Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 15, 2014, 06:02:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiser’s website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how close to the motor can a gas tank be?  (Read 938 times)
86neoplan

Ignore
« on: May 29, 2006, 09:44:03 AM »

I may take the advice of others on this board, and remove the sutrak unit off the coach entirely. That being said, I am going to be installing a generator. I know where that is going to go, but I have a question.

since I am removing the AC compressor from the passenger side of the bus, it is going to leave me a ton of room. I was thinking about putting a plastic fuel tak where that was, and simply run a fuel line up to the generator, with a small electric pump too, I'm sure.

Is this legal to have a gasoline tank so close to the diesel engine? I was thinking a nice small 15 gallon tank or so, just enough to run it.

the other thought was a small tank like from a chevy astro, long and narrow 17 gallon, and just use that under the coach someplace, if there is room...

any thoughts?

shawn

Proud single custodial dad to a wonderful 14 year old son, Owner of a 1986 Neoplan 26' transit Bus AN408, Great weekender...Lots of work to come on this bus, can't wait to get her done! 8.2L with a Allison AT545...
DrDave

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 11:16:16 AM »

I may take the advice of others on this board, and remove the sutrak unit off the coach entirely. That being said, I am going to be installing a generator. I know where that is going to go, but I have a question.

since I am removing the AC compressor from the passenger side of the bus, it is going to leave me a ton of room. I was thinking about putting a plastic fuel tak where that was, and simply run a fuel line up to the generator, with a small electric pump too, I'm sure.

Is this legal to have a gasoline tank so close to the diesel engine? I was thinking a nice small 15 gallon tank or so, just enough to run it.

the other thought was a small tank like from a chevy astro, long and narrow 17 gallon, and just use that under the coach someplace, if there is room...

any thoughts?

shawn

Fuel tanks should not be forward of the front axles or behind the rear axles for safety reasons. I would not place a Gasoline tank
anywhere near to the bus engine for any reason. Just asking for burn-down problems and potentially explosive results.

Find some place safe and away from moving or hot parts, away from where shedding a tire will not impact the tank. BOOM !
NCbob

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 03:26:27 PM »

But whatever you do....vent it to asmosphere and use a solid cap on the fill so no vapors (they're heavier than air) can be close to

anything which might park, or arc and burn your house down!  Embarrassed

NCbob

I fixed the double posting Bob. DML
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 05:03:40 PM by Driving MissLazy » Logged
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 06:38:39 PM »

I wouldn't put a gasoline tank in the engine compartment period.   Unlike diesel, any leak or accident and your coach is toast....not to mention the liability exposure.  If you have to use a gasoline genset, install a metal tank in a bay where the  filler and vent are external to the coach.  And don't put anything that could spark or ignite leaking fuel in that compartment (inverters, batteries, electrical panels, ect).  Treat it like LP. 
BTW, my Astro has a 28 gallon fuel tank?  It is long and narrow.  You will find some nice marine tanks that are as safe as it gets, for gasoline, and have proper fittings in them.   Auto tanks are going to require scabbing a filler onto the tank.  I wouldn't use a plastic tank.  They are prone to seeping around the fittings.   
Be certain the tank is bonded to the bus chassis...if you use a fuel gauge it'll have to be grounded for the guage to operate. BTW, a gasoline genset in the engine compartment is probably a no-no too.  Try for a diesel generator if at all possible. You'll have a much better outcome in the long run.   Single fuel concept!  Sooo much easier.
Good luck, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: