Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 17, 2014, 10:34:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: roof AC into the transit bus roof hatch...can it be done?  (Read 2606 times)
86neoplan

Ignore
« on: May 28, 2006, 02:11:02 PM »

I was looking for a spot to add a roof AC unit, and the only real place that would even come close (thanks sutrak) is the rear roof escape hatch.

I also am not real sure if a AC unit mounted there will cool the whole coach down. granted, its only like 24' on the inside, but will it? I would love a heat strip as well, but we'll see...

How do you make that fit? I have no welding skills, at this point anyhow. Can these be bought someplace?

thanks

shawn

Proud single custodial dad to a wonderful 14 year old son, Owner of a 1986 Neoplan 26' transit Bus AN408, Great weekender...Lots of work to come on this bus, can't wait to get her done! 8.2L with a Allison AT545...
jlaney
prevost one

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 02:25:35 PM »

hey
i used the fresh air vents on top of my prevost and framed it out to a 14/14 hole and mounted
2 13,500 btu coleman mark 111 works ok for me, j.t. laney

j.t. laney  tyler texas 1980 prevost lemirage
belfert

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 02:29:39 PM »

The escape hatch is a popular place to put an A/C unit.

Does the Sutrak unit even work?  If not, it is likely not worth fixing.  The Sutrak is probaby way over sized for an RV.  It was sized for a load of passengers plus the doors constantly opening and closing on a bus route.  You'll probably lighten the bus as much as 1,000 lbs with the Sutrak removed.

There should be welding shops or maybe a firend with a welder around that could weld up a 14"x14" opening inside the escape hatch.  The most difficult part would be adding the metal to cover the gap between the 24" opening and the 14" opening and making it water tight.

Brian Elfert
86neoplan

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 04:50:56 PM »

well, the compressor is locked up on it, and from what i understand, the TA that owned these buses could never keep belts on the ac unit. My thought was to get rv ac units and a generator, and rig them up and use them on the road.

The sutrak unfortunately also runs the heat in the bus, and I am not sure how big of a opening I would have if it was gone.

shawn

Proud single custodial dad to a wonderful 14 year old son, Owner of a 1986 Neoplan 26' transit Bus AN408, Great weekender...Lots of work to come on this bus, can't wait to get her done! 8.2L with a Allison AT545...
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 08:23:40 PM »

My AC's are in the hatches.  If I were still at the stage of choice,  I'd  keep the hatches useable and move the AC's to the side or some where else.  You have a cool bus so you may want to plan your 24'x8' sundeck up on the roof.  Maybe NCbob will let you try his "Little Giant"Grin for getting up thru the hatch. Plus you never know if you'll need the hatrch it for it's original purpose, getting out if the bus is on it's side Shocked,hope not.   And if you dont need use it for a sun deck, you'll occasionally find reason to get on the roof

The heat strip on the colmans is a waste of money,  I use the little cubes for heating when plugged in.
Also get an AC that has 3 Speed fans with A true low.  The coleman "low" is really "medium" and too much for night some times and I think that is also why the haet strrips don't feel warm because the convective cooling from the fans.  I take the plastic oscillating fans for sleeping.  A heat strip on a unit with a true low speed fan may work but I haven't tried one.

If your in a hurry and can spare the floor space you can try one of these:
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0621018938.1148871444@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccggaddhlldkdlgcgelceffdfgidgio.0&CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc/searchResults.jsp&MID=9876&N=2984+4370&pos=n08, and you won't have to build a frame.   Maybe drill a hole or stick something in a window  try to find aunit that evaporates the condensate whichever you get.

Lot's of good thing you could do, let us know how you work it out.

My opinion only with no warranty or guarantee expicit or implied.

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: