Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 07:33:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well, I'm back from the duluth but the bus is still there..:-[  (Read 1624 times)
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« on: November 28, 2007, 08:26:21 AM »

Basically i ran out of time.  And I know know everything takes a long time with buses.  I took it out for a shake down run, after doing a bunch of routine maintenance and some repairs that needed doing, and it runs just fine.  The surprises I ran into where mostly POs mess ups....
1. Only one running light functioning
2. R side mirror mount, 2 bolts sheared when I tried to remove them, (why would people use a mild steel bolt in an aluminum hole?)
3. Has developed a new air leak in I think the main brake valve (need to look this up in the parts book, it's either a levelling valve or the brake valve). 
4 Some idjit installed a rear wheel so that I can't get at the valve of the inside dual.
5.  The harbour freight 1" double hammer impact is not up to turning some of these wheel nuts.  I used a punk tank but I think I am goin to need 1" air line to make this work.
6.  The very long 17.5" x4.5" oil filter I have on my engine is not available at NAPA and ia a PITA to remove.
7.  The PO definatly did not do enough basic maintence.  DIF low 1.5 gallons, trans low 5 litres,
  and a whole mess of small electrical problems/gremlins... I'm starting to think I may need to repack the bearings before I take a long run....
My big mistake was spending any time on the electrical stuff.  Once I worked out the reverse and the engine kill switch I should have moved on to mechanical systems...but instead i rigged up marker lights, and interior lights so I could work.....this took too long and I ended up pressed for time. 
My time riding in Mexican buses has taught me a bit about shifting this beast.  I had no real trouble with the gear box (got lost between 1st and 2nd a couple of times fisrt time out).  A few months ago I posted pics of the weird skinner set up for the engine kill, and it is weird.  I worked it out though.   Basically on my bus someone is using a skinner that pressurizes when a circuit is opened (but it needs a + and - wire attached) when the circuit is opened the slave(?) of the skinner momentarily pushes the rack closed.  But only momentarily and if the push rod is not adjusted properly the engine just stumbles but does not stop.  also the marker light switch briefly became the engine kill switch??? but then that problem dissapeared (I hate problems that disappear they haunt me).
Basically it was a very busy time, I didn't have a helper as everyone cancelled last minute, but the bus is almost ready now.  I picked up a good used air tank in danville, and some other bits, next time out I will tame this beast and get it home.  Engine seems plenty strong, as long as the right gear is used.  After I adjusted the worm gear the brakes were  brilliant, very positive strong stop, pressure drops very little.  Contrary to comments about how useless the handbrake is, I adjusted it as per the book and it stopped the bus on a 4% grade from 30 (aprox) mph fairly aggressively.  I learnt a whole lot, but mostly I learnt that this thing is huge and I will not run it untill I have sorted all brake/air issues.
 I made some run up ramps using pine 2 X 10s  staggered at 6" intervals, glued and nailed,very easy to drive up, they are 48" long  and the last 2 layers are removable so that they can get under the bus if the there is a flat.  These were very quick to make, maybe a littler long for some, but I like the length as unassisted I don't have to woryy about driving off them.
I had fun, wish that the bus was here but it's safe where it is and can wait for the spring.  As I organize my mind a little I will post some pertinant questions, I was way too busy/dirty to take pics.  Ciao, Patrick.

superpickle

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 08:51:41 AM »

Shocked  WHAT, no Pics.. BAN HIMMMM 

LOL..  Enjoyed your tail of adventure/whoew.. woew .. wahoew.... feeling bad ? hehehe
Sounds like you had a fun time anyway..
Geeez your Tranny was THAT LOW  Shocked Holy crap..
A wonder it didnt over heat..

next time.. GET SOME PICS ! we dont care if your Tired (whine whine) or DIRTY (snivel  snivel)
hehehe

Cheers.. Paul...  Grin

Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 03:36:48 PM »

Patrick,

Sounds like you had a very productive visit with your future jewel.

Its good to get everything you can working before you get on the road, especially those lights, marker, etc...

You never know when a day trip will turn into a night one, even just getting it home....Trust Me!

Best of Luck

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 03:47:02 PM »

Old BusNut Proverb  "Better To Work On Bus In Lot, Than Along Road"     Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
edroelle

1998 Royale Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 04:44:19 PM »

I think I saw that proverb in a fortune cookie !!

Ed Roelle
Flint, MI
gus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 06:28:09 PM »

ZZ,

You probably did this already but be sure you're turning the lug nuts the correct direction if yours has L & R threads.

A 1" air wrench should loosen almost anything!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
zubzub

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 01:20:27 AM »

Thanks for the reminder, amazingly I did remembered that the left side nuts turned right to loosen, but I was surprised that I had remembered!   I thought the 1" should have done it as well, I believe I oiled it with too heavy an oil and the cold was hanging up the mechanism.  It worked great when it was warm, but when it's 30 out big metal things don't saty warm long.

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 01:39:28 AM »

Patric,

Your post was a great read.  Thank you for that.

An impact will go "soft" even in warm weather using the correct oil if you use a lot.  Mine has been "abused" that way a couple of times by me.  Curious thing is it took sooooo long to get it hammering at full gallop. A little to much oil acts like a mini shock absorber and ruins the plot is my take.  If you aren't using at least 1/2 inch hose, and using 110 pounds at that, you are way off its torque speck.  You need bigger fittings and hose all the way through then 90 psi will work.

Again, thanks for the post,

John 

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 04:45:03 AM »

I've given up, I quit, never again. No more 22 foot pipes on 1 inch breaker bars, no more 500 horsepowere compressors on 3 inch  double earthquke impact wrenchs. From now on if its gonna be tough, its the angle grinder. So you ruin the nut, big deal. A nut costs $1-2 what is your back and time worth??
                                                                                 HTH Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
zubzub

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 04:12:13 PM »

That's what I did in Danville, I wanted the tie rod ends, the nuts would not move.  SLiced throught them, hit em with a cold chisel, spun right off.

Debbie

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 06:31:35 PM »

your bus is in Duluth, .......Minnesota??
zubzub

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 06:59:28 PM »

Duluth MN, just waiting for me to have the time to go get it.  Third time is the charm.  Why do you ask?

gus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 08:13:00 PM »

A nutcracker is even better, you don't run the risk of grinding into the stud threads and all you need is the cracker and a wrench to turn it.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: