Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 20, 2014, 10:08:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's Official  (Read 4642 times)
Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« on: November 16, 2007, 05:10:13 PM »

Tomorrow morning I head out for the hinter lands of Union City, TN.  The home of BK, Dallas, Cat and my MC8.  With a whole lot of help from Dallas, we are going to put a hitch on the bus, a tow bar on the jeep and generally look over the bus so I can head back home after Thanksgiving.

This will be an adventure for me, I have never driven any thing over 28 foot.  But as long as it has wheels I do believe I can drive it . Smiley

My route will start in Northern Virginia and take me down I-81 to I-40 and across Tennessee.  If time permits I would love to meet some fellow bus nuts.  As it is now I will be spending the night in Roanoke on the return trip.

Let the adventure begin.........

Frank

The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8
Dreamscape

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 05:36:34 PM »

Frank,

So glad to get to drive her home! I know you will feel great behind the wheel of your coach. Take it easy and be safe.

Make sure before you leave that everything is there. Count your lug nuts and make sure the motor is in there. Remember they bought that parts truck. You never know what BK and his crew have done.  Grin

Paul
captain ron

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 05:38:47 PM »

Frank, you'll need to stop at busnut places on the way to get your bus and play a little game called find the missing parts.  Grin
Good luck on your adventure.
cody

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 05:43:04 PM »

Just remember frank, don't run the defroster, you don't want that catfish thats in the vent to get too warm.  Might be kind of ripe now.
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 06:08:31 PM »

Frank,
When do you expect to be coming through Roanoke?  If I'm gonna be around, I'll buy the coffee and look over your treasure on wheels!  There are a couple of bus nuts around here! 
Dennis

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 07:24:38 PM »

CONGRATULATIONS FRANK!!!!!

Phyllis & I wish you the best.

Have fun at BK's but watch your back........

Cat is a very nice lady.

The jury is still out on Dallas... Grin Grin Grin

I don't know BK personally but he associates with Dallas.....  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Also, there appears to be a lot of MCI parts floating around....   Grin Grin Grin Grin

Have fun!!

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
redbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 07:40:35 PM »

Frank
Good luck on your new bus. We are at a RV park about 10 miles north of Knoxville. Will be here till Dec.2.If you need anything let me know.

Terry
"Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, Believe in them, and try to follow them." ~Louisa May Alcott~
www.awayweare.blogspot.com/
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 08:43:25 PM »

Frank, we are looking forward to seeing you again. There are some  problems though.  If you are here talking to D, who's gonna be in the chat room?  Also, I'm sure gonna miss my bus.  LOL Be careful on your way here and don't forget to bring a jacket.  It's a wee bit chilly here right now.  Cat

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 10:00:19 PM »

Where in Roanoke are you going to overnight? What day/time will you be here? Like Dennis said, lets try to get together and do lunch or something. Good luck on the trip.

Laryn

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 12:03:47 AM »

Frank -

There is a difference between 28 feet and 40 feet, and it's all in the wheelbase!

Biggest thing:  Remember that everything is behind you!  You're sitting almost four feet in front of the steering axle, not on top of or behind it.  Makes a big difference.

Also, as you go around a corner, you're controlling where the REAR DRIVE AXLE is going, not the front end.  That's the pivot point you've got to contend with.  If you don't, believe me, curbs, gutters, fire hydrants, stop signs and signal lights will jump off the corners and BITE YOU - most of the time in the rear baggage bin!!  You must watch your mirrors as you make the turns.

When coming to a RH corner, set your coach up 18 - 36" and parallel to the curb.  This will keep four-wheelers from sneaking up alongside you.  DO NOT, under ANY circumstances, swing the front of the coach to the LEFT before you start your RH turn.  This can, and does, create accidents - the car on your left swerves to avoid what he thinks is you changing lanes into him, so he tries to get out of the way - straight into oncoming traffic.  Not good. . .

Instead, proceed straight into the intersection until the front axle clears the curb line of the street you're turning onto, then start your turn, watching both the RH mirror and out the windshield for traffic and rear axle placement.  If no traffic, you're on your way.  If there's traffic, and you cannot complete the turn without crunching a four-wheeler - STOP!  Just sit and wait for THEM to get out of your way.

If all this doesn't make sense, then have BK or his dad take you out for a little training.  I'd be careful about letting Dallas do it, tho.  He's only used to 35-foot rigs - your forty footer would spook him!    Grin   Cheesy   Grin   Cheesy

Enjoy your journey and your new toy!!

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 Now
Fresno CA
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 04:39:40 AM »

Hey, Russ! What about Me, poor little Cat, the only recent driver that poor little bus has known?  I'm the one that drove it into the pond to see if it would float, I'm the one that drives it across the tall grass in the field.  I am also the one that pets it every day and lets it know it isn't an orphan.  Why can't I be his teacher?  LOL Grin Roll Eyes Grin

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
Gary LaBombard
"Rustless Money Pit"

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2007, 08:35:18 AM »

Frank,
Good luck, look her over good now, I am enclosing a photo. I have no idea what it means, Hummmmmmm.. 

Have a safe trip, don't take one thing for granted, check everything possible every time you stop to rest, stay to the right and do double nickels all the way.

Gary

Gary
cody

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2007, 08:48:26 AM »

You'll have to make sure BK has all the fuel bills ready too, it's Franks bus, he should take care of the fuel bills that BK ran up while using the bus for those charters, and don't forget the towing bill and repair bills for the little problem when the engine blew, or the attorney fee's from the passengers that filed all those nasty lawsuits, it was unfortunate that the courts felt the bus owner was liable for those. lol
Dallas

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2007, 10:26:58 AM »

Cody, you forgot the invoices for those wreckers after the little pond jumping incident. And what about when that little old lady was crossing in front of it at the stoplight? who woulda thought that light could change so fast?

DF
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2007, 12:18:46 PM »

Hey, Russ! What about Me, poor little Cat, the only recent driver that poor little bus has known?  I'm the one that drove it into the pond to see if it would float, I'm the one that drives it across the tall grass in the field.  I am also the one that pets it every day and lets it know it isn't an orphan.  Why can't I be his teacher?  LOL Grin Roll Eyes Grin

Because, my dear, Frank would be too distracted by your delightful presence to concentrate on what he's doing - after all, you yourself know how slobbery guys get when there's a pretty lady around, don'tcha?   Grin Shocked Grin  Shocked Grin

Tongue firmly in cheek. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 Now
Fresno CA
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: