Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 02:12:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: basic question re: 40W oil. Where do you buy it? And what's a good price?  (Read 4889 times)
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« on: October 30, 2007, 09:48:02 AM »

Not feeling fussy after trying Oreilly's for Delo 100, tried a chevron distributor they need 2 weeks lead time.  Walmart in Duluth doesn't stock 40w of any kind.  I guess I could haul it from montreal, but that is silly.  So...what's between chicago and duluth mn that will have 40 wt for me?  Didn't think this would be so hard.  Ah the little things. 
Also does anyone have the napa part # for the oil filter "53 4104 with a 6-71? Thanks, Patrick. 
p.s. I think I'm up to speed on the oil just need to know where to buy it.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 09:56:50 AM by zubzub » Logged

luvrbus

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 10:02:01 AM »

If you change to Shell Rotella you can buy it at most Napa stores for 10.95 a gal DD dealers sell 40w for the the 2 strokes for about the same price
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 10:08:57 AM by luvrbus » Logged
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 06:19:06 PM »

ZubZub,

I called a few "oil dealers" around here in Portland,Or.  I got a lot of different prices and the best was $9.48/ gal in 5 gal "buckets".  Shop around and buy from the cheapest source.  You are buying the CF-2 spec for two cycles so the brands don't differ that much but they certainly do differ.  Mostly in the ash content.

Happy hunting,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.
Pla
gus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 06:31:13 PM »

In your cold country I would just use the "Heavy Duty" 30W oil from WM until warmer weather. It comes in blue two gal plastic jugs and is around $13-15 for two gal. Look on the back label and make sure it says CF-2. It most likely will because that is about the only single weight sold in large containers. They may even have it in 5 gal buckets.

I tried to get the WM manager here to order me some 40W but he wasn't interested.

Farm stores are another good place to look.

Chevron is almost impossible to find since they were bought out by Shell.

Marinas are a good place to look, I found some good prices at a marine store in Seattle last spring.

Oil prices have gone up so expect to pay $10+ almost anywhere.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 08:35:13 AM »

Chevron is almost impossible to find since they were bought out by Shell.

Gus -

I didn't know Shell bought Chevron.  I know Chevron bought out Texaco a couple of years ago.  When this this take place?  I couldn't find anything about it using Google.

ZubZub -

If you go to Chevron's website, they have a dealer/distributor locator to help you find someone in your area.  Expect some delay, most don't stock Delo 100, but can usually get it within a few days.  Which means - plan ahead.  Order at least two cases (six gallon jugs per case) so you've got enough for an oil change and extra.

Ten bucks a gallon sounds about right, with current oil pricing.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
dvrasor

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 10:37:51 AM »

Just bought a 55 gal. drum of Delo 100 40wt. in orlando two weeks
 ago for 500.00.Taxes and compliance fees were 38.18. That was
 delivered to my door. Total 538.18.

Dave Rasor 4104-2375
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 12:49:29 PM »

That equates to $9.79 per gallon.

Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 03:13:33 PM »

As noted, older boats, older construction equipment, bus fleets all have DD's in them and need the right oil. Ask around as to where they get theirs.

Gotta be a DD dealer somewhere in the neighbourhood.

Nothing wrong with buying a drum and put it in all your stuff...
beyond warrenty coverage, that is!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 08:35:49 PM »

Im not sure why there is never much mention of Exxons XD-3 when this subject pops up. Its better than the Rotella according to the tejas web site (http://www.tejascoach.com/tips.html). In my town it was very easy to find and the price was better than my other oil options.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Its the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
luvrbus

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 10:17:33 PM »

Zubzub, you don't have to use Delo 100  you can use Delo 400 or Delo rpm now since they have removed most of the ash on the new oils.i know people will disagree but if you go to Chevron Delo 400 engine oils on the web and you will see that they are DD 2 stroke specs and the 400 in 40w you can also buy at Napa Auto Parts.forgot to post the address  http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/nofl/trucking/content/prods
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 11:57:41 PM by luvrbus » Logged
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 10:57:08 PM »

Luvrbus -

Sorry, but that's not quite accurate.

If you surf thru Chevron's site to the Product Data Sheets, it specifically says on the Delo 400 page that, and I'm quoting here:

"Chevron Delo 400 oils are not recommended for use in DDC two-stroke engines."

If you view the PDS for Delo 100, you'll find this:

Chevron Delo 100 Motor Oils:
meet API Service Categories
CF-2, CF, CD-II1, CD1
comply with Detroit Diesel Corporation two-stroke engine recommendations, including the 0.85% ash maximum limit for Series 149 engines.

At one point in time, D-400 was CF-2 rated, but no longer.  Also, D-400 is most commonly found as multi-weight 15-40w, and Detroit is pretty clear about not using multi-weight oil in their two-strokes.  And many a busnut on this site will confirm the difference with their own coach when switching to the correct CF-2 oil, be it Chevron, Shell, Exxon, etc.

As I said before, the correct oil for our two-stroke engines is available, you just have to plan ahead.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
luvrbus

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 12:24:42 AM »

Russ, heres the quote from Chevron
 Chevron's primary recommendations for the two cycle diesel engine is Delo 100 specifically for the DD 149 diesel engine
We recommend Chevron RPM heavy duty sae 40 or 50
Delo 400 sae 30,40 and 50 meet the requirements of API CF-2 and are also recommend for the two cycle diesel engines

@2007 Chevron Products CO San Ramon CA
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 12:29:18 AM by luvrbus » Logged
Dallas

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 05:45:17 AM »

Russ, heres the quote from Chevron
 Chevron's primary recommendations for the two cycle diesel engine is Delo 100 specifically for the DD 149 diesel engine
We recommend Chevron RPM heavy duty sae 40 or 50
Delo 400 sae 30,40 and 50 meet the requirements of API CF-2 and are also recommend for the two cycle diesel engines

@2007 Chevron Products CO San Ramon CA

Where, exactly did you find that quote?
I looked through all of the product data sheets for the different types of Delo 400 and can find No reference to these oils meeting API CF-2. All of the Specifically point out that they are for Detroit Diesel 4 stroke engines.
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 07:17:28 AM »

http://www.chevrondelo.com/en/deloworldwide/uscanadamexico/default.asp#multigrade
 half way down the page it states... that the delo 400

Available in SAE 15W-40. Also available in monogrades SAE 30, 40, and 50, which meet API CF-2 requirements and are also suitable for two-stroke diesel engines.

If you go further down the page under the specs of delo 100

Applications
Delo 100 Grades SAE 30, 40, and 50 comply with Detroit Diesel Corporation's two-cycle engine recommendations for the 71 and 92 Series

So from my unlearned position, Delo 100 is the way to go, but...if you have to, single weight delo 400 might do.  When I talked to a Chicago distributor for chevron she told me up top 2 weeks lead time required for the 100.  Since NAPA seems to stock a reasonable oil this is all mute really.  But when I have time I'll order the Delo 100 as on paper it sure seems best. re lowest ash etc....
Patrick.

DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 07:28:53 AM »

I believe it is pretty plain in this data:

Applications
Delo 100 Grades SAE 30, 40, and 50 comply with Detroit Diesel Corporation's two-cycle engine recommendations for the 71 and 92 Series

Delo 100 Grades SAE 40 and 50 meet the viscosity and 0.8 percent ash limit for DDC Series 149 engines

Two- and four-stroke diesel engines in farm machinery, construction equipment, marine, and other off-highway applications

Select Performance Specifications
SAE, 30, 40, 50: CF-2, CD-II (obsolete specification)
All grades: CF, CD (obsolete specification)
Compliance with Detroit Diesel Corporation two-stroke engine recommendations

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
luvrbus

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2007, 08:01:28 AM »

FWIW the EPA mandates that motor oil made after Jan 2007 will be less than 1% ash this topic comes up ever so often and i was just telling zubzub what options he
had if he was unable to find Delo 100
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 08:09:58 AM by luvrbus » Logged
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2007, 09:11:15 AM »

Has anyone checked to see if the new CF-2 ratings are listed on the Delo 400 containers?

I use Delo 100 but would use the Delo 400 if necessary, if I knew which containers were new and which were old.

I use the Delo 400 in my dump truck (Cat eng.) and it would simplify my oil supplies to stock one oil.

I'll look the next time I'm at Autozone.

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
gus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2007, 01:16:48 PM »

Russ,

You're absolutely correct, I got my oil companies confused. It was the Texaco equivalent of Delo 100 that was discontinued!

I'm really interested in seeing where this discussion on Delo 400 CF-2 for DD 2-strokes is going?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 01:19:02 PM by gus » Logged

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2007, 02:16:55 PM »

I found Rotella 40 wt for $10.06\gallon and Delo 100 40wt for $10.33 here in SLC.
These sound like decent prices aren't they?

Question: how much extra oil does everyone carry while out on the road?

-Dave
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 02:21:28 PM by Dax » Logged

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2007, 02:49:23 PM »

Dave,

I carry enough to do an oil change.

Main reason is that if I leaked it all out, I want enough to fill it back up no matter where I am at and no
matter what hour it is.

If I didn't need the CF-2 oil, I might not carry so much as the 4 stroke is everywhere.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2007, 02:54:25 PM »

Detroit Dealer network here in Toronto (Harper) sells the Exxon XD-3 straight grade oil brand.

I can tell you that the DD 6V71N in the older transits around here are not getting the mileage out of the engines that they did historically, it is felt by many due to 15W40 multi-grade oil being put in them.

Large in house rebuild shop with written procedures and quality assurance down through the ages, engine dyno, good parts, no other variables can be identified.

My own coach arrived with fresh multi-grade oil in it and consumed oil. I didn't know any better at that time. After I changed it out to the proper 40 wt, oil consumption dropped dramatically.

I'm sticking with the recommended brands and grades.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Flyboy

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2007, 09:49:37 PM »

I'm running straight 30W in my Grim Leaker...went to Canadian tire today and bought it in 1 litre size for $2.09 a pop.  The guys eyes bugged out when I asked for two cases.

On another note...does it matter if you mix brands? 

Had a great run yesterday from Kelowna, BC to Vancouver.  It was our longest leg so far in the bus.  First of many on the way to Mexico.  The old girl performed flawlessly and we made pretty good time.  Lots of slow 9% up and downgrades.  I had a guy on a bicycle pass me and give me the bird on one of the long grinds...(just kiddin') my wife did threaten to get out and walk though! Grin

Payin' for the sins of my youth when I was the fastest on the road.  I was having serious turbo envy when the gear jammers were passin' me by.

I'll keep you updated on our progress.

Cheers.

Aron.

IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING!
redbus

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2007, 06:03:50 AM »

After ordering oil at a local dist. A couple of times they now stock it for me. When we go out for the winter I take 6-8 gallon of oil with me.

Terry
"Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, Believe in them, and try to follow them." ~Louisa May Alcott~
www.awayweare.blogspot.com/
luvrbus

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2007, 06:14:50 AM »

DX, i carry 3 gal in a oil tank that is hooked up to my filler on the engine. i installed the tank because i was always have a problem with the oil jugs leaking.  most of the DD use a gal between 1000 to 2000 miles some more some less and yes that is a fair price for the oil
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 06:21:14 AM by luvrbus » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: