Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 05:11:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maybe a dumb question: truck stop how to and etiquette?  (Read 3245 times)
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« on: October 19, 2007, 04:28:26 PM »

Since I've only been to the diesel line at a truck stop once I've been wondering, is there an accepted manner to fueling at a truck stop? What is proper etiquette so as not to tick off the big boys? What's the easiest and fastest way in and out of the line?
How do those phone things work? Aren't those for people with commercial accounts or something? Do you just go in to the fuel desk and give them a credit card? Should I leave the rig running while fueling or shutdown? It seemed like at the one we went to there was an accepted direction to enter and exit and the only guy I saw going the opposite direction was a Dodge diesel pick up. It seemed like some people were not really happy with him as it clogged the flow of that lane.
Am I welcome to go back and park with the big rigs while I go in the store?

Sorry if this is a really silly question, inquiring minds wanna know. Huh

-Dave

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
cody

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 04:39:13 PM »

I'm not really sure what is the proper way but our way has worked well for us, while I'm fueling, my wife goes inside to pay, after I fuel up, I pull forward so the guy behind me can pull up to the pumps, usually by then my wife has given me the high sign that it's paid for and I can pull over to the side and park if we're staying for coffee.  We just back in where the trucks park, like I say I'm not sure if that is the proper way but we've never heard anything bad about it from the truckers and really the opposite has happened with truckers coming up and commenting on the bus, some used to drive eagles and had good things to say about them.
Barbwire

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 05:11:45 PM »

I prefer the truck pumps since they have the big nozzles. The phone, I tell em, private RV, Lic # and will pay with credit card. When done fueling pull ahead so other trucks can fuel, go in and pay. Only once did I get an idiot on the phone inside.

Ken
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 05:24:05 PM »

Some fuel stops want the credit card or cash before they will turn on the pump. If you get a courtesy card from Flying J, you just swipe the card and they turn on the pump. They have your name and address from the card, so you can pay after fueling. Lots of places have signs showing the direction of traffic through the pump islands, just follow the signs.

If your filler pipe is on the wrong side for the pump, you have to set the nozzle down on the island and use the slave hose. Only problem is that you can't see the pump meter while you are fueling.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »

I might add to what Stan said in that you also need to turn on the pump after laying down the hose.

I always prefer to use the auto diesel pump for a number of reasons, it is usually cleaner, it isn't nearly as noisy, it is usually much easier to use my credit card and I don't get in the way of any truck. Also, in some states diesel is cheaper at the auto pump than at the truck pump-I never have figured out why, but it is true. AZ or NM comes to mind. The approaches to truck pumps are often gravel and full of holes as are the parking lots, the boss doesn't like hitting those holes!

It is true that the auto pumps are usually slower but I'm in no hurry and don't usually get more than 50-75gal at a time anyway.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
maria-n-skip

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 07:12:29 PM »

Gus,

From what I read from ADot is that the feul tax is pro rated for the weight of the rig (class)
 thus since trucks tend to run heavier than cars the tax is greater. More cost at the pump

Skip
luvrbus

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 07:50:11 PM »

RVs are exempt from highway taxes here in AZ up to 26000# and you can fill at the truck pumps at the major stations for the the RV price but you have to ask for before you fill and some stations will not give it to you except at the RV and auto pump it amounts to 9 cents less a gallon for RVs.some stations are trying to enforcing the 26000# but they just ask your weight
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 09:22:23 PM »

I always prefer to use the auto diesel pump for a number of reasons.....

Do you ever have problems with clearance or room to pull in and out?
Most auto diesel places here that I've found are hardly friendly to a 40' bus that is also 11' tall. You may get in but good luck getting out. 

-Dave

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
msheldon

1954 GMC PD4501-066 8v71TA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 09:51:53 PM »

RVs are exempt from highway taxes here in AZ up to 26000# and you can fill at the truck pumps at the major stations for the the RV price but you have to ask for before you fill and some stations will not give it to you except at the RV and auto pump it amounts to 9 cents less a gallon for RVs.some stations are trying to enforcing the 26000# but they just ask your weight

One more thing with AZ is the # of axles. If you are over 26,000 OR three or more axles, you pay a higher tax rate for diesel. A lot of the pumps are posted. No idea what the enforcement is like, but not something I want to challenge. The gov't may cut you some slack now and again, but NEVER when it comes to "cheating" them of their revenue.
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 03:28:35 AM »

Lovrbus and MShelton, I ran into that in NC.
The bright folks at DMV (They rode the short bus to school insisted that because I was over 26,001 and had three axles I had to get an IFTA number and report fuel purchases quarterly.  I kept insisting it is an RV.  They kept insisting I had to do the IFTA thing.  I told them to send me the info.  Under exemptions guess what the first one was...drum roll please...RV's!
You might want to get clarification.

I went an googled IFTA, this is what the Wisconsin IFTA site said.

"International fuel tax agreement (IFTA)
IFTA is an agreement among all states (except Alaska and Hawaii) and Canadian provinces (except Northwestern Territories, Nunavut and Yukon) to simplify the reporting of fuel used by motor carriers operating in more than one jurisdiction. Persons who operate qualified motor vehicles are subject to IFTA licensing.

Qualified motor vehicle - a motor vehicle used, designed, or maintained for transportation of persons or property and:

Having two axles and a gross vehicle weight or registered gross vehicle weight exceeding 26,000 pounds or 11,797 kilograms; or
Having three or more axles regardless of weight; or
Is used in combination, when the weight of such combination exceeds 26,000 pounds or 11,797 kilograms gross vehicle or registered gross vehicle weight. Qualified motor vehicle does not include recreational vehicles.
Recreational vehicle - vehicles such as motor homes, pickup trucks with attached campers, and buses when used exclusively for personal pleasure by an individual. In order to qualify as a recreational vehicle, the vehicle shall not be used in connection with any business endeavor."

I tried to find info in the AZ site, BOY YA'LL LIKE TO RULE FOLKS LIVES THERE! and the fed's site, didn't find it.
The wording in the WI site if I remember matched the wording in the NC site.

For what it's worth!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
captain ron

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2007, 05:32:15 AM »

as far as etiquette goes, you are a paying customer the same as truck drivers are and can park anywhere they can. Pull up after pumping fuel, don't park where you can block anything or anybody and don't pee in the shower. Grin
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2007, 05:55:01 AM »

as far as etiquette goes, you are a paying customer the same as truck drivers are and can park anywhere they can.

Unfortunately, that isn't always true.  We fueled up at one truck stop, parked in back and security came and told us that parking was for trucks only and we had to move....immediately.  Thankfully, most truck stops are
ok with buses.  Flying J does have separate parking for RV's and usually prefer you use that, rather than the truck parking.   

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
maria-n-skip

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2007, 07:14:48 AM »

DAX,
    Hay have ya noticed your questions are not dumb or silly. Fresh out look and questions are always fun
    for at least me. If it is a topic that has been beaten to death I'm sure somebody will point out the thread.

Flying J:
    One thing I have noticed is that along about 5:00 to 6:00 their parking fills up very fast. Leaving one
    to parallel park on a side street.

Just an observation

Skip
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2007, 07:26:56 AM »

Heres my take on this.

I fuel at the Truck pumps if its the same price, but usually I am using my credit card on the road and they don't penalize you the 5-7 cents extra for using credit at the RV pump.

Always move out of the way when done fueling, just common courtesy.

Never park in the truck section unless you have too.  You CAN park in the RV section, they CAN'T.

If I am on vacation, I always extend the "you first" to someone who is working...Whats the hurry to me!

If at a rest area, I park in the RV section, if none then by the trucks, but this one is really more to my benefit.  RVs tend to stay the whole night, thus its quieter, trucks are in and out all night.  If I pick the spot farthest away from the facilities its usually quieter too!

YMMV

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2007, 11:28:59 AM »

I had a conversation once with a husband and wife truck driver team who resented RVs clogging up truck stops. I was telling them that when I spend 3 or 4 hundred dollars for fuel, my money is as good as theirs and I feel as entitled as they are to a parking spot. (They were nice people though and it was a friendly conversation). I always try to park out of their way if possible. 99% of them are good people, and have always been friendly to us. You have to understand their frustrations, as they are working in a crowded environment.

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: