Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 10:45:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OHTSU Tires  (Read 4221 times)
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 10:07:56 AM »

It looks like this is another important thing that I have been unaware of.  Is the 5 year limit on tires a DOT thing or is it just what is recommended?  I have always just used condition to determine if they needed changing. 

There are many things that you will have to include when considering tire replacement based on age.

The 5 year rule is usually a conservative number. Most will last longer, but some don't make it that long. (A friend has 20+ year old tires on his bus & they still look & act OK, another friend (retired bus & truck mechanic) had a blow out on a 4 year old tire that was properly inflated & looked new.)

Aside from tread wear, there are many things that can influence actual usefull life of a tire:
- working environment
- storage environment
- abuse (over loaded, under inflated, curb damage, etc)
- length of non-use (rubber needs to be 'exercised' to keep the plasticisers where they are needed)

If not abused & used regularly, they can last much longer than 5 years.

How will an unexpected tire failure affect you?
Personally, I'll do all I can to have as fresh tires as I can.
I had 2 valve stems fail while camping & that was inconvenient to say the least, & yea I had a good spare . . . . but when 2 fail at the same time . . . .

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2007, 01:12:40 PM »

"thats very high for a chinese/korean tire"

My Michelins have no place of manufacture stamped on them so I guess they could be made in China - or Mexico

Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007, 01:15:05 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: