Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 03, 2014, 12:09:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you think of this drive train?  (Read 1236 times)
Calumet

Ignore
« on: November 30, 2007, 07:19:42 AM »

Hi,

Regarding the coach I just bought (go easy on me since I OWN it now :-)
I just found out from HME how the chassis was delivered to Calumet Coach...
Cummins 6B 5.9 230 HP at 2500 RPM with charger and cooler
Allison MD3060 transmission 5 speed automatic
Rockwell rear axle (5.86 ratio on rear drive axle medium speed)
Rockwell front
Hendrickson rear suspension HA400 34,000 lb

I was surprised at the engine size as I "guessed" a commercial vehicle with a 34,000 GVW would have more power but I'm hoping it will do OK with that transmission.  I wonder how it's going to drive?  I think you can put Banks Power on that motor - any opinions?  I probably won't repower it - not for a while at least - as long as it gets me from here to there I'm happy - but I think this is going to be even slower than my old 8V71.  I probably still would have bought it knowing the engine size because of the slide outs, lift gate, hydrolic levelors, electronics and genset that comes with it.

www.calumetcoach.info/pics
Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 07:35:48 AM »

I had a 96 allegro bus with the B5.9 230 in it and it only grossed at 20000 lbs and was great on fuel but a dog once you hooked a toad to it. I had the mech injector pump so gat a torqe  plate and larger inectors and did away with the waste gate on the turbo. made a big difference as the power went to 380 HP. Only problem the cooling wasn't big enough in hot weather. worked great in cool weather. Jerry

1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 08:10:56 AM »

Check the transmission input ratings. You wouldn't want to toast it with too much of a power upgrade  Cry

With a turbo, it shouldn't suffer altitude problems as a 8v71na would.

enjoy your new toy  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 08:14:38 AM »

I looked at all the pictures.  Looks like you have a workable vehicle (can't quite call it a bus).  It appears that it was in the snow country with the rust I saw.  Personally, I would remove the roll up door, strip the interior down to the frame to take care of any rust problems (and I bet there are).  Thankfully you have a great transmission in there.  You can have the MD3060 reprogrammed to a six speed since now the med van has a geared top speed of 75 mph, but maybe you'd want the sixth gear for a little better fuel mileage.  The 5.9 should be run around 2100 rpm at cruise speed.  So know your speed at 2100 would be 57mph.  With 6th activated, you'll get 66 mph at 2100 which would be perfect.

The 5.9 can be pumped up a bit.  The new Cummins 6.7 (same basic block) has a factory rating of 350hp and 750lb/ft torque, so close to that should be attainable.  Call Banks Engineering in Azusa, Ca for advice on what to do.  Also, you might want to rebuild the transmission dash shifter.  The MD3060 has a rating of 280hp and 800lb/ft torque for truck use, and 330hp and 930lb/ft for RV use-so I don't think you'll come close to its' rating even with pumping up the 5.9.

As to the Hendrickson suspension in the back, if it is the walking beam with big spring supporting it, you'll find it is VERY stiff.  Hendrickson makes a conversion kit that keeps the walking beam but converts the big spring to a trailing arm with two air bags per side-highly recommend it.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 08:17:14 AM »

No problem with a 3060 Allision they were used on the 6v92 on some RVs
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 08:20:48 AM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
OLD SCHOOL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 10:12:39 AM »

how bout this drive train,440 727 trans everything else is 1958 gm v drive on forward?
Dallas

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 10:32:56 AM »

how bout this drive train,440 727 trans everything else is 1958 gm v drive on forward?

Personally, I'd stick with a diesel engine, but that is an interesting setup.

What kind of gas mileage do you get?

How did they accomplish the direction change at the end of the driveshaft to meet the angle of the rear end? Did they turn the rear end over so that the angle drive is going the other direction? What kind of angle drive did they use at the end of the transmission?

A while back I was lucky enough to see an Old Look GMC with a T-drive using a 5.9 Cummins and an Allison auto. That might be the next step you look for an upgrade.

Dallas
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 03:37:46 PM »

That 440 will move you down the road, a bit slow up the hills since it only puts out about 400lb/ft of torque (about like a 4-71N Detroit).  And your fuel mileage would probably be in the 3-5mpg range.  Personally, I'd find a crashed Dodge pickup with a 6.7 liter Cummins and automatic since they put out 610lb/ft torque, and would get around 10mpg.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: