Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 06:37:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: mexican insurance  (Read 3859 times)
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 07:48:09 AM »

I thought that I had replyed that I am pretty sure that our insurance in the US is just as good in Canada.
Was it deleted?  If so...why?
Thanks
Jack

Jack, I do not remember seeing your post and I have been monitoring everything all morning. Occasionally it happens that a post does not get posted, especially when you get the warning in red that another post has been made. I have lost a couple that way. Now if I get that red message I go back and can repost the item before it disappears.

Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2007, 03:12:54 PM »

From the U.S. Dept of State:

Insurance:  Mexican insurance is required for all vehicles, including rental vehicles.  Mexican auto insurance is sold in most cities and towns on both sides of the border.  U.S. automobile liability insurance is not valid in Mexico, nor is most collision and comprehensive coverage issued by U.S. companies.  Motor vehicle insurance is considered invalid in Mexico if the driver is found to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html#transportation
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 03:14:55 PM by niles500 » Logged

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 03:21:16 PM »

Niles: I never said it was a bad practice to carry Mexican insurance.  The fact that the US State Department recommends that US citizens carry Mexican insurance while travelling in Mexico doesn't mean diddly to Mexico.  Carrying Mexican insurance is certainly a best management practice but it is equally certainly not mandatory.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Flyboy

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 03:52:42 PM »

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the link.  I requested a quote from San Xavier. 

Did you try Sanborn's as well?  Just curious as to what they would be priced at.  My last trip to Mex we used them but that was in a Mazda 626.  This will be a little different.

We are leaving from Kelowna on the 31st of this month to head south.  Should be a great trip.  I am a little nervous (in the pre-game sense) but I'm sure my green engine will push at least that far.  My kids are bouncing off the wall with excitement to get going.  We are going to home school for the two months, en espanol no doubt! Cheesy

Where do you head to in Mex when you go?  We are going as far south as PV on this trip and then in to Guanajuato and Morelia.

Cheers.

Aron.

IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING!
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2007, 04:29:45 PM »

What a wonderful trip you have ahead of you and what a great adventure and learning experience for the kids.  Maybe we can cross paths somehow in Dec. 

We're leaving here at the end of November & will push directly through to Alamos and then kick back there for a while - we have Mexican friends in Alamos that we haven't seen for several years and we really like Dolisa so we will likely spend at least a week there.  From there we'll go to Guasave (Tavo's "Mr. Moro" at Las Glorias) for Christmas.  Our Mexican daughter's family lives in Guasave so we will have a grand old reunion there.  From there we don't have much of a plan - I'd be happy if we didn't get any further than Teacapan but SWMBO says we are going to Boca so we will likely go to Boca.  The only thing we know for sure is that we won't go to Guadalahara this trip.  I assume you will be headed north at the end of Dec - check my website for an e-address & keep in touch - maybe we can hook up somewhere along the trail. 

Morelia is a beautiful city - we really enjoyed it.  Make sure you go to see the Monarch butterflies while you are in Morelia.  You are an easy day trip away from where they winter once you get that far.  And there's a pyramid ruin right next to the butterflies that's not marked on any guidebooks we had but you will see the signs along the road.  I think we found our way to the butterflies from Church's book - if you don't have better directions than that then just ask & I'll find our trip journal.  I think it was near Ocampo or Tuxpan.

As far as insurance we used Sanborns for our first two trips into Mexico.  They charge heavily for the "warm fuzzy factor".  And they were good in that respect - lots of extra stuff like road logs and trip information but definitely not worth it with all the other resources that are out there.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
My website
Our weblog
luvrbus

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2007, 04:46:29 PM »

Bob, this has nothing to do with insurance but does fuel get cheaper the deeper you get into Mexico i checked at border in Texas and it was more than the USA
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2007, 05:10:31 PM »

Flyboy: I don't want to steal the thread, but is your bus a 4104 that came from Saskatoon?
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2007, 06:15:59 PM »

There are multitudes of misinformation about driving in Mexico (and Canada). Be careful where you get your information. Most of the horror stories I have heard start with " A friend of mine" or "I heard of a guy". Mexico has some strange laws and ignorance is no excuse. When driving in Mexico try not to notice any accidents or dead people in the road. The Police may hold YOU as a "Material Witness". They will certainly try to find someone with insurance or money to pay.

I buy my insurance here:

ADA VIS GLOBAL
(800) 909-4457
(800) 909-1007 Fax

It cost $58 per year and covers the drivers license it is issued to in anything they drive or tow including trailers and boats. I buy the legal representation also for an additional $30 or so. They advertise in FMCA and have been in business at least since I became a member in 91.

This is MEXICAN LIABILITY ONLY. It will NOT repair your property or pay for a tow.

Mexico doesn't care if you have coverage for your property but you better have liability that is recognized in Mexico.

I have never had to use the insurance nor have I been asked for it. But I will be prepared if I ever run over a chicken and have to pay for the generations of chickens that I deprived the mexican of. I have talked to others that were involved in an accident and they were allowed to proceed after producing the liability. 

Comp and Collision is very expensive in Mexico to cover most of our rigs and generally must be purchased from Sanborns or others like them. Few if any american carrriers will pay in Mexico.

Hope this helps

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Huron, South Dakota
Flyboy

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2007, 06:26:00 PM »

HI Stan,

I'm not sure about Sask, but I know it started out in SFO as a Greyhound in 1954.  As far as I know the first time it came to Canada was when it was converted by Bruce Coach in Salmon Arm (guessing early '80s?).  The owner at the time was from Chase, BC. ( again as far as I know)

The VIN is PD4104931.  If you could tell me more about it that would be cool.

Bob,

I will keep in touch with you as we progress on our trip.  It would be great to meet you.  Thanks for the encouragement too.  

A lot of people I know think we are nuts.  They thought that 3 years ago too, but we had a blast.  I love the Mexican people and their attitude towards family and life in general. I've been all over the world during my career as a pilot and have never felt as safe as I do in Mexico.  

Having the kids helps I'm sure.  My boys are 5 and 8 now and keen as ever.  We are going to volunteer at an orphanage near PV where a friend works, should be an eye-opener for all of us.

Talk to you soon, happy travels.

Aron.

Flyboy

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2007, 06:30:39 PM »

Hey Bob,

B4 I forget...any suggestions for camping along MEX15 between the border and PV?  We are planning on doing Lukeville, AZ to PV in 4-5 days which I think is realistic.

Tks.

Aron.

ttomas

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2007, 08:07:56 PM »

Flyboy,     we stay at the Pemex fueling stations often. Some of them have showers. They are lit up and secure as it gets.We were always welcomed. I also used a book "traveler's guide to Mexican Camping" by Mike and Terry Church. It is very helpful. Tomas
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2007, 08:30:46 PM »

Someone has already recommended Pemex & I wouldn't hesitate to do that but you may want "official" campgrounds just for the peace of mind factor.  Hitting PV in 4 days is a push - I could do it but I've been down there a lot of times too.  5 days is easier and I wouldn't go in through Lukeville - I'd stay on the US side and go in at Nogales because the road between Sonoyta & Santa Ana is not good.  I'd spend the last US night in Nogales at Mi Casa and then cross as early as you can get mobile.  You never know how long km 22 is going to take but you should be able to easily make Guaymas that night.  We routinely do Nogales all the way to Alamos which is a good solid 40 minutes east of Navajoa.  Stay at the Hotel Cortes in Guaymas and watch out for the tope at the top of the hill about 1/2 a mile after you turn off the highway.

One thing to remember about Mexico is that the distances are further.  Don't look at a map and say - 100 km - 1 hour.  It just doesn't work that way.  And don't be put off by the appearance of Mi Casa - its a genuine trailer park with doublewides all around the outside and tourists on the grass in the middle and it looks rough but we've never had a moment of trouble there - quite the opposite in fact.  Nogales is definitely a border town - better than most Mexican border towns but a border town nevertheless.

The problem is where to stay after Guaymas - you can make Mazatlan the 2nd day with no problem but you may have trouble finding a spot there on short notice.  I have trouble believing that and you will be there in early Nov but I have been lambasted on other forums for telling people to travel Mexico without reservations.  We've never had a reservation in Mexico and don't plan on starting now so, if it were me I'd head for Mazatlan and take my chances on finding a spot.  There's a park at the glorieta on Sabalo at the south end of the golden zone that isn't popular with the long term guys.  Its not that fancy but its clean and we have always been able to drive right in there when other places are full.  If you go to Google Earth and zoom in on 23.239772 x 106.444967 you will be right over the campground, there's a McDonalds next door to the southwest and the glorieta is right in front of Mickey D's.

It can take a long time to get from Mazatlan to PV - it looks like a short distance but the traffic grinds to a halt by about 10:00 AM.  I'd head for Tepic on day 3 (actually if it was me I'd spend a couple of days at Teacapan and the H with the schedule but this is your trip) and then go from Tepic to PV on the last day.  If you want to take a little longer and see some major pretty then head for the coast at San Blas and stay somewhere south of San Blas - there's several spots along the beach - our favorite spot is Paraiso Miramar but you probably want to scope that one out with your towed before you head in there - trust me - look before you get into that one - its worth the trip in but you want to have a look first.  From there you can just follow the coast on down to PV.

My wife said I should be sure to tell you to stay at Villa Corona.  Theres some nice parks there that are waterparks with camping allowed in the park.  If your kids are anything like mine a waterslide will be a big hit at any time.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 09:57:29 PM by bobofthenorth » Logged

R.J.(Bob) Evans
My website
Our weblog
Flyboy

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2007, 12:49:48 AM »

Thanks Bob,

Great advice.  I was leaning towards Nogales myself, thinking Lukeville on the suggestion of a friend who uses LV because it's quieter.  My last trip down in '03 we had no hitches at Nogales.  We are going to go the San Blas route as well.  I remember the winding hilly road from last time btw Tepic and PV, coastal to SB sounds better. 

Where do you turn off MEX15 to get to SB?

When I get home from Hawaii, I'm going to show my wife your advice regarding travel time.  It's going to be one of those "I told you so" moments as she wants to take more time getting there. Cheesy

Thanks again for the help.

I'll probably be asking more questions soon.

Aron.

Stan

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2007, 05:07:19 AM »

Aron: No info, different bus. A friend of mine with a 4104 with a 6-92 sold it to a AC pilot in SE BC and I thought it might be you.
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2007, 05:18:30 AM »

Since this is turning into a mexico thread I'll chime in with this.  I have driven all over mex over the years.  The one thing I never liked doing was driving at night.  I've done it and it was jsut weird, even in areas I knew.  Now that never stopped me, but I didn't enjoy it.  While travelling in unknown territories I only drive in the daytime (I don't really believe all the horror stories I have heard about night driving in mex, but have heard enough of them to be effected by them).  If this is something everybody already knows that great, but if someone is reading this and plans on trying to pound in the miles overnight....BTW I'm not the only one who doesn't drive at night, the times I have travelled through the countrside at night one of the reasons it spooks me is there atre no other cars or trucks out there.  When one finally does show up that is disconcerting as well....sounds like I'm afraid of the dark!  Oh well.

Hey Flyboy, could you post how much your mex liability is.  Maybe see you in mex, though I am planning on checking out the gulf coast for a change.  patrick

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: