Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
June 18, 2018, 08:27:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unanswerd Question  (Read 1155 times)
captain ron

« on: October 27, 2007, 12:52:33 PM »

I asked in another post about clipping the clamps off my smart charger and hard wiring it to my battery bank and have it plugged in to an outlet that is only hot when on shore power. Will the charger draw any power from the batteries when not turned on. I was told if I left it hooked to batteries when not charging it would drain the batteries. True or False?
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 12:59:16 PM »

Chuck, run one of the charging leads thru a relay thats activated by the shore power when you connect.>>>Dan

Utclmjmpr 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
captain ron

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 01:52:35 PM »

I was getting ready to ask if there was a valve or relay that only let current flow one way.
Chuck HuhHuhHuhHuh
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 06:38:57 PM »

I was getting ready to ask if there was a valve or relay that only let current flow one way.
Chuck HuhHuhHuhHuh

Since the output of the charger is thru diodes, which are one way, then the batteries can not discharge back thru the charger. If there is a n output voltmeter on the charger, then that meter could very slowly discharge the batteries.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 05:03:42 PM »

Chargers would need a battery voltage sense input( ideally running directly from the battery terminal, or at least connected after any diodes or other semiconductors) which should have very high input impedance so drawing microamps but the only way to check would be to disconnect the positive lead of the charger and connect an ammeter between the charger and the battery with the mains disconnected.  Anything less than 10 milliamps would probably not be worth worrying about

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: