Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 11:59:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MCI Replacement windows  (Read 3485 times)
travelingfools

Ignore
« on: December 11, 2007, 06:56:10 AM »

Got this info today..thought I'd pass it on..HTH

Thank you for your interest in the Peninsula Glass Co.  We look forward to enhancing your bus conversion experience by making sure you are fitted with the very best windows sold in the world.  With over 30 years of experience in the industry, our reputation as the leader in quality is unmistakable. The side windows we offer for your MC-9 are replacement inserts™ for original equipment windows.  For this application, do not discard your original windows; your original window frame will be necessary for installation (see installation attachment details). These windows are available in either single or dual pane sliders with screens—prices below:

MC-9 Driver Window (pictured attached)

Single Pane T-Slider-$292.00

Dual Pane T-Slider-$375.00

MC-9 Entry Door Window (pictured attached)

Single Pane Half Slider-$292.00

MC-9 Side Window Insert

Single Pane Half Slider-$280.00

Dual Pane Half Slider-$418.00

Sincerely,

Jeff Kemp

Director of Sales & Marketing

Peninsula Glass Co.—Motion Windows Division  

6005 N.E. 121st Avenue

Vancouver, Washington  98682-5806

Phone: 360-892-2029 ext. 204

Fax: 360-213-1274

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
Devin & Amy
FMCA#377731

1980 MC9 8v71 4spd man. Fulltiming family of 6

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 04:20:26 PM »

We have seven, and would highly recommend the dual pane. Just take time when installing. Scaffold recommended.
Devin

Devin, Amy, and the kids!!
Happily Bussin'!!
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 06:35:29 PM »

Amen!  I've got 7 dual pane and a drivers slider from Pen windows.   One of the best conversion items.
When you order windows, keep in mind that they cannot be "flipped" over.  You have to order LH for LH and RH for RH sides.   
The windows are best bought as a group.  They are less expensive that way. 
The windows would be the last item, IMHO, due to the possibility of breaking one. 
They are a PITA to install...not technically challenging, just a lot of work.  The Pen windows fit into the old frames.  But you must cut about a half inch all the way around, then drill retaining screws holes in the old window frames.
Takes about 45 minutes of aggressive work to do one window. 
Still a great addition.  The windows work flawlessly.  Very smooth opening and quiet on the road. 
Cheers, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 08:39:51 PM »

Got 6 for my 5A in 2004 , dual pane, darkest tint, installed at the factory. Still look/work great. Great people to deal with and one of the best buys for my bus.  Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
prevost82
82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed

82 Prevost Marathon XL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 09:20:42 PM »

Another vote dual pane, dark tint windows, got 9.
Ron
travelingfools

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 05:14:58 AM »

Sounds like some satisfied folks..thats good to know that my dollor will be going towards a test proven product !

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 05:42:15 AM »

Aren't these 'inserts' just as likely to leak as the originals?  I'm wondering, as several of the frames on my 8 are split at the corner and leaked, although I have sealed them with poly sealer.  By frame I mean the part that's attached to the bus with the part holding the glass being the sash.  How does one keep the sashes from leaking in the frames?  I guess enough sealer would take care of that, but I'd like to keep one operable (swinging upwards), as it's the easiest way to get large or long items in the bus.  MC-9 windows look entirely different and probably don't have this issue.  I like the big windows in the front of the bus, but at some point I'll install slightly smaller windows in the back, since those are sloped and extend slightly past the head of the bed.

David
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 07:31:41 PM »

Aren't these 'inserts' just as likely to leak as the originals?  I'm wondering, as several of the frames on my 8 are split at the corner and leaked, although I have sealed them with poly sealer.  By frame I mean the part that's attached to the bus with the part holding the glass being the sash.  How does one keep the sashes from leaking in the frames?  I guess enough sealer would take care of that, but I'd like to keep one operable (swinging upwards), as it's the easiest way to get large or long items in the bus.  MC-9 windows look entirely different and probably don't have this issue.  I like the big windows in the front of the bus, but at some point I'll install slightly smaller windows in the back, since those are sloped and extend slightly past the head of the bed.

David

David, you could skin the sides of your bus and use identical windows (or slightly larger) designed for RV frames.  Create a large flat area, and saw out the openings.  RV windows attach to any flat surface. Pen will make them in any shape and size (almost) you may want.
My MC9 doesn't have any side window leaks...or cracks in anything...the front windshields give me all the leaks I can handle!  Angry   
If the aluminum frame that's riveted in place is cracked, that will have to be replaced.  The Pen replacement fits inside the factory 'swing-out' frame.  You'll retain the escape feature using the OEM frames.  The windows don't mount into the body frame. 
My latches are still in place, and are moveable, but oak trim covers the area. 
The upside to using the factory windows is that by pulling to pins, the window frames can be removed and the Pen windows installed on a bench.  Then replaced as a unit. 
A completed window will weight about 50 lbs.  Pen dual pane units are heavy. 
Sorry for hijacking this thread...but at least we're still on the same subject!  Wink

JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 07:59:33 PM »

Guys,

I talked to Pen a while back.  I wanted to know if they sold double pane glass for a replacement for the stock glass.  They said "NO" and they didn't equivocate.  I don't want sliders in all my windows.  Some I want to keep stock but I want the 2 panes/per.  Has anyone found a source for double pane glass?  I like the look of the dark glass but I think that "e" glass that has a gold mirror look lets in more light and also reflects away more heat.  Or is the dark glass soperior now?

Thanks,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 05:34:21 AM »

John, check the recyclers.  Dual pane OEM MC9 windows are pretty common.  They were offered in dark tint and clear. 
With complete units, they are quite easy to change out.
JR   

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 08:04:25 PM »

JR,

Thanks!

I have a plan, now.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: