Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 10:08:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uh oh!!! My worst nightmare, air beam troubles!  (Read 1564 times)
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« on: October 17, 2007, 04:42:01 PM »

Ok, so today I pulled up the ramp in my beast and also tore out the floor on the left front. After very much cleaning and lot's of gross factor I got to the air beam, or what I guess is the air beam.
Rusty of course but at the very forward point behind the drivers seat, right where the floor drops to the seat floor level and inward where the heater tubes turn outward there is a large hole or rather three working on two.
Is this still part of the air beam?
Could I still be able to air up with a hole that large? Wouldn't it blow out the insulation that was over it?
How much air pressure would be leaking from there?

What's my best plan of attack? Either way it needs to be fixed in some way or another.

So exactly how screwed is Dave?

-Dave

« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 04:55:22 PM by Dax » Logged

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
maria-n-skip

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 05:01:48 PM »

Holes that big; no it would not air up. But I've been wrong before.

Not being flipant but how good are your welding skills? It may make a difference on
 how you fix it.

Skip
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 05:06:34 PM »

The airbeams are between the bulkheads. That area appears to be ahead of the front bulkhead. In your bus, I think the front bulkhead is in line with the latch side of the door frame.
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 05:20:27 PM »

Forgive the pictures, trying to give a good description.
Here is where the rust is:

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
mikelutestanski

Mikes Metal Mistress

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 05:40:36 PM »

Welcome to the club.......  try getting underneath  check the wheel well from underneath; looks like the front corner of the wheelwell is open to the interior .. need to patch across the whole well and seal it real well..
     If you find the plywood under the rear of your seat base is bowed up  then the metal underneath is gone..  lots of water enters from the wheel well and gets under the plywood . 
     also check the backwall of the spare tire bay..  Possibly the  lower ceiling over the axle  (above the leveling valve is gone  (aluminum)) need to replace that as it allows water to get into the areas where the airlines are located..
          All is not lost spent one winter under the front axle repairing all that...
          Por 15  is real good stuff  try the magnet paint version  cheaper.  same stuff...  others may beg to differ..   
          By the way my bus is plated all around ..  LOL...   
         Happy bussin     Mike  mci 7..

Mike Lutestanski   Dunnellon Florida
  1972 MCI 7
  L10 Cummins  B400R  4.625R
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 08:54:23 PM »

The levelling valves only allow fairly slow air flow into the bags and beams so it could be possible for the rest of the bus to air up with fairly large holes in the bags or beams -- but of course that section of the suspension would be down on the bump-stops either all the time or within minutes of the engine stopping.

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 11:51:39 AM »

Mike,

Por 15?  Magnet version?  More data, please.

Thanks,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
mikelutestanski

Mikes Metal Mistress

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 04:15:35 PM »

Mike,
Por 15?  Magnet version?  More data, please.  Thanks,  John

Hello
              Magnetpaint.com   
      The por 15 lookalike is called chassis saver...  $88.00  gal.     I have no interest and do not make a dime.  I just go for the best I can afford..   
     Happy bussin   
    mike mci 7

Mike Lutestanski   Dunnellon Florida
  1972 MCI 7
  L10 Cummins  B400R  4.625R
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 03:46:34 PM »

Mike,

Thanks.  Always interested in improving my vocabulary.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: