Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 18, 2014, 10:51:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OK dumb Redneck needs understandable advice from you great Technoids!  (Read 5654 times)
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2007, 11:55:40 AM »

Sean,

Wow Man you are so horribly serious all the time...

Do you believe anything that Mythbusters does... I don't!
( most of it is just SO wrong!! )

Do you wonder about Mike on Dirty Jobs? He never seems to carry any knowledge
from one job to the next... Just plain silly or the writers are dumber than he is.

Sort of starting to sound like ( a few ) Bus owners... I shall carry forth no knowledge to the next task.....or next day as it seems... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

The bottom line is when you have a television channel to fill time slots in for you will take anything that some idiot produced as long as some advertiser is willing to pay.

A Few facts, A few Tales and a lot of made up fictional events are portrayed as HISTORY or TRUTH.... and that doesnt count for all the books that get printed...

See the thing is to wait for 50 years or more to tell a story hoping that anyone who was there has passed on and can't tell really what happened...

Where's my teleporter and air car? I am still waiting.... Hey they said we would have them now according to Popular Science of the 60's....Would that be a historical joke?

We went to the moon, Fact or Fiction? ( Problem is that nobody else was there to prove anything or not prove it. )

Life is a Farce... Living on Planet Earth Isn't any fun anymore...

Beam Me Up.........Please!!!! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2007, 02:04:31 PM »

Our language is full of such expressions.  One of my favorite examples is "the whole nine yards."  Depending upon whom you ask, this expression describes the laden capacity of a cement mixer, or of a dump truck, or the amount of fabric required to make a man's three-piece suit, or possibly it even has something to do with football.  Many people will articulate their own version of the etymology as fact, but etymologists are simply unsure of the precise origin.

Gee, I heard that was from WWII when it took 27' (9 yards) to load the machine guns in the wings of the figther planes. A few others I have heard (but never verified):  "Sleep tight" from the old beds that were a mattress laid on a framework of rope (you tightened the rope with a wooden stick) for a better nights sleep. "Sleep tight, don't let the bedbugs bite", Years ago, when people lived in log cabins, sod homes, etc., bedbugs (body lice) were more more common.  "He bought it lock, stock, and barrel", guns were sold in 3 parts (lock, stock & barrel), If you wanted a gun, you bought the 3 parts. "Raining Cat & Dogs", in early Europe, most buildings had thatched roofs. Cats & dogs frequently climbed onto the roofs and when the roofs got wet, the aninals would fall off. "Living high off the hog" the upper classes of people would get the better cuts of pork such as the loins and roast (the higher part of the hog) while the lower classes of people got the pigs feet, bacon, etc Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2007, 04:11:56 PM »

I have the Magellan 360 that works well.  I still use the Rand McNally to figure out the best route, and to figure out mileage-I consider that alot of the fun figuring out routes and mileages.  I usually use the GPS just to find out the address once I'm close.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
James77MCI8

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2007, 05:12:33 PM »

Hi BK,

I have owned the Delorme(laptop), the tom tom and the Garmin C530. The delorme is nice but you do have to have a laptop, a place to set the laptop and of course a power supply. The tom tom couldn't find the first five addresses that I entered into it, when it did the darn thing would just freeze for no reason at all. I took it b ack and got a replacement..it did the same thing. I then went to Wal-mart and bought a Garmin C530. It worked flawlessly..straight out of the box. It also lets you pick what type vehicle that it is in or on(yes it does have choice for bus). I have had the unit for 8 months now and haven't had a minutes trouble with it. I am a service tech that travels around 3,000 miles per month. Some of the places I go are close to major highways and cities, but the majority are off the beaten path. Having used the 3 systems I would recommend the Garmin for reliability, portability and ease of use. You can purchase the C530 for around 230.00 here in South Carolina.

Hope this helps

77 MCI 8
8V-71 4 spd
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2007, 05:32:54 PM »

OK, those of you who have a Delorme, What exactly do I need?.   Huh  I have the laptop. I checked out buying the Delorme but there are several different versions. Help!

and THANKS!  Smiley

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2007, 09:15:49 PM »

OK, those of you who have a Delorme, What exactly do I need?.   Huh  I have the laptop. I checked out buying the Delorme but there are several different versions. Help!

You want the EarthMate GPS and Street Atlas 2008.  They are offered together as a bundle, although Street Atlas is also offered separately.  Get the bundle -- for $70, it's a great deal.  Here's a link to it on Delorme's site (but they are also sold in stores):
http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtdItemDetail.jsp?minisite=10020&item=26506&section=10091

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Dan C

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2007, 10:42:20 PM »

I have the Delorne EarthMate GPS and the bundled Street Atlas software. I also purchased (extra charge) their ToPo USA software. It is approx 5 CD's of topographic maps of the entire USA. When you check a route (or as you drive) it shows the elevation grid lines, this makes it easy to see if there is a hill (up or down) on your route. It also gives you a 3D display and this really shows mountains very clearly.
I never drive by it, but I do like to check out a route in advance (usually the night before), then I don't get any suprises. I like paper maps but they are flat and the 3D display is great.
Upgrade to ToPo USA, you will like it!!

Dan
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2007, 05:55:31 AM »

Thanks!   Smiley

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2007, 06:34:09 PM »

A friends Cadillac has a spiffy system.  He gets speed and mpg and trip average data.  How does the gps give mpg data.  There must be some sort of fuel consumption input.  How would that work with a D that has a "return to tank" for fuel that was used to cool injectors?

Thanks,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: