Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 03:56:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Useful part  (Read 3449 times)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« on: December 09, 2007, 06:23:13 PM »

For some reason the MC-5a I just got did not have a dash high beam indicator light, so I wired to install one.  I was having trouble finding an acceptable 24 volt light to use and I've had a 12 volt one around for years.  I don't know about you guys, but if I can use something I've had around for 20+ years, even if it's a dollar part, I feel good about it.  It sort of justifies saving all the junk I have.  Anyway, Radio Shack has a $1.50 part they call a "voltage regulator" that reduces any input up to (I think) 50 volts down to 12v.  I just installed it and it works so far.  Seems to me that it could be a useful part around the bus.  Only problem is that it is rated up to 1 amp.  I don't know if they have higher rated ones.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
prevost82
82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed

82 Prevost Marathon XL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 06:33:28 PM »

Most automotive store (NAPA) will have 24V to 12V converter.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 07:07:32 PM »

Am I right in guessing that a 24v to 12v converter is a small step-down transformer?  This "Voltage Regulator" part is only about 1/2 square not including the leads.  This one is only good for one, tiny dedicate application.  I am guessing the 24/12 converter you mention is bigger, but can be used for a bit more serious labor.

gus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 07:26:54 PM »

Lin,

An easy to go down to 12v from 24v is to wire two 12v bulbs in series. You can't use two bulbs is some applications but you can in most.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Brassman

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 07:31:28 PM »

One simple part to drop the voltage is a resistor. That is why somebody previously said to put put two 12 volt lamps in series.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 07:58:32 PM »

Actually, I went to Radio Shack to buy a resistor for this.  I do not know much about them, and the salesperson did not seem to able to tell me which one I needed.  This part works with different voltage inputs but outputs my beloved 12v, so I got it.  Like a resistor it has an input and output lead, but it has a third going to ground.  No big deal, but something that is useful for the right app.

gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 08:29:26 PM »

For the same $1.50, you could have purchased an LED, mount, and resistor and wired that into 24v, and never had to change
it again.

If you had the opportunity to salvage one from an old computer or electronics item, it would have only cost you the resistor and maybe the mount.

If you'd posted here first, I'd have mailed you a couple LEDs and resistors for free. You'd still have to buy a mount, though.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 09:49:29 PM »

Oh well, the LED's would have been better, but I wouldn't have had the pleasure of using the light I've had in a parts box for over 20 years.  However, I completely expect that it will fail soon, and I will ask you about the LED's then.  Maybe it will fit in this fixture.  Thanks

gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 05:11:29 AM »

Oh well, the LED's would have been better, but I wouldn't have had the pleasure of using the light I've had in a parts box for over 20 years.  However, I completely expect that it will fail soon, and I will ask you about the LED's then.  Maybe it will fit in this fixture.  Thanks

I've converted most of my dash lights and tell tale lights to led by breaking out the glass from the old bulb and soldering in a resistor
and led in the old metal bulb housing. No wiring changes needed. Some Tell tale lights can't be converted because the circuit needs the bulb's
resistance to make it work.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 05:31:25 AM »

Gumpy,

Please school me.  If you are putting a resistor in line with the led anyway, why can't you match the resistance the bulb would have provided?  Expiring minds want to know........

Thanks

Frank

The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8
MCI Courier

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 06:28:26 AM »

Hi Lin,

On my MCI Courier, that small light in the centre of the cluster of warning lights is my high beam indicator. I'm pretty sure that it's original as I haven't seen any other place for one.

Pete
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 06:29:44 AM »

It should have one stock....bulb is probably just out
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 06:30:26 AM »

check your maint. parts or operators manual for location
Dallas

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 07:44:36 AM »

I use to have a useful part, but Cat says I don't anymore.
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 08:28:43 AM »

I use to have a useful part, but Cat says I don't anymore.

Well, you know what they say about 'use it or lose it'...
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: