Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 01:33:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bluegrass music pikin  (Read 5599 times)
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2007, 04:27:41 PM »

Charles,

I don't know how far you are from the upstate, but you should check out Owings

there is quite the bluegrass goins on there.  (not quite a movement)

Sat night is bluegrass open mike kinda sort, not organized but sometimes guided a little.

Heard quite the rendition of Orange Blossom Trail,  Jack Conrad woulda had goose bumps Cheesy

If your tryin to learn, go on monday night.  they gather to show each other and help the willing and learn.

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2007, 07:29:43 PM »

Hi Charles, if you're near central SC (W Columbia), there's a great bluegrass picking place called "Bill's Picking Parlor".   Open mike for those that wish, but the quality of "amateurs" is remarkable. 
Where are you in SC?  I do a little picking with a group that's located in central upstate SC.
They are usually looking for pickers to jam with.  We won't practice so jams are the only way to maintain one's skills.  Smiley   If you're near Rock Hill, let me know and I'll hook you up!
About all we use our bus for is attending bluegrass festivals.  Season starts Mother's Day weekend with Denton, NC, then we'll do Gene's bus rally a week later.  June has Mt. Airy, NC, Oakboro, NC.  July 4th, Laurel Lakes Campground, Fayetteville, NC (good fireworks show).  Ad infinitum.   You oughta join us!  If you decide to do a festival in a bus, get some early reservations so's you be able to park the bus in a reasonable campsite.   This is especially true for Denton.   
Cliff, how's that bango picking coming?   Grin  You gotta spend an hour a day.   Sad
BTW Charles there's a pix of Linda (of Linda and Kirby fame) playing a really nice bass in Gary L's Palmetto Cove October NON-Rally photos.  Reckon you should join us (and Cliff 'n Julie, of course!) at Palmetto Cove next fall...and this spring at Gene's rally. Smiley
Try: http://community.webshots.com/user/converter101
There's a right good many good bus pix on Gary's website too!  And people.  Lots of bus owners.  You can put a face on most of the guys posting on this site from Gary's pix. Wink

Cheerio, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
tomhamrick

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 05:37:41 AM »

Newbee, WNCW is a pretty good station and is about 5 miles from me. Where is Owings? I think Charles is in Spartanburg.
Tom Hamrick

Tom Hamrick
1991 Prevost H3-40 VIP
1981 Eagle 10
Forest City, NC
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2007, 07:15:26 AM »

Ah-hah,  is he the Charles of infamous BBQ and Fenderskirt Fame?

Owings is in Laurens county not far from I-385 at the flashing light on 14 near Gray Court.

Just turn and cross the rr tracks by the old feed store and it's at the end of the old town buildings.

they don't charge, but be sure to by a soda to help keep the lights on.

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
cody

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2007, 08:05:34 AM »

We're really looking forward to the jamming tent, I enjoy bluegrass a lot and even tho my fingers arn't working anymore, there is nothing wrong with my listening.  We got many friends that play bluegrass and even a few that make a couple of bucks doing it, one of the highlights of our summers is to head to columbus ohio for the MACC, it's 11 days of music, jamming, and just plain good fun.  My biggest fear is that the way the bad weather is following us that florida will be hit with a major blizzard soon after we get to jacks place and everyone will be mad at us, maybe we can just blame Libby, cause I'm just to pure and innocent to destroy an entire state like that. lol
Danny

87' MCI 102A3 - getting there...

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2007, 08:49:13 AM »

Yeah, I'm a bluegrass picker...  I like the blues as well! 

Cookeville, TN
Danny

I have heard it said, "life comes at you fast".  I didn't know it would be in the shape of a bus  :-)
rgrauto

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2007, 10:41:01 AM »

I also do a little pickin. I play guitar in a country/southern rock band in northeast Ga.   We can play some fiddle tunes for clogging ,but mainly country. As most musicans if you learn one instrunent you!ll try to play others .so I play the fiddle and the banjo a little ,and I love it. I hope someday that l'll get to play a little music with you Guys and Gals.

Glen, rauto 1967 Mci 5a in beautiful  NE Ga.

i
jlaney
prevost one

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2007, 06:49:10 PM »

down here in texas
near my place in tyler , we seem to have enough week in shows which are inside, and have some good jam at friends houses.  i have a pretty good selection of instruments. and love bluegrass gospel. if you are down in my neck of the woods give me a shout. thanks j.t.

j.t. laney  tyler texas 1980 prevost lemirage
Charles in SC

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2007, 07:17:59 PM »

Rgrauto, what part of Ga are you in, I get over to the Dillard/Clayton area a couple of times a year.

S8M 5303 built in 1969, converted in 2000
rgrauto

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2007, 08:31:22 PM »

Charles in SC    I live in Demorest Ga. and that is about 25 or 30 miles south of clayton Ga.   Our band,  (5wide )  Nascar influence,  has played at TC lounge/ steakhouse 441 south of Clayton . We also played the VFW club in Toccoa Ga. several times. We played  every other weekend last summer at the Sugarmill Campground Hw197 north in Batesville Ga.  Our band had a regular gig at the Firehouse Bar&Grill in Helen Ga. till it burned this year. So if you have been in this area the last several years you may have heard us.  We haven't played any the two months because my wife was  doing chemo(She is getting better now) and one of our 40yr old band members wife is having a baby(here next week ) so we took a break.
                     Sorry I told you more than you wanted to know, Glen.
Songman

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2007, 03:24:24 AM »

Hey Glen,

A good friend of mine named Wendell Cox plays guitar for Travis Tritt. He has a brother who used to play in a band around Helen. I don't know his name but Wendell and I did go over there one time to see him when he was playing. Sounds like you have been playing the area for a while so you might have run across him.

There's a lot of good music from North GA. I'm from Dalton and just about all the boys in Travis' original band were from around Blue Ridge, Ellijay, Cumming, Douglasville, etc.

Dale
captain ron

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2007, 06:37:33 AM »

Our band had a regular gig at the Firehouse Bar&Grill in Helen Ga. till it burned this year. So if you have been in this area the last several years you may have heard us.
Obviously the HOTTEST band in Georgia  Grin

Song List
1. Burning Down the House
2. Fire
3. Fire and Rain
4. I'm so Hot for You
5. I'm the Fireman
6. I'm on Fire
7. Burning Infurno
8. Great Balls of Fire
9. Standing Outside the Fire
10. Fire on the Mountain
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 06:43:25 AM by Charley Davidson » Logged
michal

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2007, 09:24:58 AM »

How many folks out there are into pikin? I play a little bit of bluegrass and some old time music.
   Always Pickin and a grinnin!  Guitars and Eagles is what I always say!
prevost82
82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed

82 Prevost Marathon XL

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2007, 09:46:59 AM »

I have never been exposed to true southern Blue Grass, I grow up in a keyboard jazz family, both parents play in swing bands, playing piano. I grew up playing piano and hammond with influences from Jimmy Smith and later Brian Auger, to name a few. I been in the music scene for over 30 yrs playing jazz R&B and blues and in the last 10 or so years it's just been a hobby and I'm enjoying it more. Also in the last 10 yrs I have played more country because I'm living in the "Country Capital of Canada" and enjoyed learning and playing a new style. I look forward to retirement so I can get together with some of you blue grass players and mix it up.... yea I know not too many keyboards in blue grass .... but could be fun.
Keep on Pickin'
Ron
michal

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2007, 10:28:30 AM »

I'm counting on my Eagle to carry me and the boys a few laps round the U.S. You can check our crazy schedule at my website- michalbaileydotcom. Come on out and bring your bus!!! I'd love to see it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: