Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 03:17:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diesel generator  (Read 3931 times)
dwbruner

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2006, 11:09:29 AM »

My design originally started with the location of the toilet as you suggested, but now I am seriously considering the Incinolet toilet which burns the waste to ash and does not require plumbing or a black tank (I actually started a separate thread on this topic yesterday). This offers more flexibility in my space planning for the interior & bays. Now that I've been convinced that one of the bays is the best location for my genset it makes even better sense to eliminate the black tank (plus the mess associated with it).

Thanks!

Darrin Bruner
1985 Eagle Model 10
DrDave

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2006, 03:07:22 PM »

Guy's,

My 12.5 Onan QD is quieter than the next door neighbor's window A/C in his bedroom!

Mabe your muffler is rotted?? I know I have to open a window in my coach to here the gen when I start it up.

Or mabe it's just mine thats silent? Hummmm?

Nick-

Verrrrrwry Quiiiiieeettt..... ( especially on long trips Roll Eyes
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2006, 07:29:38 PM »

I am seriously considering the Incinolet toilet which burns the waste to ash and does not require plumbing or a black tank (I actually started a separate thread on this topic yesterday).
Thanks!

If you plan to use your coach in a campground environment, better check out what burning $h#t smells like. You're gonna have some unhappy neighbors. Angry
Aren't Incinolets a little power hungry too? It would be after a night of partying!
Also may want to keep a portapottie spare in the bays in the event the incinolet takes a crap. There's a reason you don't see those things in fine RVs...or home grown bus conversions. Some of the coolest ideas fall flat in real life.
I would, at the least, plan on leaving space for a blackwater tank (or combined holding tank).
You could use a macerating pottie which will flush through a garden hose...however, they are noisy, and if if ever malfunctions...well, that'll be an education.
Cheerio, JR
Wink

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2006, 05:42:42 AM »

Anybody remember the "Thermosan" system that injected waste into the exhaust while underway?  Another winner!

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2006, 05:57:07 AM »

Anybody remember the "Thermosan" system that injected waste into the exhaust while underway? Another winner!

Len

There was a post on one of the boards a couple of weeks ago about somebody that installed one of these toilets at a mountain top communications site, or something like that. He and the other people that visited the site were generally very unhappy with the unit. I can not find the post. Anyone?
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2006, 07:34:52 AM »

Back to the subject.  I looked at a ton of Eagles to plan for my 10KW Wrico.  There are a lot of Eagles with the generator in the AC bay.  Weight should not be a problem.  Remember that the engine is off-set to the driver's side and the generator actually balances things out a bit. 

The other popular location is in the front bay on the driver's side.  Like Torquester I mounted mine there.  With the Wrico, I remote mounted the radiator in the center of the front bay and picked up the air from the front axle area high in the bay (there is a frame structure that lends itself well to making an opening for picking up the air.  I put a deflector at the bottom of the opening to keep some of the debris out and also put a large mesh screen in the opening. 

The Onan radiator is contained in the box, so that is not an issue.  I am not sure where/how you plumb the air inlet, but you might consider the same type of opening.

I was very concerned about putting the generator up front and on the heavy side of the Eagle.  When I first got the Eagle I weighed it on the way home and it looked like the front axle weight might be marginal with any heavy load up front.  It turned out that the bogey axles were way out of adjustment (5 splines worth on each side) and when they were readjusted, the weight distribution worked out fine. 

Just some food for thought.

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
belfert

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2006, 08:22:58 AM »

There was a post on one of the boards a couple of weeks ago about somebody that installed one of these toilets at a mountain top communications site, or something like that. He and the other people that visited the site were generally very unhappy with the unit. I can not find the post. Anyone?

I thought that post said the electric one was great and the workers liked it, but other sites had ones that burned diesel and nobody used those.

Brian Elfert
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2006, 10:37:58 AM »

I thought that post said the electric one was great and the workers liked it, but other sites had ones that burned diesel and nobody used those.

Brian Elfert

Could well have been. Since I am not too particularly interesrted in one of them I do not remember all the details.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: