Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 12:08:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideas for multiuse bedroom??  (Read 3785 times)
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« on: October 29, 2007, 08:31:57 AM »

I am looking for ideas.

The bedroom in our MC7 is fully functional as is but I would like to turn it into a dual use room: bedroom at night and setting room/office by day.

We presently have a queen size bed and nothing else. The back wall over the shelf has been covered with a mirror by the PO which renders the space behind it useless.

I am thinking about tearing out the mirror wall and using that space for a book shelf, TV, and maybe some storage. I would like to have the bed hinged at the side so it would fold up during the day.  Possibly the under side of the bed would have a fold down desk to be used in the daytime.

Ideas? Opinions? Comments? Anyone else done something similar? Pictures?

Thanks!

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 08:44:01 AM »

If you don't mind separate beds, why not try 2 day beds or a futon?  That way you could have seating and sleeping. They you could do the shelving for books also.   Maybe turn it into a bedroom/tv room/library. 

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
captain ron

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 08:59:41 AM »

I would go with a Murphy type bed and do as you say with a desk that folds down from the bottom side of bed. Build book cases with base cabinets that have pullouts for printers and other perifials.  I am just a few miles away from you right now at Bruce knee's place and would be glad to meet with you to help with some planning or to do the work for you.
You can call me at 239-292-1750 Ron
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 09:14:34 AM »

Our bedroom is multi-use but the only furniture needed is the bed.    Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 09:20:28 AM »

Two ideas come to mind. One is the previously stated Murphy bed.  The other is what I used in my truck and what Safari motorhomes (and other toy haulers use in the back)- an elevator bed.  Down for night time use, raises to the ceiling for day time use.  Could build a fold up desk under the bed, or sofas, etc.  With both the Murphy and elevator bed, you can still use the mattress of choice, compared to a sleeper sofa with its' thin mattress.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
scanzel

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 10:09:52 AM »

Why not try a bunk bed. I am going to look into it in my conversion when I gut it. Wife on the bottom and me on top bed. This would free up more space for something else, a desk, computer stand etc.  Been married 35 years so we don't always need to be next to each other. When I snore she can just boot me from the bottom bunk.  Grin Grin

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
ChuckMC9

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 10:11:55 AM »

I made a home-made queen murphy. It's not lightweight, with a *thick* home-style matress, but have three 120 lb. air-springs and I can almost raise and lower with my fingertips.

Construction:

Version 1.0:
ChuckMC9

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 10:16:01 AM »

Someone else bought a store-bought mechanism, but the problem with those is that they hinge too close to the wall for centering the thing when down, so that both parties have a walkway. I didn't want one side against the wall.

I had to do some head-scratchin to get it centered when lowered while at the same time not be too high up to the ceiling to allow full verticalness.

I also made it tall enough when lowered to just clear a cedar-chest which is used for linen storage and a sitting bench. Future plans include attaching a headboard to the cedarchest which would be a seat back during the say but becomes a headboard at night when the bed is lowered.

And future plans also include exactly the fold-down desktop you described! Good thinkin'!

« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 10:21:29 AM by ChuckMC9 » Logged
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 11:37:24 AM »

Oldman,

Safari treck's layout was done with the bed coming down in the LR incorperated.  They were little coaches. 28 feet, but they lived like a 38 footer, I feel.  They had a really spacious bathroom suite with huge closets in the rear and it was also a dresing room.  The bed was part of the ceiling of the LR.  Down side was that the bed rested on the tops of the couch and table and was 4 feet high off the floor.  You had to get in bed from the bottom so clambering to bed was the proceedure.  Incredible how much space and luxury it added to that "little" coach.  It also put your entertainment center in both the bed room and living room.  That design adds 10 feet of living space to your coach so you can splurge on other stuff.  I would do it in a minute.... but wifey?Huh Always a rub, aye what?

2 cents,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 01:16:24 PM »

Thank you Bobofthenorth, that was better than most of the jokes I post.

Rocklers has 2 sets of plans for Murphy beds.  One has a fold down desk on it.  No's 31942 and 90829.  One set can be mounted to the wall at the end or the side of the bed.

the plans are reasonably priced at $10 and $13 but the hardware for the beds is a little pricey at $260. That's $200 more than I have in my bed.

Ed
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 01:19:35 PM by Kristinsgrandpa » Logged

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 02:54:20 PM »

Hey everyone, great pictures!   My lady friend suggested to me that if each space in the planned coach conversion could do double or triple duty, it would make the bus much more useable.  She is always right.  I guess the key is how much effort is spent converting from use to use-from duty to duty.

Your rear dinette area really begs to also be used as a sleeping area.  What else could it be used for?  Office?  Day seating?  Game rooom?  Card table?  TV room?  Ham radio shack?  Computer room?   Underseat storage?  Hobby storage?  Alcohol storage?  Secret smuggler contraband bays?  Smiley Smiley Smiley
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 03:56:42 PM »

Thanks for the ideas! At least I know other folks have done this with success.

I should have added a little more info.

1. We're not ready for separate beds yet!  Grin
2. Roof has not been lifted so the elevator bed would not work unless I want to crawl around the room.   Sad  (although that was the first idea I had)
3. Bob...TO MUCH INFORMATION!!!   Grin Grin Grin
4. Ron thanks for the offer but I am really about 3 hours from you and am just in the thinking stage right now.. Smiley I have to think, plan, and get the wifes approval!

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 09:02:58 PM »

I also want to modify the back area of my bus to make it more versatile. I am going to make mine a U shaped lounge that will convert into a bed. I captured these photos from a bus that was for sale on eBay. I thought it was neat that it could be converted from a queen bed, to two single beds, or to a lounge (note the mount for a table in the floor).
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 09:06:58 PM by Barn Owl » Logged

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2007, 10:12:11 PM »

Actually when thinking more about it, my bedroom is multipurpose.  My queen bed is raised so my entire water system is underneath- 130 gal water tank, hot and cold manifold system, 2-10 gal water heaters, 2 water pumps, solenoid and plumbing for the radiator misters.  Course if you have your water system underneath the floor, then you will have all the space to play with-I couldn't-since I have a transit with minimal under floor storage.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
captain ron

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2007, 10:24:50 PM »

My bedroom used to be multi use but as of lately I've only been sleeping in it  Embarrassed
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: