Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 12:56:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wisdom of takeoffs?  (Read 2423 times)
Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 03:03:11 AM »

I'm using 11R24.5w on the drivers and a new set of steer 12R22.5s  with 315 80R22.5 on the tags and carry a 11R24.5 spare

1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 04:32:48 PM »

It is a proven fact that 50% of the alligators you see on the road are from NEW tires.  Recaps are a viable alternative on the drive and tag axles.  The main destroyer of any tire, especially recaps are low tire pressure casing excessive tire heat buildup, leading to tire failure.

As to front tires, buy the very best you can-in my book that is Michelin.  They are expensive, but are the best tire made.

My first set of tires were Dunlops which I liked.  But since Dunlop was bought by GoodYear, my tire guy won't carry them since he knows that GoodYear are junk.  But- the Dunlops lasted me 12 years.  I store my bus indoors so I don't have the UV ray problem.  I only got rid of them since they were starting to show minor sidewall cracking.  Now have Michelin XZE 11R-24.5 16ply all the way around.  I run them at 90psi and have a good ride quality.

Remember- the biggest number one factor to tire life, performance and ride quality is the tire pressure you run the tire at.  DO NOT run the tire at the maximum tire pressure printed on the side of the tire, unless you are running that weight on the axle.  As posted many times before, have your bus weighed in full running form by axle then you can figure you tire pressure by what is posted by your tire manufacturer on the tire inflation guides. 
Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 06:43:23 PM »

Yes,Tom is right.

Road alligators are NOT all re-caps.

I wish I could remember the research project that this is from.

Government paid one of the universities to go out and analyze all that crap at roadside.

Proper research study, scientists and all that.

Of course, as long as most believe the myths, remanufactured tires will be cheaper.
If you all believe the truth, the b***$%^s will raise the prices!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: