Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 09:14:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Freightliner Argosy Converson  (Read 5000 times)
TomC

Ignore
« on: November 08, 2007, 07:22:58 AM »

I've always favored cabover trucks-never saw the logic of the wasted space of the hood (course may have a better chance in an accident) and when you tilt the cabover you have access to both the engine and transmission (unlike the conventional where the transmission is under the cab).  So when I saw both the big sleeper tractor and the motorhome conversions based on Freightliners Argosy cabover, I thought you all would like to see this too.  The tractor was at the SEMA convention this last weekend representing Toyo tires-it cost about $650,000.  The 42ft motorhome is around $850,000.  But-when you compare that to the $1.5 million or so for a Marathon Prevost conversion, not a bad price.  What they did was to move the engine/transmission from over the front axle to just in front of the rear axle-making a mid engine.  It is serviced through a hatch in the floor of the motorhome, doors on the sides, and can drop the entire engine/transmission to the floor for major work-not anymore difficult than a bus.  Take a look at www.twinscustomcoaches.com.
I have no affiliation with Twins Custom Coaches-just thought you'd like to see an extreme Freightliner truck conversion.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
BusCrazyTom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 08:17:20 AM »

Beautiful, but I'd hate to make those payments..... Cry
prevost82
82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed

82 Prevost Marathon XL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 08:22:44 AM »

Payments and a truck suspension no thanks
Ron
Sammy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 12:24:15 PM »

Very cool conversion. Would like to see a straight job cab over (26?,30? footer) done up the same way.
Thanks for the link.  Cool
Don4107

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 12:32:29 PM »

Payments?  What payments?  If you are full-timing it they might never track you down!  Smiley

Don 4107 Eastern Washington
1975 MCI 5B
1966 GM PD 4107 for sale
1968 GMC Carpenter
BusCrazyTom

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 12:47:05 PM »

I doubt it Don, for that kinda money someone could make hunting you down a full time job.
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 01:17:21 PM »

I'm now wondering if we are seeing the beginning of another potential phase of the American trucking industry--finally a doable concept addressing the shortcomings of the current heavy truck tractor market.  Imagine a version of this coach expressed designed for heavy hauling--with all the emenites of a luxury coach.  This looks like a combination of a RV and a truck tractor. Smiley
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 04:22:19 PM »

I looked at that rig.. WOW...

Kinda makes you want to start doing expediter work with a short trailer
and the 35 footer. I wonder if F*dex would entertain one of those in the custom specialty hauling area?

Very Cool.. And they only started in 2006 and already have production models out and running.... Somebody was paying attention in engineering school.

Dave....

( I couldn't afford the air in the tires myself.. ) Embarrassed Embarrassed

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 05:43:46 PM »

Payments and a truck suspension no thanks
Ron

The payments would be onerous, but I'd bet the truck rides as well as our buses?
Trucks and buses use similar air suspension components. Air ride is the cat's a$$!   Wink
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Green-Hornet

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 06:33:54 PM »

Is that designed to be used as a commercial hauler or for private use Huh
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: