Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 01:44:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advise on VS-2  (Read 986 times)
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« on: May 24, 2006, 06:50:40 AM »

Guys,

I'm looking at yet another bus, this one a very clean (I've only seen pictures) 4106 with a VS-2 "three speed". I don't know anything about this trans, my gut says it's not the best choice, but otherwise, I think I really like this bus.

My understanding is that this is actually a two speed trans with converter lockup that makes it feel like a three speed.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Len Silva

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 07:03:50 AM »

Actually it is the two speed transmission where 1st is a reduction gear with torque converter, then 2nd is direct with the torque converter locked (that's why it has such a sharp drop in rpm. Whereas the V730 goes from 1st converter to 2nd converter, then after about 10 more mph the torque converter locks in 2nd, then shifts to 3rd converter locked).  They got the 3rd overdrive gear from the VS2 by installing another overdrive gear on the input shaft.  All controlls on the VS2 are operated by air solenoids, so clean air is a must.  While it was a realitively reliable transmission in its day, you'll have a much harder time finding parts for it and anyone that knows how to work on it.  The V730 is definitely the superior transmission, can get parts for it, and since it is essentially a HT740 without 1st gear, is easy to work on, is a very reliable workhorse of a transmission, and they are still in service with many RTS type transits.  If it were me, I'd buy the bus then update it to the V730.  I know Nimco has conversion kits for around $2,000 including transmission.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Dallas

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 07:10:42 AM »

Len,
The VS2 is a 2 speed with converter lock up.
It's overdrive is a lot faster than the V730, which depending on your rear gears could be important.
It's a pretty bullet proof transmission, there isn't much you can do to it to hurt it.
Simply built, you can almost overhaul it with simple tools.
Watch your trans temp when climbing as it will drop out of lockup. Put in a seperate cooling radiator for it.
I'm sure I'll get lot's of flack about the above statements, but the ones I've run were great.

Dallas
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: