Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 21, 2014, 06:46:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I HATE WINTER  (Read 3770 times)
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« on: November 27, 2007, 04:03:45 PM »

So the plan was that I was going to get up early, fire up the Aqua Hot, let it warm up while we had breakfast & then we were going to do the final packing for our departure tomorrow morning.  I didn’t get up all that early but it wasn’t late either, went out and flipped the thermostat up and listened.  I only have experience with one Aqua Hot but if they are all like this one its no problem to tell if they are running.  This one ROARS when it is running.  This morning it kind of mumbled.  Not good.

Sure enough it went through its start cycle a few times and then showed a start fault.  I buggered around with it until I got cold but no joy.  Did I mention – it was -30 or worse here this morning – I didn’t actually look at a thermometer until noon and it was only -22 then.  After breakfast and more buggering around I finally gave up on the Aqua Hot and plugged in the block heater.  I also dragged out my 75,000 BTU construction heater and stuffed it up against the rear bumper.  Then I went to town and bought some Melt and dumped that in the tank.  And I hooked up the boost charger & plugged in the battery blankets and put a magnetic heater on the pan.  The first rule of cold weather diesels is “always park the noisy end closest to the electric panel”. 

I managed to wait until about 12:30 and then gave it a shot of go juice in the little SS hole.  And the big 8-92 lit up first turn so that was the first good thing that had happened.  Then I thought I might as well try the Kubota cuz it had been getting all the waste heat off the construction heater.  And like all good Kubotas it lit up right away too.  So I let both the engines run for about an hour and then tried the Aqua Hot again.  Sure enough that time it started roaring too.

If you skipped ahead then you will know this story has a happy ending
(cuz the airbags are up)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 04:32:56 PM by bobofthenorth » Logged

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 04:11:10 PM »

sounds like the fuel was a little to thick. Well it's a whole lot warmer in Yuma. come on down  Jerry

1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 04:14:03 PM »

Hi BOTN,  as we all know it doesn't need to get much below freezing for diesel fuel to turn to jelly. Unfortunately, the fuel pump can't pump it, and the injectors can't inject it, and so on.

It seems that you found the right combination....HEAT and patience. And I really hate to mention that it was 81 degrees here in FL....sort of like rubbing salt in a wound isn't it? Wink Wink Wink

You DO have my complete and utter sympathies...I've coaxed many a cold diesel engine into running when they knew it was in their best interests to hibernate for the winter.

Bob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 04:34:41 PM »

That's precisely what I was afraid of Bob - that the miserable SOB was going to go into hibernation and trap me here with it.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
My website
Our weblog
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 04:37:11 PM »

It seems that you found the right combination....HEAT and patience. And I really hate to mention that it was 81 degrees here in FL....sort of like rubbing salt in a wound isn't it? Wink Wink Wink

Bob

That salt didn't even have that far to go to wound.  Are you really the grinch? Grin

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
Songman

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 04:49:02 PM »

My first thought when I saw this thread subject was "I miss winter!". Living for the past 5 years in California and suffering through 40 degree temps during the coldest nights of the season really makes me miss my Georgia and Tennessee homes. I even have a hard time getting into the Christmas spirit when there are people wearing shorts every day.

But after reading your post... I can see why you hate winter. Or especially trying to start a bus on an extremely cold winter morning. Oh wait! It's not even winter yet! It is still fall. Global warming has struck again!
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 05:03:28 PM »

BOTN and others,

I laughed....did I laugh.  Great post.

It sounds like you have a tournament assortment of "gadgets" and strategys to get things warmed up.  Who Knu?

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 05:05:48 PM »

John - you don't know the 1/2 of it.  I only had about half of the gear deployed.  Thought about the tiger torch but never got it out, I've got two more mag heaters - could have had one on each side of the pan

R.J.(Bob) Evans
My website
Our weblog
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 05:49:52 PM »

Yup.

No tournament around here.

Life and death due to weather, dear southern friends, is the Canadian way of life.

Every day, all winter long.

another cold Molson Canadian, anyone?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 05:52:40 PM »

Bob,

You might try #1 diesel if it is that cold or dilute the #2 with some kerosene or Jet fuel, perhaps???

I had issues with my Webasto last Christmas in that Denver blizzard, and I think that may have been one of my problems.  The other was too long of an exhaust pipe.  Unfortunately I had 130 gals of #2 diesel bought in south Texas in my genny and Webasto tank so I couldn't dilute it to try something else.   The Kubota genny ran ok on the fuel, but my understanding is the Webasto is very fussy about fuel and appropriate fuel pressure.

David
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 06:09:12 PM »

I bought fuel at the Pikes Peak Co-Op, and asked if they had any treatment to protect it to -25*. They said it wasn't necessary if that was as cold a temp as I expected to experience.

I have only tested it with my coach engine down to +10* so far, (successfully) but once I get my new ProHeat installation completed, I may have a chance to see if it will indeed protect my fuel down to the minus mid 20's.

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 08:55:56 PM »

Bob,

I am almost afraid to ask what a "Tiger Torch" is.  How many people does it take to "get it out"? 

You guys up there sure do seem to have a fascination with incendiary devices and products.  You must have been a hoot in the military.

Buswarrior,

I am sure it isn't a joke.  In the desert the locals always carry water.  In Fla. it is a snake bite kit.  Seems no matter where ya go it is always sumpin.  Now that Molson stuff is a real reason TO GO somewhere.  San Miguel is another and Lowenbrau speaks for itself but in German.

Here's to happier and warmer times.  I liked Canada...except for the border guard incident.  Whew!

Travel and be well, all.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 09:19:39 PM »

Songman  spend 2 winters in Russia like me before i retired and you can  get the Christmas spirit with the wearing of shorts I LOVE SCOTTSDALE AZ even in the summer heat it will take 2or3 years for me to thaw out
prevost82
82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed

82 Prevost Marathon XL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 09:34:43 PM »

Don't turn off the Aqua_Hot off until you hit the warm weather ... LOL. I thought you'd be gone by now BOB. It's only 0 C degs here ... not nearly as bad looking as your picture.
Don4107

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 09:52:36 PM »

Bob, I have a solution to your problem.  Just change your name to Bobofthesouth.   Then travel far enough south that you need that 50 amp service to keep cool instead of trying to keep things thawed! Smiley   Hope if I ever have problems getting my DD warm enough to start, someone as well equipped as you is near.  Wait, what am I saying, I don't ever want to be somewhere that cold ever again!!!!

I think you are right, I hate winter too.

Happy trails,

Don 4107

Don 4107 Eastern Washington
1975 MCI 5B
1966 GM PD 4107 for sale
1968 GMC Carpenter
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: