Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
May 23, 2018, 07:14:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solar "power plant" built into a small trailer  (Read 939 times)
Tenor

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2008, 02:42:45 PM »

Just saw this posting on the e-place and I thought it was pretty cool and wondered if anyone had seen or thought of doing something like this.  As many of us busnuts pull trailers, there's got to be many ways to adapt the idea.  This is not my listing and I have nothing to gain from it.  Just thought it was cool.

Here's the number: 170181755578

Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/THE-LITTLE-GREEN-MACHINE_W0QQitemZ170181755578QQihZ007QQcategoryZ50073QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
Tim Strommen
Electronics Geek

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 11:37:43 PM »

Hi Tenor (Glenn?),

I think it's a good idea, especially if you do a lot of boondocking in open areas (not a lot of obstructions like trees blocking the sun).  I'm considering something similar for the bus, but I want tracking to improve the power output of the panel (there are several designs for low-cost/low-energy trackers available).  It doesn't look like the e-place listing "product" has any kind of physical mounting for the panels when deployed, and the electrical looks like something a kid threw together (or someone using a lot of pot Wink).

[Tangent] I'm currently attempting the design of a voltage regulator which should be able to control the alternator on the prime-mover, a DC generator plant, shore power, AND a solar array input - but I'm talking to a CV-Transmission manufacturer to see if I can get one alternator to run from two engines (less weight, fewer parts) - so the design might get simpler [/Tangent]

I would like to have two arrays which I can "deploy" from an in-roof storage hold (to keep it stream-lined when moving). A 3-Degree-Of-Freedom platform (up/down - pitch and roll) should be enough to point the panels where they need to go - I can piggyback the serial GPS line to get Longitude/Latitude, time, and date - and use a cheap digital compass to know where to point them.

Personally, I'd avoid pulling another set of batteries in a trailer - but a High-Voltage or high current trailer to Bus tie would be good so that you can use the roof area for solar power.

Cheers!

-Tim

Fremont, CA
1984 Gillig Phantom 40/102
DD 6V92TA (MUI, 275HP) - Allison HT740
Conversion Progress: 10% (9-years invested, 30 to go Smiley)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: