Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 19, 2014, 12:08:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OHTSU Tires  (Read 3851 times)
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 10:07:56 AM »

It looks like this is another important thing that I have been unaware of.  Is the 5 year limit on tires a DOT thing or is it just what is recommended?  I have always just used condition to determine if they needed changing. 

There are many things that you will have to include when considering tire replacement based on age.

The 5 year rule is usually a conservative number. Most will last longer, but some don't make it that long. (A friend has 20+ year old tires on his bus & they still look & act OK, another friend (retired bus & truck mechanic) had a blow out on a 4 year old tire that was properly inflated & looked new.)

Aside from tread wear, there are many things that can influence actual usefull life of a tire:
- working environment
- storage environment
- abuse (over loaded, under inflated, curb damage, etc)
- length of non-use (rubber needs to be 'exercised' to keep the plasticisers where they are needed)

If not abused & used regularly, they can last much longer than 5 years.

How will an unexpected tire failure affect you?
Personally, I'll do all I can to have as fresh tires as I can.
I had 2 valve stems fail while camping & that was inconvenient to say the least, & yea I had a good spare . . . . but when 2 fail at the same time . . . .

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2007, 01:12:40 PM »

"thats very high for a chinese/korean tire"

My Michelins have no place of manufacture stamped on them so I guess they could be made in China - or Mexico

Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007, 01:15:05 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: