Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 28, 2014, 07:34:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Distilled vs. Purified Water for batteries  (Read 9401 times)
Danny

87' MCI 102A3 - getting there...

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2006, 09:36:47 PM »

As some of you know - I just got my first grandbaby a few weeks back.  The instructions that came with her is to use distilled water for her baby formula.  I would think what's good for a baby can't be bad for a bus Cheesy

Danny

I have heard it said, "life comes at you fast".  I didn't know it would be in the shape of a bus  :-)
tucsontattoo

1962 4106

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2006, 10:27:23 PM »

Looks like everyone is talking about what this water has in it or that water has in it.I think we're missing the point here ,distilled water doesn't have anything in it but water. If you add anything else to the batteries other than water you run the risk of causing a secondary chemical reaction in the battery that will almost certainly have negative results, ie. sulfating, calcifying or just plain lowering the Ph of the electrolyte.
  My humble opinion, spend the 1.00 or 2.00 on a gallon of distilled and make it up by buying the store brand cola or something

Tucson

we do things three ways,good,fast or cheap. PICK TWO!
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2006, 11:09:06 PM »

distilled water doesn't have anything in it but water. If you add anything else to the batteries other than water you run the risk of causing a secondary chemical reaction in the battery that will almost certainly have negative results, ie. sulfating, calcifying or just plain lowering the Ph of the electrolyte.
† Tucson

I agree with Tucson, I used to work at a plant that made deionized water for the U.S. military. They used it in their batteries. Distilled and deionized will both work. They are just two different processes that get the same end result, pure water. The last time I bought some from Wal-mart I paid $0.50 a gal. Batteries start to die the minute they are manufactured. How you take care of them determines how long or short that process will be.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: