Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 11:15:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AC Refrigerators  (Read 4004 times)
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« on: November 11, 2007, 04:30:05 PM »

I'm to the point where I need to go ahead and get a 'real' 'fridge for my bus.  The little 4.2 cu. ft. model isn't big enough, plus, I can't finish out the counters, cabinets, or pantry 'til I get the 'fridge in.  So far, I'm considering both frost free and cycle defrost (manual) models.  I want one with a separate freezer - I despise opening the 'fridge to get to the freezer.  I'd also like one that's got a stainless look to it.  Black would work, but white wouldn't be cool at all.  Some other considerations are:
1) Width:  some models are under 22" which will give me more room for the pantry and some additional insulation on the sides
2) Height:  under 60" will allow me to stack the microwave on top, which will work perfectly for my layout
3) Power consumption:  the lower the better

Here are some models I'm considering:

Avanti RA757PST
www.amroyal.com/index.php?cmd=product&item=13797

Avanti FF99
www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/FF99.html?brand_store=1

Frigidaire FRT104FW
www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/FRT104FW.html

Summit CP133
www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/CP133.html

Summit CP97
www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/CP97.html

Kenmore 9.5
www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_04662912000P?vName=Appliances&cName=Refrigerators&sName=Top+Freezer+Refrigerators

I'm not finding much in the way of info on these in terms of reviews or energy consumption.  What brands and models are others out there using with good results? Thanks!

David
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 04:39:35 PM »

David, we bought a used fridge at a flea market and it works great. It uses less power than the small apartment sized one that we had to start with.  Ours does not have a separate freezer though I wish it did.  I spend a good bit of time defrosting.  Our main problem was that we had to take the door off the fridge to get it in our bus.  I would never go back to any other kind of fridge.  I think most any kind of home fridge would work great as long as it goes through the door.  Cat

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 04:43:51 PM »

... most any kind of home fridge would work great as long as it goes through the door.  Cat

Hi Cat.  That's one of the issues.  24" is about the widest or deepest that I can fit in the bus without removing a windshield, but that's not gonna happen!  I had a used one that fit perfectly, but the 'fridge didn't get cold enough.

David
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 04:49:23 PM »

Try measuring whichever fridge you look at without the door.  They are easy to take off until you get it in the door

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
redbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 04:50:25 PM »

We put in A 14.27 cu. ft.Haier m/n HTE14WAAWW Had to take out windshield to get in ( not a big deal).

Terry
"Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, Believe in them, and try to follow them." ~Louisa May Alcott~
www.awayweare.blogspot.com/
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 05:04:34 PM »

Hi David,

You have alot of choices...

I would only look for an energy star model, you will be glad you spent a few extra bucks for it.

My 22 cf. side by side Frigidaire energy star model in my bus only draws 4.3 amps.

there are alot of energy suckers out there, so be careful..

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 05:34:02 PM »

Here's an excellent list of all the fridges out there and what they draw power wise

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=refrig.display_products_html

I got a Summit CM115 and I'm MORE than happy with it.  Consider doing what I did... I bought a cheapo 1000w / 2000w surge pure sine inverter from ebay (chinese, about $250)
and wired it permanently to the fridge.  The compressor hooks directly to the inverter's output, and the temperature control switch in the fridge that used to hook to the compressor now hooks to the on/off switch wires of the inverter. 

So now the inverter only comes on when the compressor is needed, when I'm on shore my 12 volt converter takes care of it, when on the road the alternator takes care of it and when I'm in the boonies it'll go about 2-3 days on my set of four T125 house batteries.  No muss no fuss, no switches to change, nothing to forget, and it's seamless.  I love it...

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
Dallas

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 05:45:31 PM »

David, If you undo the modesty panel and the lower panels on the entry way, you can get about 29" of clearance on an 8 or a 9. There is also a little more room a little higher up.

IHTH,

Dallas
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 05:56:42 PM »

Boogie,

You are the man.  I did something similar with my freeze proof system but didn't think of it for tr fridge.  I also used a really cheap inverter, 400 watt, caus it was driving ac relays.  I really like your idea of zero draw when the inverter isn't being used.  Thank you very much.

I have always thought those San Diego types were exceptionally clever and I say that in spite of being from Poway and La Mesa.  oops.

Thanks,
John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 07:09:40 PM »

I think mine is just a magic chef,  they had the black with stainless look dorss at the lowe's saturday below $200 and on scratch and dent i believe. mine is about 10 cu ft and the tag says 1.9 amps., 

if you get one with frost free, make sure you have the switch to turn it off,  there were articles going round a while back on how to put one in if you dont have it.  see George Meyers.  you don't want the defrost running on batteries.  pay for it since your buying new

I have the trace 4024 and it has a mode that i use when i park,  it is in stand by and only clicks on when ac power is needed.  like fridge cycling or watter pump.  you have to turn off all the LED and LCD loads because there just enough to confuse it.  I  like bobs clever idea if i didn't already have it.

HTH

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 09:59:34 PM »

Something to consider about 120vac reefers.  As stated by Nick, his draws 4.3 amps-which is admirably low.  But consider that running through an inverter, like if you're dry camping.  4.3 amps at 120 volts converts to 43 amps at 12 volts (volts times amps equals watts.  Watts used is always the same, the combination of amps and volts can change to achieve those watts).  Considering an inverter is about 90% efficient, that means you'll be pulling about 48 amps-add to that inefficencies in the system, and you get a round figure of about 50 amps from the batteries through the inverter to run the reefer.  If you do mostly power polling, that's not a problem.  If you do a lot of dry camping, you'll need a big battery bank. 
Compare that to the Norcold compressor type I have.  It pulls 5.5 amps at 12 volts and runs about 50% of the time, for about 3 amp hours.  If Nicks runs also 50% of the time, you'll be looking at 25 amp hours.  Course the big difference in cost is a major consideration.  $400 for the 120vac is alot less than the $1200 for a new Norcold.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 10:32:03 PM »

David, at home, we have a cycle defrost and it is the best refrigerator we have ever owned. It uses less power because the defrost does not require any power. The freezer holds food literally for years because it never warms up from a defrost cycle like most frost free models do.

I would not consider a refrigerator for the bus that took 3 or 4 amps of AC to run. We use propane because we are set up to boondock. We run 4 L16s and are good for most of a week after we park, if it's not too cold outside.

With 220 watts of solar panels and sunny days, we don't need the power pole or generator at all.

The norcold compressor model is the way to go if you want to boondock and not run on gas. I would think you would need a few more panels for that to work, though.

For what it's worth.

Tom Caffrey

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
Stone

67 MCI 5A Challenger 8V71 allison MT644

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 11:44:28 PM »

TO Boogiethecat        ? if your fridge is wired the way you say and if I understand it correctly. when the temp drops in the fridge and kicks on, the inverter is then turned on by the temp switch...instead of the compressor....
If this is correct then the compressor in the fridge and the inverter starts at the very same time.  If so the inverter would be trying to start while under load from the compressor....Am I correct....

And when you say your compressor is wired to the inverter ' do you mean the fridge plug is plugged into the inverter ac socket ?   

I am not questioning your wiring or your  idea....I think is it an idea I might try...I just want to see if I understand what it is you are doing.....thanks.....Stone..... Huh Huh Huh
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007, 04:31:54 AM »

Here's mine- Frigidare.    We love it. I couldnt wait to get rid of the Notcold (er, I mean Norcold)
A little taller than the RV model, but lots more interior space.
  I paid less than $200 (for brand new fridge) at the scratch & dent place locally. The scratch was on the side ;-)
   6 golf cart batteries + SW4024 = EZ fridge that makes Mama happy.

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
Jerry Liebler

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2007, 06:23:39 AM »

David,
     First off you'll want to look at http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=find_a_product.
And shop for lowest kwh/year.    I have an Avanti 651 with a SS front.  It's 6.3 cu. ft.  Manual defrost of freezer rated at 254KWH/yr.    The Summit model you mention may a good choice also, check it's energy star rating, I think it is 285 KWH/yr.  Also, try to get one that has the condenser coils on the back, if it does you can add insulation to reduce power use.  I added 1" of R7 foam round the sides,bottom and back of mine and 1.5" on the top.  I also relocated the compressor about 2" further to the rear.   These changes reduced my measured power usage to 19 W average over 24 hours or in the energy star units 166kwh/yr, but my initial measurement was 223kwh/yr.  BTW The peak wattage with the compressor running is 150 watts or about 1.25 amps, far less than the 4.3 mentioned above. 
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: