Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 22, 2014, 09:57:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What fluid does Ross power steering use?  (Read 1097 times)
NCbob

« on: May 26, 2006, 01:43:40 PM »

Checking out my bus today and repaired the blower sight glass.  Which prompted me to check the rest of the fluids.  My MC5A has retrofitted Ross power steering and it appears the sight glass is MT!  Angry

Do any of the more astute among you know what would be the proper fluid to bring it up to level?  Smiley

Normally, I would use power steering fluid, but in this case, just in case it's hydraulic oil... Embarrassed  I thought I'd better check it out.

Thanks,

NCbob
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 02:01:05 PM by NCbob » Logged
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 07:02:49 PM »

Hi Bob,
If it's red, its Dexron.  If it's brown, it's 10W30 motor oil.  MCI used both.  Pull the cover off the res and see what color the oil is.   You can tell by the smell too.  Automatic trans fluid stinks.  Motor oil doesn't. 
You don't want to mix them, but either works fine. 
Best, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: