Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 04:54:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Home Made Central Vac  (Read 3471 times)
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 12:53:03 PM »

I have had a central vac in a house before and I can see the space benefit in a bus, but I have never found straight suction to be as good as a unit with a beater.  Do you find these to be good enough?

My central vac (in the house) has a motorized beater bar.  I honestly can't tell you if it's as effective as a good upright, as I haven't installed it.  The bus has taken priority over lots of other projects!

David
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 01:51:57 PM »

Ron,

Don't forget to add the floor level dust pan  door.

Just sweep it to the opening and it sucks it in.

For those times when a quick sweep will do.

I put my one inlet and the floor opening in the center of the bus.

It came with the longggggggggg whole house hose, but I may look into on like Nick has for storage and handling purposes.  Wink

Main thing is, get in the plumbing and wires in, a little shop vac would really work for the bus and with the exhaust out of the living compartment you will really cut down on the dust etc from a regular unit.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 02:13:20 PM »

Hey...great idea!  Nothin' much to offer, except (again?) use sweeps and don't forget the clean-outs, like with a house's septic/sewer pipe system.  Who knows what you may end up sucking up, getting stuck and later you may really want to remove, like dirty socks, greenbacks, dead insects, mice, rats (big un's too!) missing small pets and stuff like that.  Nice having a remote/QUIET super vacuum system.  Smiley Smiley Smiley
captain ron

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007, 03:18:36 PM »

I don't have any carpet in my bus at all and don't plan on it but I do have a small dirt devil with a beater bar that I use to clean my futon. I want the central vac cause I work in my bus a  lot and it's a lot easier to just flip a swich than dig out a shop vac and not put it away for 2 weeks and stumbling over it and cussing. I would like to find the soft fabric hose like on an old Kirby so it doesn't beat up the corners of cabinets. I have a 24 inch wide base cabinet that I have not put a toe kick plate in yet so I will make that my storage for the hose. One big question is, will using bigger pvc hose cut down on the velocity of the system or should I stay with the same diameter? The dust pans will be built in at floor level so all I have to do is sweep it into it. I'm going to locate the vac where I can get to it to use the blower attachment to dry my bike if and when I ever wash it  Grin.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2007, 12:52:11 AM »

Guys,

I must have lived a sheltered life...never heard of dust pans except the ones you sweep into and then empty.  Sounds like you have a vac opening on the floor that you can open to suck the sweepings into the vac.  Right?  Got a pic?

Thanks

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2007, 05:22:43 AM »

Guys,

I must have lived a sheltered life...never heard of dust pans except the ones you sweep into and then empty.  Sounds like you have a vac opening on the floor that you can open to suck the sweepings into the vac.  Right?  Got a pic?

Thanks

John

Check the link I posted much earlier in this thread.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2007, 07:47:57 PM »

David,

Thank you.  Well duh!  Don'tnow how I missed that.  I read your thread and visited the other.

Thanks again,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Christyhicks

1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2007, 07:59:37 PM »

This site,  www.centralvacuumstores.com ,  has vac fittings that allow you to go from thinwall vacuum pipe to standard sizes of pvc.  The important thing to remember about plumbing pipe is that you can have "steps" or ridges where the fittings join together.  It is really important to ream any edges that stick up, and to make sure you don't have any sharp edges that could snag fuzz and stuff. 

Christy Hicks

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
lyndon
1988 MC-9 DDC 6V92TA Fuller T-11605D

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2007, 10:00:44 PM »

The central vac in our house came with a couple sizes of turbine-powered beater bars. I have used these with the shop vac, where the house hose won't reach, and they do a great job. No extra cords or power to worry about. Definitely something to consider for the bus.

Suction is probably compromised, so you need enough power. The shop vac is 5 hp and I think the house vac is 6.5 hp.

Don

Don
1988 MC-9
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: