Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 27, 2014, 12:51:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideas for multiuse bedroom??  (Read 3797 times)
Don4107

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2007, 12:22:34 PM »

We have been trying to come up with ideas for ways to make better use of the bedroom space too.  Our first bus has a queen bed that is hard to make and get into and out of.  We are planning twin beds for the 4107.  We are accustom to a king sized bed. Two twins equal a king.  Being 35' we need the best use of all the space.

Some of the ideas we have been kicking around are:

1. Have one bed fold up against the wall to reveal desk space under it.  Problem, needs to be a bit too high, would block window. 

2.  Build a fold down desk from the foot of one of the beds that would cover foot of the mattress.  Problem, thickness of the mattress.

3.  A sliding panel that would pull out from under the head of one bed across the isle and rest on the other bed frame to form a desk.  Problem, narrow isle.  A couple of these and you can slide the twin beds together for king sized action.  Roll Eyes

4.  Build the bathroom sink at the foot of one bed and a fold down desktop to cover it for day use.  Problem, I like it, wife, not so much.  Alternate, no bathroom sink at all since the kitchen sink is so close, again, wife not so much.

5.  Put one bed along the side low with the other across the back on top of the engine doghouse with the foot over lapping the side bed leaving the other side open for desk/counter space.  Problem, we are getting to old for gymnastics just to get into and out of bed. Hard to make use of the space behind crosswise bed.  Hard to make the rear bed.

What are we going to do?  I am collecting cardboard to fab up a couple mattress sized boxes to play with and see how they fit.

Don 4107

Don 4107 Eastern Washington
1975 MCI 5B
1966 GM PD 4107 for sale
1968 GMC Carpenter
gus

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2007, 02:14:17 PM »

I've probably built a half dozen foam mattresses over the years. Before you buy any overpriced, heavyweight mattresses give this some thought.

I use two pieces. One is 2-3" thick of medium firm, the base is 4-6" of very firm. I put these two together inside a padded mattress cover with the softer one on top so it will have enough give to conform to body shapes. I would have preferred soft for the top but it wasn't available. The very firm is the base with very little give. Of course the platform for the mattress must be solid, I use 3/4" plywood.

This works just as well as the overpriced "memory" foams and at a fraction of the cost.

I just did one like this for the bus. The top was still a bit too firm for me so I added another one inch softer bed topper. That is still a bit firm so I plan to add still another. That is the nice thing about this method, you can do anything you want.

I buy all of my foam from JC Penny mail order. The quality is first rate and the price is reasonable. The toppers I buy at WM.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2007, 02:31:38 PM »

That's exactly how Malibu builds up their foam for the upholstery in their high end ski boats.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Don4107

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2007, 03:11:08 PM »

We built the mattress in the old bus using a foam base and memory foam on top.  The 4107 will have an air bladder mattress on my side (very lite, easy to move, fold) and the wife likes foam.  Another reason for the twin bed, each to their own.

Don 4107

1975 MCI 5B
1966 GM PD 4107 for sale
1968 GMC Carpenter
Jerry Liebler

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2007, 03:41:55 PM »

Don,
    My couch in the front of the bus, can be a twin sized bed or folded up along the wall.  I initially bought it from an RV surplus place.  I'm now only using the cushions having completely redsigned and rebuilt it so that the back is now angled comfortably.  Basically the cushioning is a twin sized foam mattress cut along the long dimension to make seat and back cushions when it's used as a couch.  It actually is a pretty comfortable bed.  I guess my bedroom is 'dual use' because when we use the bath tub, the closet, normally over it gets rolled back into the bedroom.  Living with 35 feet has it's challenges.
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2007, 05:03:07 PM »

We have a Select Comfort mattress at home now. It is, or course, air filled. We have considered using the same kind in the bus in our "multi use" bedroom. The up side would be it can be deflated quickly which would allow a lot more flexibility in a fold up/bend over/whatever type bed. Downside is they are very hot. Wonderful in the winter, but requires extra A/C in the summer. We haven't given up on this idea yet.

Thanks again for all the ideas! I still say this board is full of geniuses.  Grin Grin

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2007, 06:33:39 PM »

How bout large throw pillows or husband pillows aginst the wall in the day time to make it a lounge and the fold/swing in desk, kinda like a the hospital tables and a couple laptops/etc.

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2007, 08:35:02 PM »

Gus, or any of you that used the foam for mattresses....

Did you cover the foam with anything or do you just stack them and put the sheets on?  How do you keep them together? Do you glue them together, or what?

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2007, 08:51:48 PM »

I watched them do it at the Malibu factory Craig.  All they do is use contact cement to stick the layers together.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2007, 09:02:16 PM »

This is intriguing.

At JC Penney website, I can get two pieces of foam 3" each, one firm, one extra firm, in queen size, and then cut them in half and make two bunk bed mattresses for about $75 each. 

Queen for the master for about $150.  Seems decent, but I haven't priced the mattress factory price, yet.

Someone else posted another link in another thread about another place to order foam. Need to look into that one, too.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Jerry Liebler

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2007, 09:11:59 PM »

Craig,
    I used 3 layers in my mattress s.  3" of ILD 55 (very firm) on the bottom, 3" of ILD 36 (medium) in the middle and 1" of ILD 15 (soft) latex on the top.  The layers aren't glued together but are sort of held together in a zippered mattress cover.  I got the mattress cover from the foam supplier.  I'm very pleased with them, they are very comfortable.
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2007, 09:39:44 PM »

Thanks Jerry.

I was looking at the site you posted the other day (I think it was you that posted it). Looks like your mattress w/ cover would be about $350 for a queen size. Is that about right?

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Don4107

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2007, 09:43:05 PM »

You might want to check out the foam ratings in person.  Firm foam is VERY firm.  Foam is also used to make seat bottoms where most of your weight is concentrated in a rather small area compared to lying down. This is why if you have a dinette or such that makes down to a bed in the typical S&S or boat it is a VERY hard mattress to sleep on if does not bottom out when you are sitting on it.  But then maybe you strain the scales a lot less than I do! Grin

Another issue with foam is the thicker or more layers, the firmer it feels.  Try to locate a local upholstery shop and give it try before you order.  We ended up with medium to light on the bottom.  As I said if you put another layer on top it has the effect of making it feel firmer.  Go check out the memory foam mattresses and try to get a 'feel' for the firmness of the layers.  We have one at home and the bottom layer is much softer than the one we put together for the old bus.  Much better to sleep on too.

A medium foam base with a 3" memory foam layer on top works pretty well for us.  You don't need to attach the layers.  In fact I would avoid it because the top layer will wear out and soil first.  Memory foam even faster. 

If you use memory foam one of the secrets to getting the best performance out of it or other foam is to use loose fitting and/or sheets that will stretch.  Other wise you get the drum head effect.  That is in order to sink in to the foam you have to depress the whole area around you because of the tight sheet.  Makes the foam feel much firmer than it is.   Mattress covers can cause this also.

Good luck

Don 4107

1975 MCI 5B
1966 GM PD 4107 for sale
1968 GMC Carpenter
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2007, 05:07:22 AM »

I'm straining my memory here but I had a foam mattress when I was a kid ( yes! I was actually young a very long time ago!!!) and it seems to me it was hot also. Of course, this was before A/C and I think the earth was still cooling..... Is the newer foam "less" hot?

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
Jerry Liebler

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2007, 07:49:09 AM »

Craig,
    Yes it was me that posted a link to 'FoambyMail.  The $350 sounds about right, as I recall I paid about $300 for my two twin size mattress. But that was a couple of years ago and oil prices have jumped substantially.
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: