Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 21, 2014, 11:41:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: need help identifying controll  (Read 1021 times)
ttomas

Ignore
« on: October 22, 2007, 02:00:50 PM »

Hi folks, my 1983 mc9 has an air controll valve that I do not know what it is.
   On the right of the drivers seat is the park brake behind the gear shift, immediately behind the brake is a push button (I assume controlling an air valve) that will push down only.
    can someone ID this button for me.  Thanks  tomas
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 02:16:27 PM »

Hi folks, my 1983 mc9 has an air controll valve that I do not know what it is.
   On the right of the drivers seat is the park brake behind the gear shift, immediately behind the brake is a push button (I assume controlling an air valve) that will push down only.
    can someone ID this button for me.  Thanks  tomas

Tomas,
Although I never seen on on that early yr model, it sounds as though what yer describing is an emergency brake release! Alot of newer buses have them and yours could have belonged to someone that felt it was necessary to upgrade and add it! They are really just a simple emergency use button, if for some reason your brakes lock up on you and you need to get out of traffic/off the road, etc. You simply push and hold the button down while moving what ever emergency (read very short) distance needed to get to a safe place to stop! Try starting your bus and waiting until air is built up, then instead of releasing your parking brake, put it in gear and push down on the other button! It should allow the bus to move! If that is not what it is the only other thing I can thing it would be is an air lock for the baggage doors, but those are push/pull and usually located on the lower dash plate just right of the accelerator pedal!

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
ttomas

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 03:19:34 PM »

Thanks BK, I will check it out.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 03:28:37 PM »

yup, I'm with BK.

Or, try pumping the air out with the brake pedal, and then push the other one to see what happens.

You may have to push the parking control while holding the second control pushed in.

Depends on how they plumbed it.

let us know!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 06:36:34 PM »

It is a push pull knob just to the rear of the parking brake control box...

It is (was) for an air flapper that redirected air from the air conditioning/heating duct just to the rear of the front door into the stepwell.

It is like a choke cable ( push-pull ).. Many people have removed the factory a/c and done away with the big ductwork. They usually ( including me! ) left the old knob still there abandoned in place.. Much like NASA....

Somewhere I have a picture of the flapper.... Hmmmm..
If you need to see it I will look for it...

Dave....

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 07:10:39 PM »

I did find a reference to the same control over on BNO and I answered the same
question over there in 2005...

The guy called it a "Thing a ma bob "

Many others had better answers such as F*RT ejector for the passenger seat.(EPA approved)...
Passenger seat ejector ( aka James Bond ) and a few others...

Anyway, That's what it is....

Dave....

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 08:52:16 PM »

OK so I stand ejected...er...dejected...er....rejected....er....corrected! Or something like that, I hadn't ever seen one or even heard of one like that before! But then again I wasn't around back in the day when Moby Dick was still a minner, like Dallas, Dr. Dave, Richard and some of the other walking encyclopedias of bus knowledge that grace our presence here on these great boards! LOL!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Dallas

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 04:36:47 AM »

OK so I stand ejected...er...dejected...er....rejected....er....corrected! Or something like that, I hadn't ever seen one or even heard of one like that before! But then again I wasn't around back in the day when Moby Dick was still a minner, like Dallas, Dr. Dave, Richard and some of the other walking encyclopedias of bus knowledge that grace our presence here on these great boards! LOL!
Grin  BK  Grin

Hay BK, Don't point at me, I only have opinions and everyone knows about opinions.

When I first saw this post, my thought was, "Damifino".

DF
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 04:45:54 PM »

well, I'll be scuppered.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
ttomas

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 07:41:30 PM »

Thanks fellows, it is a cable as Dave said. I appreciate the input from all. Tomas
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: