fast?

Or backing through a 180 degree turn without touching any cones with the front or back wheels?

The mouse is tough on their bus drivers...

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2007, 06:58:23 PM »

man thats an Idea for Arcadia....Conversion Rodeo
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2007, 05:50:32 AM »

Scottie,

i'm throwing out an opinion based on my limited experience as a since my bus was the first one i drove too.

- Go ahead and move the mailbox by choice.  no need to have an extra uneeded worry

- fill the ditches at the corners  with large rocks,  just in case you have a little trouble at night.  I learned that one on a fun filled new years eve. Cheesy

look up,  branches can do damage.  I took out the tree at the end of my driveway after it claimed a window awning.  if you trim branches, trim them at the base,  ---another scar from a fellow busnuts driveway.

-remember that you are sitting in front of the front wheels, and may have to hang out over a ditch and let the wheels but it does make it easy to get the bumper close.

just my youghtas

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2007, 05:52:08 AM »

man thats an Idea for Arcadia....Conversion Rodeo

Hmmm, I check into this.  One other thing to remember when turning the bus is that you will be sitting in front of the front wheels. You can actually be sitting "off the road" while your front wheels are still on the road when turning.  Jack

Oops, Looks like Newbee & I posted same message at the same time
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 05:56:39 AM by JackConrad » Logged

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: