Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 18, 2014, 06:21:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have higher fuel prices changed how you use your bus and How?  (Read 8081 times)
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2007, 07:27:17 PM »

Fuel prices haven't changed how much or how often we use the bus or how far we travel but prices have changed how fast I drive.  That's also partially because we have more time on our hands in our full time existence.  If we want to spend the winter in Mexico and the summer in Canada that's probably 7,000 miles if we never went anywhere else.  So we just have to make the budget work.  Maybe we'll drive less sidetrips than we would have otherwise but we'll never really know because this is all so new for us.  Whatever we do from now on will just be "normal".

And Mexico is helping with the fuel costs too.  I haven't bought diesel down here yet but gas is about 2/3 of the price it is at home. 

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
TexasBorderDude
Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society

Nothing simple is ever easy...

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 05:35:37 AM »

Jack, I'm going to take the toad, drive in to Arcadia Tractor Supply, then get a transfer pump.  I'll be able to drive 73 feet to your bus and fill 'er up. Grin

dg

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 06:24:27 AM »

Thats why I moved my bus into the shop LOL    Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
larryh
4905A-893 P8M

ready to run with the big dogs

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 08:17:45 AM »

I am working on travel plans now I am adding a 250 gal caged tank with a transfer pump setup to transfer fuel on the go (Bio-Diesel) this give me a safe range of 3,000 miles round trip 8mpg avg. So if I want to splurge and add a tank of dino-diesel fill I can still travel relative inexpensive. Bio-diesel at 70 cents a gallon.

I can still afford to visit grand kids at this rate and explore around closer to me.

LarryH

Savvy ponderable:
A cowboy's only afraid of two things:
havin' ta walk,
and the love of a good woman.
"This posting was generated using an environmentally friendly, self contained flatulence generator, therefore no fossils or neutrons were harmed in the creation of this posting.

Quartzsite,
Frank @ TX

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 08:32:32 AM »

Jack,
I can't see changing the way we travel.
Some short trips thru the year and snow bird for the winter.
We look at the cost of the overall trip not just fuel.
This winter going to Q-site, and Mexico for a few months.
The fuel costs are just a small part of the big picture.
If you can't afford a few gallons of fuel ,
 may be you should reconsider this as a hobby worth while for you.
Frank
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007, 10:11:18 AM »

All I can say is my PRICES aree reflecting our fuel costs! And I must say that some lucky folks have booked plenty early and have a gauranteed price that is gonna sting when I actually do the trip. But then there are others who chose to wait to book that are going to be very surprised when they do !  Oh yeah I have also started using the cruise control more often, which means less fuel consuption as I don't have to get clearance from the fight tower for my travel plans anymore! Wow unbelievable how much farther a tank of fuel lasts now!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Catskinner!

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2007, 10:43:21 AM »

Jack

Patti and I are not going to make it to your Rally this year.  We will miss
seeing everyone that we have seen at this time, for the last four or five
years.  It is not the cost of fuel, but we are going to Quartsite two weeks
later and we have numerous Basketball and Volleyball games to attend
in between these times and yes we go in the bus to all of them.

So tell everyone we said hello and we wish everyone a MERRY CHRISTMAS
and a HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Catskinner!
Sonnie and Patti Gray
72 0/5 Eagle, 3406 Cat
Pottsboro, Texas
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2007, 12:07:33 PM »

Frank...you said..."If you can't afford a few gallons of fuel ,
 may be you should reconsider this as a hobby worth while for you."

It's not as much as about being able to afford it as I am madder than (Fill in the appropriate word here) at big oil...and when I don't have to give them money...I don't!

PS...can't wait to get the sailboat in the water in the spring and really giv' em' the finger!

Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2007, 12:16:28 PM »

Jack

Patti and I are not going to make it to your Rally this year.  We will miss
seeing everyone that we have seen at this time, for the last four or five
years.  It is not the cost of fuel, but we are going to Quartsite two weeks
later and we have numerous Basketball and Volleyball games to attend
in between these times and yes we go in the bus to all of them.

So tell everyone we said hello and we wish everyone a MERRY CHRISTMAS
and a HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Catskinner!
Sonnie and Patti Gray
72 0/5 Eagle, 3406 Cat
Pottsboro, Texas

Sonnie,
    It seems, once retired, we all have to much to do.  How did we manage when we worked?  Anyway, we always enjoyed seein' you and Patti, we will miss ya'll, but we understand.  Ya'll have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Frank @ TX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2007, 01:31:45 PM »

Hi jackhartjr,
I'll have to admit I'm a little half cocked when it comes to folks crying that they can't do something 'cause of fuel price.
I know plenty for guys that rebuild old cars and just have them on display. 
Just like an office desk.  That's what they want to do.
They don't run them around. 
But if they wanted to run them to the store to get a loaf of bread they wouldn't bitch about the gas price is holding them back.
The major $$ are already spent in creating the beast to your planed use.
Just use it that way, what ever way you intended.

It would be like a guy that created this wonderfull sterio system , but doesn't play any music on it because it would use electricity.
Every body can see that guy with the sterio would be silly, but there is no difference with the guy that buys/builds a bus/motor home and will not use it as planed. 
I don't know, maybe some folks would rather build/own these palaces than to use them.
If that was their plan , that's great, but then they shouldn't bitch about the fuel price too. 
Just my 2 cents
Frank
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2007, 02:33:53 PM »

Jack - I wouldn't worry about Doyle just yet - I just checked my bus (he was only parked next to it for a minute) and its on E now - He shouldn't need fuel until Bussin'08 - there'll be plenty of tanks to choose from - LOL

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2007, 02:51:56 PM »

I'll have to admit I'm a little half cocked when it comes to folks crying that they can't do something 'cause of fuel price.

But if they wanted to run them to the store to get a loaf of bread they wouldn't bitch about the gas price is holding them back.

I don't know, maybe some folks would rather build/own these palaces than to use them.
If that was their plan , that's great, but then they shouldn't bitch about the fuel price too. 
Just my 2 cents
Frank

Frank,

Please pardon my ignorance, but I really don't see what, where or who these comments are directed.

After rereading all the POSTS and COMMENTS by others, at least under my definition of "bitchin", I don't get it!

Plus, the question by Jack is asking "Have higher fuel prices changed how you use your bus and How?

Any response, is a legitimate answer for that person.

Cliff
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 03:09:55 PM by FloridaCliff » Logged

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2007, 04:10:04 PM »

The price of fuel doesn't bother me because it is a small part of the travelling expense. When your are staying at Mall Wart or truck stop you're not buying a hotel room. Most of the time you're not going to restaurants, (supper out once in a while though). Driving the bus is a lot cheaper than buying air line tickets for four, etc, etc. You have to look at the price of fuel in the context of the big picture... Alsoremember 20, 30 years ago gas took a much bigger chunk of your pay check than it does today. So fill er up and go!

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
larryh
4905A-893 P8M

ready to run with the big dogs

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2007, 05:14:11 PM »

PAYCHECK???  You must be talking about the thank you note from our righteous leaders telling me thank you for the donation.

Merry Christmas to all.

LarryH

Savvy ponderable:
A cowboy's only afraid of two things:
havin' ta walk,
and the love of a good woman.
"This posting was generated using an environmentally friendly, self contained flatulence generator, therefore no fossils or neutrons were harmed in the creation of this posting.

Quartzsite,
junkman42

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2007, 06:35:27 AM »

Let Me get this right, If fuel is a little on the high side and I try to plan a little better perhaps I  am in the wrong hobby?  Give Me a break, I dont get the post.  John
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: