Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 02:39:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battery isolator coming from Alternator  (Read 1085 times)
DROdio
WonderlandBus

1989 VanHool T-815 - "WonderlandBus"

Ignore
« on: May 24, 2006, 07:21:52 PM »

One of the members on this BBS is graciously helping me with my RV electrical system, and he's told me to get a battery isolator to run from the alternator that's being used to charge my 20 deep cycle batteries.  I don't want to keep bugging him so i thought I'd throw this out to everyone:  What is the battery isolator for?

I just bought a 200 amp 12v alternator that we're going to use to recharge the battery bank.  And I found a battery isolator here: http://www.emarineinc.com/products/alternators/isolators.html (although i'm not even sure it's the exact thing Nick's looking for).  But I can't figure out exactly why it would be needed.  Any insight would be appreciated!

"WonderlandBus"
1989 VanHool T-815

Daniel@WonderlandBus.com
www.WonderlandBus.com
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 07:26:51 PM »

Normally its used to seperate the Start batteries from the House batteries.

They are only connected when the engine is running.

The solenoid is setup to only connect them when it sense the voltage from the gen/alt.

This way you dont drain the starts while you are parked.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
DROdio
WonderlandBus

1989 VanHool T-815 - "WonderlandBus"

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 07:45:18 PM »

aaah, got it, thanks!

"WonderlandBus"
1989 VanHool T-815

Daniel@WonderlandBus.com
www.WonderlandBus.com
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 08:51:23 PM »

The trouble with isolators is that they use a diode as a "one-way" valve. The diode creates a voltage drop that you have to account for. The Shottkey (sp?) diode has much less drop, but some nonetheless.

A solenoid by its nature doesn't have a voltage drop.

Also, if you're buying a second alt. (as opposed to the coach alt.), you don't need an isolator at all, since both systems would be isolated. If it's a replacement for your coach alt., then that's a different story.

BTW, my Buffalo has the stock alt. @ 24v and a second 12v alt. to charge the house/ inverter batts. I didn't set this system up, or I would have just used the existing 24v system to run a BIG 24v inverter and center-tapped or used a Vanner for my few 12v loads... and used a solenoid to isolate them.

Just an FYI,
Brian Brown

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: