Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 07:53:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: generator want put out power  (Read 1501 times)
jlaney
prevost one

Ignore
« on: May 23, 2006, 04:38:02 PM »

hello
i have a 15 kw water cooled kohler and it ran thru the ice storm here in tyler tx , it set for a few
months , when i started it up again later it would not kick and put out any power. i have had a
so called tech pull on the wires but no one really interested in working on it. may be someone
has some experience these. it starts ok , but no power on the outlet. i will mention that i have
hit it with a 12 volt battery and would not accite it thanks j.t. laney

j.t. laney  tyler texas 1980 prevost lemirage
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 04:44:50 PM »

you may have already done this, but ... Try resetting or replacing breaker at Gen

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
jlaney
prevost one

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 04:57:46 PM »

hey niles
the gen set is not hooked up to anything. i put on a trailer to take to a mechanic . it has a
outlet rececpical only and no breakers. i think the problem could be corrected by someone
my age . it is not a new model , probly about 30 years old but worked good when i got it.
i ran it about two weeks straight when i cut the bus all to pieces, thanks jt.

niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 05:13:54 PM »

Jt - I'm gonna have to let someone else take this up for you - you should have a disconnect (breaker or fuse block) at the source - What's protecting the Gen ?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
jlaney
prevost one

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 05:17:53 PM »

hello from tyler
when i get it working again it will have the proper disconect. thanks jt.

NCbob

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 05:36:15 PM »

Hi jt,

I guess I'm the (unofficial) generator expert on the board (challenges willingly accepted, but understand I'm an old curmudgeon).  30 years old? Hmmm.  Kohler?  Hmmmm.

They built some fine generators back then.  How about you send me a Model #, Spec # and Serial # and we'll see if I can help you out.

Is it gas, LP or diesel?

My first guess, inasmuch as there is no circuit breaker to protect the generator, is that the Voltage Regulator is history.  That's sort of a protective measure generators use to keep people for burning them up.

Feel free to send me the info 'off board' and I'll do my best to help you straighten out your dilemma.

NCbob
jlaney
prevost one

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 07:27:53 PM »

thanks for help
i will get the model tomorow, this thing is 4 cyl disel and engine runs good. and is mounted on
a roll out skid. the control box is mounted on top of power plant. i have a man whom works on
rv;s and bus's in texarkana texas who said he could proably get it going. so any help will be helpful.
i had it sold but i wanted to get it going firist. its to big for my prevost bays anyway.thanks jt laney

DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 07:35:21 PM »

Hi jt,

I guess I'm the (unofficial) generator expert on the board (challenges willingly accepted, but understand I'm an old curmudgeon).  30 years old? Hmmm.  Kohler?  Hmmmm.

They built some fine generators back then.  How about you send me a Model #, Spec # and Serial # and we'll see if I can help you out.

Is it gas, LP or diesel?

My first guess, inasmuch as there is no circuit breaker to protect the generator, is that the Voltage Regulator is history.  That's sort of a protective measure generators use to keep people for burning them up.

Feel free to send me the info 'off board' and I'll do my best to help you straighten out your dilemma.

NCbob
If it is 30 years old, there is a good possibility it has brushes and slip rings. If so, make sure the brushes are free in their holders and the slip rings are not corroded.

The next thing to do is flash the field. Generally can do this by applying 120 volts momentarily to the output leads, although this is not the preferred method.

An even older curmudgeon.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: