Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 06:48:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Air tank in AC bay has pin hole. :(  (Read 5586 times)
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 09:29:32 AM »

To take what Kyle is saying in another direction, if you have a tire at 100 PSI...calculate the total square inches in the inside of the tire and rim (A bunch!) and multiply by the total pounds per square inch (PSI) then imagine running over a nail and how much force is coming out of that tire in a few hundreths of a second...in that one place? 
SOmeone was talking about the old safety poster of the guy thats shoes were found a long way away.  There was a poster out in the late 70's, early 80's that showed the imprint of a mans body that was thrown to the ceiling when a split rim let go!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2007, 10:11:55 AM »

Thanx for the concern guys. But as I said earlier, I am the one you would take it to to get it fixed. I have done compressor tanks before as well as built and designed numerous other pneumatic machines.  I've welded aviation equiptment and things that roll down the Hyway. If it was for a nuclear facility I would bow out.
  I'm not sure if I should post my resume' for you to feel comfortable or not. But rest easy.

Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
Don4107

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2007, 10:18:39 AM »

I had an air tank rust through on the old bus.  Went to a truck salvage yard and they had a mountain of tanks and mounts.  Might find something very similar if not a perfect fit.

I did not need to find the same tank since I needed to relocate it anyway.  It was located where it was completely inaccessible hence the rust from never being drained.   

Don 4107 Eastern Washington
1975 MCI 5B
1966 GM PD 4107 for sale
1968 GMC Carpenter
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2007, 10:23:14 AM »

Hi Chaz, chill out, most of us knew you could do it...it's interesting to see the concern...and learn a few things to boot!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2007, 10:55:10 AM »

No chillin necessary, Jack. It's only in the 40's here right now.  Wink

I do appreciate the concern. Honestly. But I do have experience is this arena also. (details of pressure dynamics, etc. ..... no. Experience in welding, metal and metal fatigue,... yes.) And if I need to further explain myself for them to feel comfortable, I can do that.  I can give someone a whole plethora of things I have done, designed and fixed if it will help.
 My question was if there was anything I should know about taking the tank out. Welding it is in my area of expertise.
 I'm hoping my letters aren't making anyone feel that I am aggravated in anyway....... I'm not. But the "printed word" is NOT my forte'. So the lack of being able to convey my thoughts better may be misinterpreted. I try my best.
  For all the concern that has been shown, I just want to let people know, it's ok. If I wanted to "debate", there could/would be plenty I could write. But I don't. I just want them to put their fears at ease.
  And as far as
and learn a few things to boot!
I couldn't agree more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is the sheer beauty of this site!!!!

Appreciative,
        Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2007, 11:19:13 AM »

Chaz -

Are you talking about the air tank on the curb side above the batteries?  Or is the tank in the A/C condenser compartment?  I'm a little confused as to which tank you're talking about.

Obviously, before pulling the tank, you've got to make sure all the air is bled out of the coach.  After that, removing the tank should be pretty straight forward - or cattywampus, depending on the contortions required for access & removal.

Band-Aids not included, of course.  Grin

The idea of picking up another, newer tank at a HD truck boneyard is interesting to us "non-welders", but with you're experience, perhaps a moot point.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2007, 11:20:08 AM »

I'm sure most of us are capable of making intelligent informed decisions.   Shocked

I was not intending to insult anyones ability, well, not this time anyway.  Tongue

It is my intent to provide information so others can have a chance at the 'informed' part, especially when I see casual references to welding on corroded air tanks AND I know what some of the results have been when done in a hap-hazard manner.

I have learned lots from those that have posted here in the past & try to return the favor.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make 'em think.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
captain ron

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2007, 11:20:50 AM »

Ok you engineers get back in your locomotive and get this train back on track  Grin And be safe those things weigh a lot and don't stop too fast and if you ever need it welded Chaz is your man.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2007, 11:55:34 AM »

Ok you engineers get back in your locomotive and get this train back on track  Grin And be safe those things weigh a lot and don't stop too fast and if you ever need it welded Chaz is your man.

Train, somebody said train?

Maybe if Chaz was closer . . .

In the mean time, I'll stick with my buddy who is nuke & ASME pressure vessel certified   Cool  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2007, 12:04:38 PM »

Yep, that's the tank russ. It shouldn't be too difficult to get out....... I think ....... but it would have been easier before I did all the wiring.   Shocked Roll Eyes 
 I "think" there are 2 sides to it. At least that is what the weld around the middle would suggest to me. (could be wrong there) If that is in fact the case, I would assume a person would need a 2 sided tank also.  Huh Huh

Chaz

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2007, 06:15:38 PM »

Yep, that's the tank russ. It shouldn't be too difficult to get out....... I think ....... but it would have been easier before I did all the wiring.   Shocked Roll Eyes 
 I "think" there are 2 sides to it. At least that is what the weld around the middle would suggest to me. (could be wrong there) If that is in fact the case, I would assume a person would need a 2 sided tank also.  Huh Huh

Chaz

Chaz,
Russ mentioned 2 tanks which 1 is it? LOL!

notice I've kept my trap shut until now! LOL! I have complete faith in you & know that if the tank turns out to have bigger/more holes than are feasible to fix that you'll just build a new one from scratch! Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2007, 06:33:30 PM »

Opps, sorry BK.  Roll Eyes

It's the tank in the AC compartment, curbside.

I am definitely expecting more holes. I'm hoping I can clean it out and somehow see how bad it is. I may just go ahead and replace the bottom..... depends. It would be easier that way if I find that the bottom is in bad shape. I could just roll a piece of steel out on my roller, fit it and weld it.

Building a new one wouldn't be too tough, but i would probably opt for a different one at that point.  Undecided I just don't have the luxury of a bus bone yard around here. I do have some old argon tanks that would build a wicked tank (about 5/16" thick!!!) but I'm afraid my bus would list to the passenger side!  Grin Grin Grin

Chaz

gus

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2007, 07:10:36 PM »

If I had known last year that Chaz is a welding whiz I would have sent him my old wet tank to weld, then I wouldn't have had to go to ebay and jerry rig a slightly different tank. If my dry tank fails I'll do that because so far a replacement has been impossible to find. It is a pretty small tank and a very tight fit.

Grind was a bad choice of words, Actually I used a sanding disc. Even I know better than to use a grinder!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
gomer

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2007, 08:05:31 PM »

you guys might need some more larning.   When you can find a welding instructor in a class, he has to be certified not only to teach the class,but certigied by the state.  Now become friends with him or her[she is good looking too] and it won't cost you anything especially when you bring them bolts,nuts and things that they would buy for others.  Be nice to those that CAN be nice to YOU.  My story.  Oh btw 5'5 brunette and around 130 Grin

gomer Grin

as you slid down the banister of life,may the splnters point the other way
TRUST IN GOD ALWAYS. riverjordanmusic@aim.com
Gomer
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2007, 05:51:42 AM »

Send it Gus!!!
 I'm not sure what a wet tank is as opposed to a dry tank, but as long as it has nothing to do with "pool"  Tongue (as it were)  Cheesy I'll do it.

By the way, Rusty, my very good friend, sometimes employee and possibly future Hot Rod building partner IS my old College instructor for welding and metalurgy!!!!! So you are right on the money Gomer! But he ain't that good lookin.  Undecided  lol  But he IS and all around great guy!!! I can weld, but that guy can weld circles around me. We would do things that a local fortune 500 company couldn't find others to do.

Chaz

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: