Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 22, 2014, 04:27:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying to get a STEEL building Quote..  (Read 2794 times)
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2007, 10:08:26 PM »

Super,

I have a friend in Pa. that built a pole building the same size you are anticipating.  He also with 16 foot walls and a dropped/suspended ceiling.  He did 6 inches of insulation and had the ceiling thickly insulated with fibergalss bats...maybe 12 inches.  In the summer, in the heat and humidity of Pa. , you got a chill when you walked into the place.  In the winter the single house sized furnace kept the place toasty.  It was a cavernious place and he did it right.  No air leaks and a spendy thermo rollup door.  He had the pole and roof done by a pole bld builder and he contracted for the concrete.  The rest he did himself.  He was a frugal sort and I think he did the entire project for 15 or 18 grand in 89.

Good luck on your project, don't scrimp on the insulation and you don't need any windows.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
superpickle

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2007, 10:22:23 PM »

Super,

I have a friend in Pa. that built a pole building the same size you are anticipating.  He also with 16 foot walls and a dropped/suspended ceiling.  He did 6 inches of insulation and had the ceiling thickly insulated with fibergalss bats...maybe 12 inches.  In the summer, in the heat and humidity of Pa. , you got a chill when you walked into the place.  In the winter the single house sized furnace kept the place toasty.  It was a cavernious place and he did it right.  No air leaks and a spendy thermo rollup door.  He had the pole and roof done by a pole bld builder and he contracted for the concrete.  The rest he did himself.  He was a frugal sort and I think he did the entire project for 15 or 18 grand in 89.

Good luck on your project, don't scrimp on the insulation and you don't need any windows.

John

Oh no, not going cheep on insulation, The 6" was the only Option they gave Id rather have 12"  Grin
Heat will be a Pellet stove. I have one now and its awesome. They put out heat at about 86% efficiency I love it, and it heats our 1600 sq ft well.. Plan on a Tankless water heating system as well. I have that here too. Very economicle. Saves Tons of propane..

How come I dont need any Windows  Huh You dont want me lookin Out  Shocked  Huh

Paul...  Grin

Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2007, 12:18:38 AM »

Belfert - If they're gonna do that tun key for $17.50 sq.ft. - TAKE IT

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
belfert

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2007, 05:34:06 AM »

Belfert - If they're gonna do that tun key for $17.50 sq.ft. - TAKE IT

I think it is a good price.  I wonder if the garage guys are hurting due to the housing market?  I was told the other day that bids for home building are up to 15% less than a year or two ago.

My issue is I have an existing house to sell, but my house should be very desireable as it is five years old in an established neighborhood and has a view of a large lake.  I was going to wait on building my new place until I sell my house in the spring, but I found two very nice pieces of land and the owner has dropped the price substantially to get them sold.  I have to decide if I take a gamble and start construction on a new home while I still own my current one.

They aren't making any more land, especially in a large metro area.  A lot of land is locked up in large developments with restrictive convenants that do not allow construction of large garages for a bus.

DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2007, 05:53:37 AM »

For anyone building something like this, I would strongly recommend considering a waste oil furnace that burns waste oil or hydraulic oil. I bought a used one off ebay a few years ago and the savings in natural gas paid for it in about three months.

I was originally concerned about obtaining the waste oil but found it to be absolutely no problem to obtain. The local oil distributor sole me used 55 gallon drums for $5 each and I ended up with about 50 drums of oil when I sold the business.

Many service shops pay someone to take their waste oil, so they were glad to have me take it for free. A free ad in the penny saver brought in many gallons and I finallly had to quit accepting free oil.

Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
superpickle

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2007, 08:46:22 AM »

Been surfing the net for quotes.. got a call early this morning from "U.S. Buildings"  nice guy, said they been in buisness for 20 years.. he had adeal on pre orderd building that was canceled and Overstock.. My red flags went up emediatly WOOOOP  WOOOPPP Clang Clang Clang...  When i told him that I was Not ready to buy at this time, he said, Well I gotta go sell some buildings BYE..

SCAMM  Tactics.. DONT fall for this Crapp.. Its a common tactic to get you to Buy now so tou dont miss the Reall Big Deal thats NOT a Really bog deal..

US Building is on my SH*T list for sure..  Roll Eyes

Paul....

Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2007, 09:41:08 AM »

Paul,

For sure be careful in dealing with these people.  I sold a truck to a steele bld builder and it was a serious effort to get my money.  That doesn't mean they are all crooks, for sure but people that are nomadic have a tendancy.....

My friend didn't install windows because they are portals for breakins and they are a big heat sink.  I used his shop for more than a year and I never missed the windows.  Admittedly, I was usually under something or had a welders hood on my head.

Good luck,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2007, 09:20:38 PM »

Superpickle, you have to pay for erection? Shocked

For that kind of money you think that would come free!!! Grin

You know others wanted to say it. I just took the time!

Can't wait until I get of of California and my postage stamp sized yard, then I will get me one of those big buildings you guys brag about.

Thanks

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: