Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 01:32:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MCI-9 Transmission won't engage  (Read 35519 times)
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2007, 08:44:41 AM »

I do not see a fuse or circuit breaker in the battery compartment.

The MCI manual Page 7-24, states that coaches with ATEC transmissions should have a 40-amp circuit breaker.

Nowwwww,,,, I wonder where they put the damn thing.

Also,  when I started the bus.  No warning lights came on.

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
captain ron

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2007, 09:07:10 AM »

If nobody else is helping you via phone call me I might be able to help locate the fuse for you but not a lot more. I do have ATEC tranny though and I'm at the bus. 239-292-1750 Ron
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2007, 02:17:55 PM »

Okay, now were getting somewhere...

In the driver side second bay, behind a drop down panel, I found the Transmisson Control.   Found a 24/12 VDC Converter, an Electronic Control Unit (ECU), three relays, (Check Transmission, Retarder, Reverse), three 5 amp fuses (all check okay with an ohm meter), a test light, test switch, (which doesn't seem to lite the test light), an hour meter, and a 5 stud block, with black wires on 1,2,3.

The first thing I need to determine is do I in fact have 12 vdc out of the converter.  Does anyone have a drawing of this, or the same unit?

Help,,,,, over my head, still...

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2007, 02:23:51 PM »

Then I start the engine   Roll Eyes

I now have that red light on (still in the bay), 26vdc on all 1,2,3 on the 5 stud block.  I believe I have 12 vdc out of the converter.

How do I test the ECU?

Do I see a light at the end of the tunnel?

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
Sammy

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2007, 06:33:56 PM »

Bill, make sure you have 12 volt output on terminals 4,5,6,7 of the 24 volt converter.
You are doing a fine job so far. You'll get to the end of the tunnel.
Here's a breakdown of what these wires do:
Term 4 - 12v for ECU memory
Term 5 - 12v Battery power to ECU
Term 6 - 12v Battery power to ECU and shift selector
Term 7 - 12v Battery power (switched) and to Term H of the data connector.
The Data Connector might be at bottom of shift tower, might have a spring loaded metal cover on it. This is where a ProLink will hook up.
Let us know your results.  Cool

Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2007, 06:38:49 PM »

Sammy,

Can you give me the voltages on the ECU connector. Would be easier to get probes on.

Thanks for help,

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2007, 07:35:16 PM »

Bill, has any work been done recently around the shift tower, or bus wiring? What did you work on from the time you parked the coach and the time you tried to move it?   
I've seen the cannon plugs fall out of the backside of the shift pad.  Also seen wiring disturbed and fail. It was about to fail anyway.   
That would not affect the voltage readings.  But a CEL for the transmission would set. 
If you are not getting a transmission light, something's not powered up. 
Sammy's going to get you fixed up!   
And Ron, Vanner recommends that nothing but the battery leads be attached to the Vanner terminals.  I doubt any harm would come from attaching leads to the Vanner, but it may confuse the Vanner causing an  overcharge condition on one of your batteries (the rear battery).   
The 12V source for your transmission is the center 12V post on the rear battery.  Same for the 12V headlight backup lead.
Sammy, if you're passing out your phone number I'd love to have it!!  You one smart guy!  My bus is gonna crap somewhere one of these days and I want someone that knows some  $#i+!    You know your stuff.  Very nice! 
Bill, feel free to call if you have a question regarding anything other than that ATEC transmission. I'll talk about that too, but I'm not versed on the unit as Sammy is.  I do ex-NJTs and that's all I understand.  DDEC and ATEC 748s.   That's it. 
I'd definitely want to know what fixes this thing.   Cheesy

JR
704 650 0235 anytime. 

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Sammy

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2007, 07:38:41 PM »

Bill, try this....
J2 connector (black one) of trans ECU:
Pin 3 -  wire 203 - 12v memory - fed by term 4 of converter - might be a red wire
Pin 8 - wire 208 - 12v battery power - fed by term 5 of converter - might be a Blk/Grn wire
Pin L - wire223a - 12v battery power - fed by term 6 of converter - might be a grey/Red wire
Pin 2 - wire 202a - 12v switched battery power - fed by term 7 of converter - might be a Red/White wire
I do not have a electrical diagram of your coach to see how Allison wiring integrates into it.
For instance: There is a switched 24v source of power going to Fuse 3 - a 5 amp fuse or breaker.
It then goes into the 24 v converter on term 3 - a 24v input.
It is the only switched 24v input - as per the Allison diagram.
Maybe it becomes the 12v output on term 7 of the converter - a switched 12v output.
Maybe it becomes wire 202a, on pin 2 of the J2 connector of the ECU, telling the ECU to turn on.
Diagram shows no internal wiring of 24v converter.
Let me know if you need a picture of J2 and pin locations.
Sammy  Cool

NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2007, 07:42:45 PM »

Sorry about all these  postings.  But Bill, do you have a kneeling valve on your bus?  Its a switch in the LH side dash on top.  Next to the air lock switch.  If you have a kneeler, the trans won't shift at all with the kneeling function is deployed.  
Just another thought!  
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2007, 08:27:15 PM »

JR,

Don't believe I have a kneeling switch, don't see anything like that.  Is there anything else that would prevent the transmission from engaging?

I do have a Step switch left of the dash. It is disconnected.

Not sure if this is connected to the problem, but I may not have Fast Idle anymore.  Really haven't been too concern with that, being as I don't seem to be going anywhere.   Cry

Thanks for all the help, everyone,

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
captain ron

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2007, 08:36:49 PM »

Do you have a DDEC engine? And does your motor stay running for a reasonable amount of time? The reason I'm asking is when you have a fault code the DDEC will not let the fast idle work and then will shut down your engine, might take ten minutes. I don't know if it works the same for your ATEC. You may want to get someone with a hand reader to check your tranny for fault codes.
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2007, 10:53:18 PM »

Before I get flamed - just as a pleasant reminder - disconnect the ATEC from its power source for a 10 minute period - when reconnected shift to neutral - if you can't get a neutral indication see ATEC trouble shooting  guide - HTH

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2007, 05:43:44 AM »

Sammy,

Pin     Volts
3         12v
8          0
L          0
2         26

Looks like the problem is with power to the ECU and shift selector.   Can you provide a point inside the converter box to double check voltage or,,,,, on the inside of the converter, looking at the back of the plug, what color wires may be pins 8 and L?

No work has been done since my last move, wiring or otherwise.

Engine not effected, engine will run more than 10 minutes.

HTH, Please explain diconnect ATEL from power source.  Could this act as a reset perhaps?  Where do I find an ATEC trouble shooting guide?

Thanks guys,

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2007, 05:54:35 AM »

Sammy,

Ooophs,,, "what color wires may be pins 8 and L?"  I know this..... and you did say you didn't have drawing of the converter.

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
Sammy

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2007, 06:00:55 AM »

Bill, go on the back of the converter, pins 5 and 6, see if you have an output.
Might have open circuit between converter and ECU.
Check battery cable connections - remove and clean all of them.
I need a diagram of your bus, will try without it , would possibly help.
I'll check back a little later...
You're doing great so far, really.
Sammy  Cool
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: