Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 04:23:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My new ramps...  (Read 4156 times)
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2006, 11:00:20 PM »

We use modified wheel risers where I work. We buy the aluminum ones and add stops to the ends. For those with the money, check out these links:

http://www.tseq.com/products/ldsol/wheel_risers.htm

http://www.ptwheelrisers.com/

Or Google “wheel risers”

The aluminum ones can be carried but you can add casters to the ends and roll them around like a wheel barrel. If I can get the time I will try to post pics of the ones from work.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2006, 10:52:56 PM »

This is what I was talking about. The ramps are U.S. Ramps from McMaster Carr. I added the stops and the casters. The casters make it very easy to roll around and I don’t have to go looking for a dolly. Even though they are aluminum I wouldn’t want to carry them any distance, they can get nasty dirty.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 10:54:41 PM by Barn Owl » Logged

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2006, 11:31:38 PM »

Nice ramps there Barn Owl! A lot more convient than my old ones I still have and use sometimes! But most times I use the pit that has spoiled me so! BK!

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Ace

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2006, 05:32:15 AM »

Barn E nice ramps you got there at the shop but after checking the prices from MC, at about 350 bucks EACH I'll stick to the good ole soild wood ones!  Wink

Ace
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2006, 10:21:22 PM »

We use modified wheel risers where I work.

Those ramps will never get to see the underside of a bus. I work for a very large package delivery company (the brown one) and one thing brown won’t do for you is to let you borrow any of their tools. I do not have a set of ramps yet; I am trying to figure out what type of ramps I want to build. It will most likely be wooden. I am also contemplating digging a very long “foxhole” (no, I’m not kidding) that I could slither into and use as a quasi pit until I can dig the real thing.

pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2006, 11:21:23 PM »

I don't know why those aluminum ramps should be so heavy; I suppose it must be the safety factor. George Lowry let me use his once; I thought that they were pretty heavy, as well.

Our solid laminated douglas fir ramps are under half the weight of the same length aluminum ones. And because they're laminated with the layers on different angles, I don't halve the slightest worry about them carrying any load that I will ever put on them.

I have heard from a commercial fisherman that aluminum trolling poles are heavier than wood ones, too.

Tom Caffrey
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 11:23:01 PM by pvcces » Logged

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: