Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 04:50:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dont' swap out your 8V-71N  (Read 3442 times)
TomC

Ignore
« on: October 23, 2007, 04:25:04 PM »

I just got back from Lake Havasu, Az pulling my car behind (34750lbs total).  With the 8V-71 now turboed with the air to air intercooler, it is truly amazing the power difference.  I only increased the injectors from 65 to 75, or 300hp to 375hp and 800lb/ft torque to 1125lb/ft torque. Coming west on I-40 from Needles, Ca up the long grade, I just kept it on the King Cruise control at 58 mph (1800rpm) and it stayed that way till the last mile or so that gets steeper.  The slowest I went was 43mph, still on cruise control, then at the top of the hill, quickly got back up to speed. 

My point-if you're tired of the power of the 8V-71, have it turboed and air to air intercooled instead of going through the hassle of changing to another engine.  It REALLY wakes up the engine.  Especially if your engine is tired, have it rebuilt to a turbo and you can get 400hp and 1200lb/ft torque.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
James77MCI8

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 04:59:33 PM »

Hi Tom,

I am glad to see your post. I am getting ready to repower my *. Idin't reallly know what to do. Would you e-mail me some info on your re-power?

Thanks
                                          James

77 MCI 8
8V-71 4 spd
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 05:38:34 PM »

The 71 series DD is a great engine. Some say the best diesel engine ever built! I turboed my 4-71 with great results. Hard to beat from a capital cost and fuel milage stand point. Of course the late model 4 strokes are great, but so much more expensive.

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 06:03:38 AM »

How about a takeout from a truck instead of turboing the original engine? I know where there used to be a wrecked Pete with a 871T (might be a TT). I know the truck & the engine was rebuilt about 90,000 before the wreck. The last time I saw it, the engine was still there. It had a 13 speed & I could probably buy the whole setup for $3000 or less.

Opinions???

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 06:14:26 AM »

Tom, I installed an 8V71TA from a truck. It has 370 hp (according to the mfg specs tag on the valve cover) with 7G75 injectors.
   It does very well in my bus.....
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 06:24:54 AM by ChuckMC8 » Logged

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
Gary LaBombard
"Rustless Money Pit"

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 06:51:44 AM »

Tom,
Do you have any information to share that you personally used to upgraded your 8V71 to a turbo.  Don Fairchild also recommended this and you have to listen to experience which I have finally realized from 5 years ago.  If you can tell us where you got your parts, instructions how you did it and maybe some close up photos of what you did do.  I am totally in the dark on this feature of anything on my 8V71.  I am just now in the thinking stage and want to start shopping for the correct parts needed.

I have recently bought a SPARE 8V71 for my bus which has Jake's on it and I hope to incorporate those Jakes into my present 8V71 (If Possible) now in my bus until my present engine pukes on me and then install the SPARE if needed.  This is my plan anyhow, that may change tomorrow though.

I am hoping when I get closer to reality of working on my engine to start it up after all this time to do everything possible to maximize the power in my engine without getting into a $15,000 re power which just will not happen in my bus.  I do not have enough years left to even think about that one.  Anyhow I am really pumped up after talking to Don and seeing your post and appreciate any and all information as to what you did or had done that you care to share.  If you want to contact me personally please feel free to do so from my profile address. 

Pictures as you know tell a whole story if something is possible to understand better than just words and you know I love photos.  I will photograph every aspect of doing as you have done and post it after all documenting what I have done for others to consider and also assist them to do as I am asking you to share with me and us all really. 

I don't want to run 85 mph, but I want all the power I need to be confident my bus will pull me up a steep mountain any place we travel. 

What you have done is way more feasible for me to consider doing than a big engine re power with all the electronics etc. Simplicity is best for me especially now, let the younger guys have the new hi-tech stuff to enjoy.  I have enough trouble with my computer and what it wants to do on it's own.  Don't need this on my bus. 

If possible and you don't mind let us know where you got the parts, (truck bone yards etc. or direct from manufacturer) and anything you can share.

Thanks again for the reassurance that my original thought after talking to Don is correct and what I surely will do. 

Gary

Gary
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 08:45:57 AM »

Gary- Don Fairchild did the work on my bus.  I had a custom air to air intercooler made by Sierra in Tulsa OK that works great (4" in and out- 3" thick and able to flow 1500cfm).  Don immediately pulled the engine and transmission.  He pulled out one of the pistons to check the rings, and since it is a transit bus, had the tight rings that would accept turboing.  Because of the higher compression ratio (18.7 on a non turbo to 17.0 for a turbo) we stayed with going from N65 brown tag to 9G75 (newest model)(with 80 injectors will get 400hp and 1200lb/ft), changing the blower to a bypass valve type (bypasses enough air to allow the blower just to free wheel when under turbo boost-above 5psi), used an early Series 60 turbo with waste gate to keep the boost under 15psi, and installing a fuel modulator to keep the smoking down before turbo boost (otherwise it'll smoke thick black like a train).  With the long exhaust run and lower boost, it takes about a minute for it to stop putting out a bit of visual smoke.  But once warm, no smoke at all, and great performance.  Also done at the same time, Don installed a new oil pump drive and had the V730 rebuilt.  Granted the engine part cost $11,500, and the transmission was $6500, but now it runs well and won't have to worry about break down.  I didn't change my rear end ratio, nor am I going to.  It's geared for 58mph at 1850, and 67mph at 2100, which is just fine with me.  Good Luck, TomC

oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 09:03:02 AM »

Chuck,

What else did you have to do to make that happen? Radiators? Exhaust? Different mounting for the turbo? Same tranny? Auto or 4 speed?

That is a nice looking job!

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 09:12:44 AM »

What's included in the total price is just about redoing everything in the engine compartment.  Changing the radiator from a 5 row straight fin to a 6 row serpentine fin, changing the air cleaner from a 6" to 7" opening, changing the stuffed up huge muffler to a 5" inlet and outlet at the same end turbo muff, and since my radiator is as large as I could go, had to install misters (15 heads), installed two vents on the rear engine door, and an auxiliary transmission cooler with thermostatically controlled elec fan that is plumbed directly off the hot side-goes through the auxiliary cooler then into the normal shell cooler-takes the strain off the radiator.  The misters are only needed on long pulls when the temp is over 90.  This last trip, saw temps in the 70's and 80's, and didn't use the misters once.

Last year when I picked up the bus from Don, pulled 58 east out of Bakersfield when it was 72 and it heated up where I had to slow down.  Now pulling Needles hill west on I-40, it didn't get above 185 at 75 degrees outside-so the new radiator really works well.  Couple of months ago went through Mojave at 107 degrees-used the misters alot and slowed on the hills, but didn't see over 200 degrees.  Once home, used CLR on the radiator to eliminate a bit of calcium from the misters.  Ideally you should use distilled water on the misters, but I just have mine plumbed in to my water system.  Good Luck, TomC

Catskinner!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 09:34:17 AM »

Hey Gary!

Just put a 3406 B Model Cat in it.

Sorry I could not help but reply.

Catskinner!
Sonnie Gray
72 0/5 Eagle 3406 Ca
Pottsboro, Texas
luvrbus

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 09:54:24 AM »

just seems like a lot of cash to spend for a few more HP and and still have a 8v71 but every body does it their way
Gary LaBombard
"Rustless Money Pit"

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 10:57:39 AM »

Tom,

This was primarily why I posted on this thread, I have no doubt that Don will do the best job on an engine that money can buy, you can tell by talking to him of his of his knowledge of 2 stroke DDS.  This is not the money I really wanted to spend, although sure the engine rebuild will last longer than I will, I was hoping that parts from other engines, (Turbo's) etc. what is needed to upgrade now would be considerably less in cost.  This project is just getting too expensive to do the way some of you have for me to do as you have, but I will not give up on searching for information in using used turbo parts etc, that I can incorporate into my present 8V71. 

I wish I had Don's knowledge to do my engine and will not give up getting information until it is time to make a final decision on what to do.  I still have so much to purchase before start up of my Eagle and hope that when I do, I can go further than the 100 miles she has taken me. 

Thanks again Tom for the information I know it took a quite awhile to document in this post.

Good luck on your new power up by Don, I am sure it will kick butt for life now for you.

Gary
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 11:10:42 AM by Gary LaBombard » Logged

Gary
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 12:41:55 PM »

Hello TomC;

You sound like one happy camper.  Nothin' more sweet than the sound of a 8VT singing thru the night.  Just curious, not nickpicking here or anything, just curious, just curious, did you pull a mighty downshift with your 730 or did you just leave the old girl (now young girl!) in high gear and let the mill pull down to around 1330 rpm?

I would have left the shifter in high or forward or whatever you have and just would have seen how good your now mighty turboed 8V Detroit pulled down.  Not lugging here, I am not using that word, I am using the work "pulling down".  Did you shift down and back out, or did you stand on it to sees what shes got??  Smiley Smiley Smiley
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 01:50:58 PM »

And....since I am regressing big time here and since I am now very very old, is THE master mechanic Don fairchild the same individual who years ago happened to work for Delany and Alf's or Valley Detroit and if he is, does he remember any crazy silly stupid city firemen around 1975 or sooss bothering him and others doing 353 and 453 installations into Ford pickups and stuff?   The world wonders.  If  he is, one of them crazy, silly firemen, Henry (me) says hi.  Smiley Smiley Smiley
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 03:37:26 PM »

HB- I down shift at 45 so the engine was turning around 1900rpm.  I could have left it since it does down shift automatically at 38mph or at about 1250 rpm, but like to keep the r's up.  Good LUck, TomC

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: