Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 03:46:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Up & running!  (Read 1222 times)
dwbruner

Ignore
« on: May 23, 2006, 01:32:31 PM »

I finally have my bus home in running condition!

In late Feb I purchased a 1985 Eagle Model 10 that was partially converted.  Before purchasing I had the engine & trans inspected by a "reputable"  DD shop Huh and came away with a clean bill of health.  I had a 170 mile trip home and approx 75 miles into the trip the 6V92T decided to belch oil & coolant on the highway.  Long story short, I've been working with a local mechanic to repair the engine and after replacing 1 head, 1 piston, 1 liner, the turbo and misc parts we are up & running.

I plan to continue improving the mechanical status/driving comfort of the coach before diving too deep into the conversion.  Currently there is no air/defrost/heat in the drivers area.  AIR: I have 3 roof airs and the previous owner says that the front unit will keep the drivers area cool, but I've not confirmed this yet.  Is anyone else setup this way?  HEAT/DEFROST: Are there heater lines in the drivers area that come from the engine?  Would it be best to tap into this if available or install an automotive-type unit under the dash?

All feedback is appreciated.

Darrin Bruner
1985 Eagle Model 10
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 01:53:55 PM »

Darrin,

Keep the heat!  Yes there are or where lines from the engine.

On the a/c, it will probably frost you out sitting still, but I would try it into the sun at road speed.

There is usually NO insulation in the front under the dash and the cold/heat loss from the windshields is great.

You may be able to get by fine with just a small fan on you.

Take it for a spin on the hottest day and you will know.

And last but not least, Welcome to the club.

Cliff
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 01:56:11 PM by Floridacracker » Logged

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Ace

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 02:39:58 PM »

Darrin, our H3 has probably the most glass of them all up front and with 3 roof airs it is pretty cool wshile driving BUT I have had the feel of warmth as I was driving INTO the sun. A small fan just for me, the driver, is in order to keep the comfort. Susan feels very comfy with the a/c's as they are but then again, she isn't driving! LOL

Can't help much with the heat problem as I live and travel mostly in Florida FOR NOW but that could change as we get older!

Ace
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 03:05:11 PM »

I finally have my bus home in running condition!

In late Feb I purchased a 1985 Eagle Model 10 that was partially converted.  Before purchasing I had the engine & trans inspected by a "reputable"  DD shop Huh and came away with a clean bill of health.  I had a 170 mile trip home and approx 75 miles into the trip the 6V92T decided to belch oil & coolant on the highway.  Long story short, I've been working with a local mechanic to repair the engine and after replacing 1 head, 1 piston, 1 liner, the turbo and misc parts we are up & running.

I plan to continue improving the mechanical status/driving comfort of the coach before diving too deep into the conversion.  Currently there is no air/defrost/heat in the drivers area.  AIR: I have 3 roof airs and the previous owner says that the front unit will keep the drivers area cool, but I've not confirmed this yet.  Is anyone else setup this way?  HEAT/DEFROST: Are there heater lines in the drivers area that come from the engine?  Would it be best to tap into this if available or install an automotive-type unit under the dash?

All feedback is appreciated.

Even if you install an automotive type unit in the front, you will still have to run lines to the back if they have been removed. Hopefully the lines are still there as well as the original hearer/A/C unit under the dash
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: