Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 24, 2014, 01:13:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Air tank in AC bay has pin hole. :(  (Read 5007 times)
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2007, 08:45:57 AM »

Chaz -

I'm way jealous of your welding skills. . . shoot, I have trouble soldering and getting it right!  And don't even ask me to sweat together copper plumbing. . .

OTOH, I'm pretty darned good with "hot" glue and PVC pipe - especially if it's 2 inch stuff.

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2007, 09:36:24 AM »

Thanx Russ. When I was a kid, I always thought it would be cool to be able to weld as you could basically do/build almost anything. I didn't get to follow thru till I was 22. But so glad I did.

By the way, just make sure when you solder copper that you clean it mechanically (sand paper, steel wool, whatever) even if it's brand new and flux it good. I teach (past 12 years) metal sculpture and soldering to 8th graders. They can do it, so I got faith in you too!  Smiley

Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
gomer

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2007, 01:21:21 PM »

chaz.  I told them what I did on=line and they both laughed so hard I thought that they were going to pass out,  They did of course told me if there phone rang too much it would be my fault.LOL
I know of some buses here in central fl that have been parked so if anybody needs some stuff call me or e-mail me.
Thanks Gomer

as you slid down the banister of life,may the splnters point the other way
TRUST IN GOD ALWAYS. riverjordanmusic@aim.com
Gomer
gus

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2007, 05:40:44 PM »

Chaz,

I told you wrong, the wet tank is the new one I bought and the dry tank is the one probably rusting through also.

The wet tank is the first tank after the comp and the dry is the second one up front in my 4104. My dry tank is directly in front of the front axle and is pretty small. That is the one I expect to need repairs in the near future. The big problem in replacing it is the locations and sizes of the outlets and the really small size of the tank.

When it needs repairing I'll be calling on you!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2007, 07:44:23 PM »

I'll be here!!!!  Smiley
   Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2007, 04:18:40 PM »

Chaz, If you run into trouble with your tank I have 2 small alumium tanks and 1 steel tank from a Ford semi. If one would work you can have it for shipping.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2007, 07:55:27 AM »

Thanx Tom! I totally appreciate the heck out of it!!
 But, I think I'm fine.
  Thanx a bunch,
     Chaz

Jerry Liebler

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2007, 09:13:49 AM »

Chaz,
      I just re read this thread and it appears that it isn't or wasn't clear that that particular tank is actually TWO tanks.  It is divided into two completely separate tanks to allow water to more fully condense in the first compartment thus delivering dryer air to the second part.  You'll notice there are two drains connected to it. along with two inlets and outlets.  This brings up the possibility that you could have leaks develop in the partition between tanks which would be quite difficult to repair.  It might be a good idea to independently pressure test the segments before putting it back in.
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2007, 06:41:43 AM »

Thanx Jerry. I knew it was a "double tank" but not sure why.

But what I CAN tell you is........... the tank towards the rear (I'll call it the 1st tank) MAAAAAAN was it full of s......!!!!!!!!!!!! Nasty, stinky black sludge about the consistency of honey at 36 1/2 degrees!  Wink Grin lol YUCK!!! And a little water.
  I finally got it pulled last night and my hands still stink!! (can't pick my nose today!  Cry   Grin Grin Grin)
  The hole, actually there is another one forming too, looks like the work of electrolysis. I had to repair the same type holes on a water tower. It's interesting how the hole (s) almost "drill" right thru the metal. The rest of my tank seems to be very solid upon inspection.
  I also seen where the tank(s) were welded together and the fittings were brazed. I believe my fix will be TIGing in the holes with bronze. I will give it one more good inspection just to make sure.
  By the way, in case any of you are concerned about welding a tank that had flamable liquid in it, here is my method. I even do it for diesel fuel where some people don't feel it is necessary.
  In this case where there is oil that I need to get out, I first use mineral spirits to cut the stuff. Then I use GUNK, the engine cleaner, to cut the mineral spirits and what ever "stuff' is left. (GUNK is water soluble. Thats why I use it.) Then a little dawn dishwashing detergent and water. Weld it with a hose of argon (Inert gas) in it and then clean the water out. In this case I will use airline antifreeze and rinse it out.
  It may seem like more than some people do, but I hate those big LOUD noises!!  Wink Grin Grin ;Dlolol

Later guys,
     Chaz

Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2007, 11:58:31 AM »

Chaz,

I had a friend who used to repair automobile gas tanks, he just started another car and ran the hose with the exhaust in the tank and welded away.  He is still alive.  Was it luck or.....

Smiley

Frank

The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2007, 01:15:45 PM »

I know several guys who do that. Scares me to death!!!!! Shocked Shocked I suppose it does work well for some, but it's just not worth it to me. The argon takes the place of the exhaust. Reason for that is I can control it better and it doesn't stink as bad!!   Tongue   Grin
  I guess I like taking my chances in places where it might benefit me in some way.

Thanx Frank,
     Chaz

rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2007, 05:35:57 PM »

I have often heard the exhaust method and the fact folks live to tell about it.

It would be just my luck that the car furnishing the exhaust would be running rich and I would find out the hard way.  I have lots of other ways to do injury to myself.  Don't need to add to the list Grin.

Chaz, I really like your system.  Not everybody has argon available (unless they do TIG welding).  I wonder if nitrogen or CO2 would also work?  Might be easier to find.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2007, 03:50:29 PM »

Quote from: rv_safetyman
I have often heard the exhaust method and the fact folks live to tell about it.

It would be just my luck that the car furnishing the exhaust would be running rich and I would find out the hard way.  I have lots of other ways to do injury to myself.  Don't need to add to the list Grin.

Chaz, I really like your system.  Not everybody has argon available (unless they do TIG welding).  I wonder if nitrogen or CO2 would also work?  Might be easier to find.

Jim

Jim,
I disagree with the statement that not everybody has argon available! If they have a welder more than likely they are familar with the local welding supply house (whether it be Welder's Supply,AirGas, JimBob's or whatever!). These places sell far more than just welders, welding wire/rods, gloves, helments and etc. They also supply acetlyne, oxygen, argon, nitrogene and most any product needed in the welding profession and they do sell/rent small bottles of whatever a do it yourselfer might just need on a one time basis. It may not be commonly known that they do this, but the fact is the any thing you need is readily available from your local supply house if ya ask the right questions. FWIW! Grin  BK  Grin

Chaz, & Frank I'd never heard of the exhuast from another source trick. But I do remember more than once going with my dad & uncle to have the tank welded on their race car and watching the top of the racing fuel all the way just before "Old Man Trivett" would run my cousin and I off tell'n us "ya'll little varmits run out there an get behind that dirt pile on the far end of the lot, and whatever ya do don't be watch'n me while I'm weld'n 'cause it'll hurt your eyes!" Then dad and uncle fred would each grab a fire extingwisher and stand by as "Old Man Trivett" welded the tank up! And of course we always snuck up as close as we could without getting caught and watched! I never thought it was safe, but I know for a fact that they did it on our race cars (dad & uncle fred had a road racing team) several times & we were at his shop other times when he did it! He always insisted that it was topped off right before he started and would just jump in and weld it up, usually not wanting anyone close by!(but dad and uncle fred insisted on pretending to be firemen & stood by with extingisher). Of course now that I'm older and wiser I realize that dad and uncle freds efforts would have been fruitless as they'd probalby be knocked down or out by the blast had anything actually happened!

Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2007, 04:21:02 PM »

BK,
  I've heard those stories also. Man, that just scares the gum balls out of me! Even after all my "prepping" I still stand back, as best I can, and check it with a torch. I just don't want to go out that way or worse, live thru a bad one.
  By the way, it's done and worked fine. I put a new paint job on it and everything. (Rustoleum black hammered finish. I love that stuff.)

No "boom boom" again,  (pfeeeww) Roll Eyes
    Chaz

rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2007, 05:04:59 PM »

BK.  Yes, I am aware that they sell all the gases.  However, they will charge you for the gas, rental on the tank and you need a regulator/flow meter.  For nitrogen (need for my business) I just had to lay out about $300. 

You can get a tank for much less than that.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: