Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 20, 2014, 03:27:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OHTSU Tires  (Read 4106 times)
Joebus

1978 MCI Mc8

Ignore
« on: November 29, 2007, 07:12:43 AM »

Has anyone used OHTSU tires? I need to replace my "cracked sidewall" drives. We are in Florence Sc and a local dealer has priced these tires. They are model R-1200 Highway service radials 12R 22.5.
Supposedly equal to Goodyear G149
Looking at $1600.00 for 4 (installed and balanced)

Joe Beleskey ,Stroud Ont. 50 Miles north of Toronto
1977 MC8, 8V71T, Auto
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 07:13:43 AM »

How do you even pronounce that?   Cheesy  (sorry, I couldn't resist)
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 08:03:50 AM »

I've never dealt with, or even called this guy, but you might call him for a price comparison as he handles Ohtsu tires and advertises wholesale prices.

http://tires.hypermart.net/ohtsu.html

I've never used highway tires from Ohtsu, nor even talked to anyone with them, but have been using their ATV tires for years without any problems. They are great ATV tires. They used to come as factory equipment on Honda ATV's.

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 08:04:53 AM »

That is an excellent price for tires.  I had Michelin XZE 11R-22.5 16 ply (6) installed for $2,900.

Also, this 12R-22.5 is the only tire Ohtsu carries in this one model out of all of their 15 models of tires.  Proof that the 12R-22.5 is a tire size that is on the way out in favor of the 315/80R-22.5 metric size.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 08:12:43 AM »

JOE thats a good price for a Japan made tire. I have a friend that has used them on his redi mix concrete trucks sinice the late 70s and swears by them
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 08:28:56 AM »

If you will look at the charts on the link I provided in my first post the 12.00 R 22.5 requires a 9" rim instead of the more common 8.25" bus rims.

I would ask the tire dealer what complications you might encounter if your rims are 8.25".

Years ago, when I big into 4 wheel drives and big tires, there were complications with undersized rims. If I remember right it only caused uneven tire wear. (premature)

I personally would buy Japanese tires, I just wont buy Chinese made tires.

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 09:27:05 AM »

no experience but around central PA that would not be a great price.

I got firestones mounted and ballanced for 250.00 each and goodyears were just a tad over 300.00...the michilins were in the 450.00 per range
Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 02:54:33 PM »

I have run the OHTSU tires on a MH and worked just fine. If the MCI specs for 12R22.5 tires to mounted on 8>25 " rims why would this be wrong? Jerry

1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 04:04:58 PM »

it's not wrong
cpschevy

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 04:29:30 PM »

Hey i got those exact tires for mine but i paid $1800 for 6 at Les Schwab about 8 months ago. Also put some on our dump truck 2 years ago and they seem to be wearing good.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 09:26:26 PM »

I'm bringing back this old post to pass on some information even though I do not know the value of it.  I have four Ohtsu tires on the rear of the bus.  I had them all off when we were doing the brake work this week.  I knew that they were cracking on the outside around the tread.  Even though the tires seem to be from 2000, I assumed the problem to be that they were just sitting in the sun too long.  However, when we removed the tires, they were found to have much more severe cracking on the sidewalls on the inside of the tires.  I do not know if this was a maintenance issue or what, but it is severe enough to warrant changing all four before any serious drive.  I don't think that I would buy Ohtsu to replace them.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 11:04:23 PM »

Lin,

I thought the tires were only good for 5 years.  I know some have gone longer...talking spec here and safety.  After 8 years all my truck tires are cracked and replaced before then.

I agree that the price isn't very good.  Michelins cost $550 and those others run $400?  I would go with the Michelin any day.  I haven't had good luck with Michelin's...I have had extremely good service /performance/longevity from that brand and I only get away from it for money reasons.  I think if you shop you will find better prices than you have so far.

Give some thought to moving to 24.5 or better still the metric equal to that size.  Do the aluminum rims while you are at it.  It is fun spending your money.

HTH,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 11:06:16 PM »

thats very high for a chinese/korean tire
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 06:52:12 AM »

If, you buy the Japan made OHTSU tire its my understanding that it is a very good tire but at a higher price
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 06:56:45 AM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 09:02:03 AM »

It looks like this is another important thing that I have been unaware of.  Is the 5 year limit on tires a DOT thing or is it just what is recommended?  I have always just used condition to determine if they needed changing. 

You don't have to believe everything you think.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 10:07:56 AM »

It looks like this is another important thing that I have been unaware of.  Is the 5 year limit on tires a DOT thing or is it just what is recommended?  I have always just used condition to determine if they needed changing. 

There are many things that you will have to include when considering tire replacement based on age.

The 5 year rule is usually a conservative number. Most will last longer, but some don't make it that long. (A friend has 20+ year old tires on his bus & they still look & act OK, another friend (retired bus & truck mechanic) had a blow out on a 4 year old tire that was properly inflated & looked new.)

Aside from tread wear, there are many things that can influence actual usefull life of a tire:
- working environment
- storage environment
- abuse (over loaded, under inflated, curb damage, etc)
- length of non-use (rubber needs to be 'exercised' to keep the plasticisers where they are needed)

If not abused & used regularly, they can last much longer than 5 years.

How will an unexpected tire failure affect you?
Personally, I'll do all I can to have as fresh tires as I can.
I had 2 valve stems fail while camping & that was inconvenient to say the least, & yea I had a good spare . . . . but when 2 fail at the same time . . . .

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2007, 01:12:40 PM »

"thats very high for a chinese/korean tire"

My Michelins have no place of manufacture stamped on them so I guess they could be made in China - or Mexico

Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007, 01:15:05 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: