Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 11:02:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MCI-9 Transmission won't engage  (Read 33243 times)
captain ron

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2007, 07:19:36 PM »

If it was an ATEC the red light would come on telling him "DO NOT SHIFT" and he would have told us that, so most likely not ATEC
Sammy

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2007, 07:50:11 PM »

Bill, can you post a pic of your shift selector and one of the curbside of your trans?
This will allow all of us to lead you in the right direction, once we know for sure what kind of unit you have in your coach.  Cool
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2007, 07:50:22 PM »

If it was an ATEC the red light would come on telling him "DO NOT SHIFT" and he would have told us that, so most likely not ATEC

Yep.  The red "do not shift" light would light...so long as the ATEC fuse (or 12V B+) wasn't interrupted for whatever reason.   
You are probably correct in assuming Bill has an HT740.  But hey...before enlightenment, I thought you had an MUI...based on the year model of your bus?   Huh
A Stone-Bennett is an electric over air shifter...and I'd guess that either it's shifting electrically, but got the cruds...and stuck.   SBs can be a PITA when they age...just like me!   Moving it about may return it to a functional state..albeit for a short time...just like me!    Wink 
I like to make big SWAGs  when guessing at a problem!  Grin
Be interesting to see what's causing the non-shift thing.  Hope it ain't the transmission.

JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2007, 07:56:19 PM »

Guys,  I will crawl in the engine compartment in the morning, take requested photos and also look at the other items.

I had NO hint of trouble last time I move the bus.

Thanks for the help,

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2007, 08:08:50 PM »

JR,what if we are all wrong and this guy has something like a ZF tranny   
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2007, 05:46:42 AM »

The transmission is a HD 741 D. I see no shifter, no Bennett Box, and no air line.   I do see on the pass side a large connector, (control Cable) located just above the pan.
The control shifter located is on the right side of the driver seat.  The unit has square backlite buttons.  Has an Allison logo on it.

I've spray everything down and cleaned it.  If you still need photos, can do, after work.

As far as the dip stick, I'm guessing it doesn't have to go all the way into the oil pan.  Looks like the tube is connected near the bottom of the pan.   The tube would have the same level as the pan....  Still, will seek a new stick today.

Thanks for the help,

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2007, 06:10:49 AM »

Bill, i will try and e mail you a trouble shooting guide for that transmission i hope you don't have a major problem because that transmission stopped production in 1997 and parts will most likely have to be aftermarket
Sammy

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2007, 06:52:10 AM »

Bill, you have an ATEC transmission. Allison electronically controlled transmission. They have been around since at least 1983.
Since you say you had no indicator lights, I would check to see if you blew the power fuse for ATEC.
It should be located in the battery compartment, in a seperate single fuse holder.ATEC is a 12 volt system.
When you first turn on your dash master switch, the "DO NOT SHIFT" light on the shift pad and "CHECK TRANS" light on dash should come on and go off in 2 seconds.This lets you know the system is powered up.
Let us know what you find.
Sammy  Cool
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2007, 07:16:01 AM »

Sammy i wasn't saying the ATEC went away but 741 and 755 left 10 years ago
Sammy

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2007, 07:21:11 AM »

Makemine, no disrepect was intended. I agree with you, it's old technology.I happen to have an Allison ATEC manual dated 1983. Just wanted to give folks an idea of how long it's been around.
Again - no disrespect was or is intended at all. My apologies to you if you were offended.
Sammy
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2007, 07:30:08 AM »

The fuse, I do not believe is in the battery compartment.  Would have to be in the outside panel, driver side.  Isn't this system a 24vdc ?    Do not recall is "Do Not Shift" or any other warning light comes on.  I hit the start button and walk away, till the air builds up.   Will run home in a little while and look for the fuse and check the lights.

Thanks, Bill
1983  MCI-9

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2007, 07:45:28 AM »

Sammy in no way did you offend me I am new to this board and when I post i leave out about half the info and think people should know what I was talking about.I enjoy your post because of the accurate info you provide for people
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2007, 07:48:05 AM »

Okay guys, kiss and make up..... Grin

Back to my problem..... LOL

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
captain ron

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2007, 07:49:05 AM »

The ATEC like a DDEC is a 12 volt system that gets it's power from the vanner equalizer above your batteries. There is an inline fuse on the back side of the panel that holds your disconnect switch.
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2007, 07:59:03 AM »

Going home to check it now... Do you have a number that I can call you....?

Thanks,
Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: